PDA

View Full Version : Trying new things...

375supermag
03-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Hi...

For some difficult to fathom reason, I have at the ripe old age of 60, decided to start trying some new things.

Maybe a mid-life crisis, maybe just wanted something new and different, I dunno...

Anyway, last week on the spur of the moment (sorta), I bought my first polymer handgun, a S&W M&P in 40 S&W.

Today, I was out shopping for 40S&W reloading dies. I have only ever used RCBS dies for the last 35 years, ever since a bad experience with Lee dies. I have never had any issues with RCBS quality or customer service. I am VERY happy with all my RCBS products.

And yet, today, I bought a set of Hornady Custom Grade dies in 40S&W. Hornady is not a new company to me...I have used a few of their products in the past...I think their taper crimp dies for semi-auto pistol cartridges are great. They make reliable feeding of pistol cartridges an absolute certainty. I run all of my semi-auto rounds through a Hornady taper crimp die as a final step.

Still, I have no idea why I would choose their reloading dies over RCBS. Maybe it is just a desire to try new things, sort of like buying a polymer-framed pistol after spending my entire adult life extolling the superiority of the 1911 design.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that the Hornady dies were $44.99 and RCBS were $52.99. It also may have something to do with the fact that Hornady wants to give me 100 free bullets just for buying their dies, as much as a $35 gift.

At any rate, for $35 worth of bullets that I will buy anyway, the less expensive die set seems like a pretty good deal. If the Hornady dies don't match RCBS quality, the most I am out is about $10...the difference between the cost of the bullets and the cost of the die set.

I already have a bunch of 40S&W brass, plus a couple boxes of factory ammo for use in breaking in my new pistol, so as soon as my new Wilson case gauge that I ordered from Brownell's arrives, I will be set-up to reload 40 S&W. I also ordered a Hornady taper crimp die from Midway,along with a few other goodies.

Does anyone have any remarks or reviews on Hornady Custom Grade dies? Good? Bad?

As far as comments on trying new things so late in life, I would be willing to listen to any advice on that front. This all really started last year when after about 40 years of only American made cars...mostly Dodge trucks, I bought my first import... a Nissan Altima.

I really have no idea where this is all headed... import cars, polymer handguns, next thing you know I'll be listening to rap music and voting Democrat.

firebrick43
03-07-2015, 10:14 PM
We promise to hit you over the head before you spiral down into THAT abyss.

MtGun44
03-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Hornady are my current favorite dies, for at least the last 6-8 years.

I like your optimism. "mid life at 60" hope you are right!

Sweetpea
03-07-2015, 10:44 PM
I prefer Hornady dies, for several reasons.

Exceptional quality, and a MUCH better locking ring, for starters...

firebrick43
03-07-2015, 10:57 PM
That's for sure. Even though I don't have a single hornady die all mine wear their lock rings !

Garyshome
03-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Voting for Hillary?

375supermag
03-08-2015, 12:46 AM
Voting for Hillary?

Not in this lifetime...

Or any other Democrat...I see them for what they are.

375supermag
03-08-2015, 12:47 AM
We promise to hit you over the head before you spiral down into THAT abyss.

please do...

dikman
03-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Don't worry, if you get to the stage of listening to rap music you'll be so far gone that we won't hear from you anymore (won't want to, anyway!).

I was made redundant at 59 3/4 (real shame that, I thought [smilie=1:) and so started doing a few trips on my mo'sickle. My wife was a bit concerned at me being around the house a bit more, but it was nice to put my feet up a bit. A couple of years later I suddenly became interested in muzzleloading rifles (none of those polymer things for me :)) and my wife encouraged me to join a club. Since then it's become something of an obsession, and has branched out to single-action revolvers and lever guns.

I'm having a great time, although I don't think mine qualifies as a "mid-life crisis" (already had a couple of those!) more like a delayed second childhood :bigsmyl2:.

WRideout
03-08-2015, 08:29 AM
Remember, 60 is the new 58. You are only an old timer when cutting the grass has become a consuming passion for you. BTW, I was born when Eisenhower was president.

