PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at a shot maker

Chapo
03-07-2015, 06:16 PM
This is my first attempt at building a shot maker using some "backyard engineering." Have not used it yet as I am still making structural changes. I know i could buy a shot maker but i really wanted to build something on my own. Will be making approx #8 shot. Have some questions:

1. The sheathing I placed is to divide/encase the propane burner from the plastic buckets so that they won't melt. Could the plastic buckets melt?
2. Does the ramp need to be longer?
3. I am thinking of getting more sheathing to place on the bottom and inside side panels covering the wood so the wood won't catch on fire. Good idea?
4. I ordered the micro drill bits with a chuck for them. Any ideas or suggestions to make sure they don't break asides from chucking them in the drill or press?

Some notes:

- The third bolt (on the left) is not drilled yet. This was my first hole and made it too high. So it will remain without the hollow hole.
- The black bucket is for overflow
- I don't have welder nor the knowledge :(

Please have at it and help me make a better product.

133163 133164used sheathing to separate the heat from burner and plastic bucket 133165burner from a coleman stove 133167 133168 133169picture from the backside. This is what I want to cover in sheathing so wood won't burn.

​Thanks all.....

Sitsinhedges
03-08-2015, 04:44 AM
I think you need the ramp to be hot to stop the lead freezing on it. There's no way of doing that with this design. If you go to a local fabrication shop they would make a pot with a built in ramp that would work for not much.

Chapo
03-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Ok. Thanks. Great point. I thought the heat from the burner and the proximity of the sheathing to the heat and the fact the sheathing is so thin would heat it up enough. Do you think it may heated enough?

Chapo
03-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Any other ideas to there? Bump.

too many things
03-17-2015, 08:29 PM
YEA good luck . you have a lot to look forward too

mtgrs737
03-18-2015, 10:50 AM
I would use a thicker piece of metal to make the ramp out of and run it under the melting pot so that it gets heated too. Keep the drop from the ramp to the coolant as short as possible and heat the lead to the 600 degree range, experimenting with the temp. until it works for you. Make sure you use only super clean lead alloy with as little tin in it as possible, clip on wheel weights will make decent shot most of the time but watch out for Zn zinc weights they will clog your drippers. I would start with a drip hole of about .021" to .023" and keep the inlet lead level low enough that the head pressure on the inlet of the dripper is low or you can get a stream instead of a drip. Good luck and don't give up!