PDA

View Full Version : Pewter find: Melt or Keep?

Cloudwraith
03-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Found this piece at a local goodwill along with some other items. 3 pounds for 10.00. Not sure if this piece is worth anything but the rest is fodder. Thoughts?

flydoc
03-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Keep it for your favorite quaff , to slake your thirst while slaving over a hot smelting pot, at least till the zombies start showing up. Looks like it is good shape and has some interesting stamps, might be worth investigating.

twc1964
03-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Not sure if their worth any more than their weight in tin. I found a piece that looks like a church collection plate of pewter. Looks very old and is stamped in late 1700's . Weighs 7 pounds. Im holding off melting it but havent found anything at all on it concerning value. Someone will chime in soon im betting.

jsizemore
03-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Made in 2003 for Annheiser-Busch. Hmmmm-PUDDLE TIME!!

colt1960
03-07-2015, 05:51 PM
If it were mine it would be in the mix.

RogerDat
03-07-2015, 06:01 PM
I should get a life I recognized the Annheiser-Busch logo way to quickly.

I'm not so sure it should be a puddle, beer memorabilia does sometimes have some value, I'm guessing those steins might not be too common. Expensive brand marketing items did not get purchased nearly as often. And really nice ones may have been given to a limited number of people as swag at an event.

If you can't find one like it on eBay then it is rare (or somewhat rare) so probably worth holding onto. Or put it up on eBay with a $35 buy it now. See if your sucker was already born and has internet access.

William Yanda
03-07-2015, 06:49 PM
When I find something which may have more value, I offer it for sale. No takers, I don't feel bad about keeping it as an ingot. IME not much brings over pewter ingot value, though I have sold a couple of Steiff Colonial Williamsburg items. They don't all sell that way though.

bangerjim
03-07-2015, 07:02 PM
I sure WOULD keep it!!!!!! That well marked it is not your ordinary run-of-the-mill food service ware.

Use to drink my favorite sudzzzzz out of. I would definitely add it to my collection of drinking tools.

Boolits are not worth THAT much. Get some Sn other places.

banger

Ken G
03-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Personally I would put it on the shelf, you could always smelt it later. I searched ebay and found two identical mugs listed with asking prices of $35 and $47. If they sell for those prices are anybody's guess. I found some recent sales of the same mug with offers less than the asking prices of $26 and $28.

Buck Neck It
03-08-2015, 12:14 AM
It has to be really beaten up before I will melt it. I am just an old softie, I guess.

On the other hand, I once cut up a really nice M98 to make a sporter. I really regret doing that, but it is a useful rifle.

Garyshome
03-08-2015, 12:33 AM
It's TIN how much can it be worth. I would melt it when I needed it, but not 1 second before.

Three44s
03-08-2015, 12:59 AM
It looks like it should be put back to work doing the job it was made for!

You could always have a change of heart and smelt it ........... it's hard to bring it back from the ingot ......... easy to put it in an ingot later!

Look for tin in other places and save this one for "fun" and recreational hydration purposes!

A real "squire" you'll be a swiggin' down your favorite stuff in that one I say!

Best regards

Three 44s

Cloudwraith
03-08-2015, 01:05 PM
I've got plenty of pewter for now. It stays as is, in my china cabinet as decor....for now :) Thanks for the suggestions all!

Geezer in NH
03-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Melt IMHO

LUCKYDAWG13
03-09-2015, 09:10 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon13.png in the mix it's Clydesdale :takinWiz: :bigsmyl2:

500MAG
03-09-2015, 09:12 PM
I picked up about 8 pounds this weekend at the thrift stores paid about $11.

Cloudwraith
03-10-2015, 06:48 PM
I picked up about 8 pounds this weekend at the thrift stores paid about $11.

Well done! I love visiting thrift stores with my wife. She likes to browse and I get brownie points for going along (always keeping an eye out for pewter or cast iron or ladles or hot plates or possible ingot molds or .......)

RogerDat
03-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Well done! I love visiting thrift stores with my wife. She likes to browse and I get brownie points for going along (always keeping an eye out for pewter or cast iron or ladles or hot plates or possible ingot molds or .......)

I do get some weird looks if anyone catches me with my battery powered digital scale getting a weight on pewter items. I guess most of the shoppers hold them up and look at them. Who knew?
Nice thing about winter scale fits in my jacket pocket.

Cloudwraith
03-11-2015, 07:17 PM
I do get some weird looks if anyone catches me with my battery powered digital scale getting a weight on pewter items. I guess most of the shoppers hold them up and look at them. Who knew?
Nice thing about winter scale fits in my jacket pocket.

I have a digital pull scale with a hook. I can hang things from it to get weight. Small and cheap (china for about $5)

RogerDat
03-12-2015, 05:23 PM
I have a digital pull scale with a hook. I can hang things from it to get weight. Small and cheap (china for about $5)

I went with one of the HF digital scales that can run off of batteries, but did look at those hanging weight scales too.

Rooster
03-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Did they have the scales at the HF store? I'll check my local HF this weekend as I can't guesstimate weight worth a flip. Don't ask my wife about that one....sheesh.

Swede44mag
03-13-2015, 10:24 AM
How did you know it was pewter?

Cloudwraith
03-13-2015, 06:47 PM
How did you know it was pewter?

Taste test.

Actually, it was experience. I know Sheffield makes pewter items, it came from Great Britain. I saw the hallmarks, it was either pewter or silver plate and it didn't have the tarnish of silver plate. The look inside and on the bottom was the give away. Plus, it was malleable and felt like pewter to me.

RogerDat
03-13-2015, 11:19 PM
Did they have the scales at the HF store? I'll check my local HF this weekend as I can't guesstimate weight worth a flip. Don't ask my wife about that one....sheesh.

This is the one I bought. http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html Do a google search for Harbor Freight 20% off coupon, gets that price down to about $15.

The good: runs on batteries, can move between oz, grams or lbs. Seems accurate, when tested against known weight. Can auto subtract weight of container if you start with empty container on the scale and hit Tare. Zero's with the container weight and it is good to go. I use that with an empty coffee container when I want to weigh things like bullets rather than counting them.

The bad: shuts itself off fairly quickly even when using the AC adapter. Limited to weighing 11 lbs. There are some larger and not terribly expensive scales for postal use that go up around 30 lbs. so they would handle weighing out alloys for 25 pound batches better.

I'm happy with it, lets me know what I'm getting and allows me to keep a running tally of pewter on hand.

Beagle333
03-13-2015, 11:22 PM
Didn't even read the first post.... melt it. http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/Syndog71/Emoticons/pot_stirrer.gif

JohnH
03-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Beer comes in bottles for a reason.

MaryB
03-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Semi rare stein for Bud collectors... ebay it use the funds to buy more lead