Wayne

Dan Cash
03-08-2015, 08:47 AM
I have some Hornady and Pacific dies that are just fine. I buy many of my die sets used so can speak about the longevity of the dies and these two companies make dies that last though Redding is my favorite.

lightman
03-08-2015, 07:34 PM
We all have our favorites, but truthfully they all make good ammo. I'm right behind you in years and completely understand this post! Tupperwear pistols, who would have thought it!!!

375supermag
03-08-2015, 08:14 PM
We all have our favorites, but truthfully they all make good ammo. I'm right behind you in years and completely understand this post! Tupperwear pistols, who would have thought it!!!

Hi...
Little range report...

Went over to the gun club today, waded through snow , but managed to do a function and reliability test on the M&P40.

Shot 100 rounds , the pistol handled them with no problems. Shot the 165gr FMJ a bit low at 7 yards but a reasonable group for the first time out.

It shot the 180gr FMJ a bit closer to point of aim at 7yds, but a nice tight group of about 35 rounds. Definite potential with the heavier bullet, don't know if this is normal for the M&P to shoot heavier bullets better or an anomaly. Maybe it is indicative of a propensity of all .40S&W pistols to prefer heavier bullets. I don't have any prior experience with this caliber, it's all a learning experience. My son ran the last 15 rounds of a box of Blazer brass 180gr FMJ through the pistol at the 25yd steel gong (6") and hit it several times. Not too bad for the first time out with a new pistol.

Probably get back over to the club in a couple of weeks to shoot a couple hundred more rounds. By then i should have a better baseline to judge what bullet weight the M&P prefers. I'll order some bullets and by the time they arrive, I should have most of my other reloading chores completed and, hopefully, have some time to start reloading for this pistol.

it did seem strange to go shooting without at least one 1911 in .45ACP or a SA or DA revolver. Almost like I violated some societal taboo or something.

texassako
03-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Just remember, change is not necessarily bad. Several good die makers out there, and Tupperware guns would be long gone if something was wrong with them. Sometimes you can even be mistaken in an old belief. Your Altima came from Mississippi, while the Ram had a good chance of coming from Mexico.

1911KY
03-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Since you are in the mood to try new things, try one of those red dot sights on your M&P if you haven't already, you may find that you love it!!

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/fastfire-series/fastfire-2

Try powder coating your bullets if don't already!! It's easy and mess free!!

dudel
03-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Hornady's are my favorite die. Started with them almost 30 years ago. I have a few RCBS, Lyman and Lee die sets that I got during the recent shortage. The Lee's work well enough; but they tend to get light surface rust on the bench; while the others remain rust free.

I like Hornady's zip spindle (holds position better than Lee's threadless spindle). I like the longer die body (some Lee's have a really short die body, I have to use the lock nut under the die plate rather than above). I like the sliding sleeve seater (has always worked for me). The TiN sizers are great. Easy removal of the seating stem for cleaning. Their customer service is right up there with RCBS and Dillon. As you noted, the free bullets is just icing on the cake. Others might be less expensive; but not when you factor in the bullets.

largom
03-10-2015, 12:09 PM
I have Lyman, RCBS, Lee, Pacific, Redding, Forster and Hornady. The Hornady dies are my favorite for general handloading. The VERY expensive Redding dies are used for the best precision.

Larry

Walter Laich
03-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Remember, 60 is the new 58. You are only an old timer when cutting the grass has become a consuming passion for you. BTW, I was born when Eisenhower was president.

Wayne

Truman was in his second year as POTUS when I was born

bedbugbilly
03-11-2015, 09:36 PM
LOL I admire your spirit! 60 an "mid life"? That is loosely interpreted that you plan on living to 120?

I'm 62, and unfortunately, I know I have passed over the "crest" and am now on the "down hill" slope . . . BUT . . . being the ages we are means that we have earned the right to try new things! I'm adding several new cartridges this year to reload which means a couple of hew handguns. The last thing i want is to look back in the years to come and say . . "I wish I had . . . ".

Enjoy those "new things" . . . if they don't work, you an always go back to what you were using . . nd have fun while you're doing it! This life isn't a "trial run". ;-)

Now . . . about that Democrat thing . . . . :-)