PDA

View Full Version : Laughter through tears (CFE223 of no use)

ohland
03-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Folks i bought a pound of CFE223 a few years back. Old retrobate loaded up maybe ten rounds, and from what we saw, if it isn't in a suitable pressure range, it is dirty. Which is NOT unexpected. We don't have any gas guns.

So what do I do with a near full pound (minus maybe 150 grains, if that)?

country gent
03-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Buy a gas gun. Look around at other cartridges you have it may work in one of them.

osteodoc08
03-07-2015, 03:36 PM
I've had a favorable experience with CFE223. What were you loading and was there a desire to load down? If wanting to load down, what velocity? Perhaps we can help pick a better powder so you're not wasting money.

GabbyM
03-07-2015, 05:25 PM
My son in law had the same experience with CFE-223. Brought his AR to a halt from crud buildup. In a 223 I'd recommend a magnum primer and max J bullet loads. Rem 7 1/2, CCI 450.

DCM
03-07-2015, 05:27 PM
What exactly were you loading? Cartrige, bullet, charge, primer?? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Not surprised it was dirty as I find that with most ball powder (I think it has to do with the large amount of coating on the powder), but there are a number of factors in how dirty it will be such as load density, pressure and primer.
I have been saying for a while that I would rather have a carbon fouling eraser powder, copper comes out rather easily with the right stuff.

popper
03-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Darn, just loaded a bunch of cfepistol under some old jacketed stuff.

texaswoodworker
03-07-2015, 08:34 PM
My son in law had the same experience with CFE-223. Brought his AR to a halt from crud buildup. In a 223 I'd recommend a magnum primer and max J bullet loads. Rem 7 1/2, CCI 450.

That's odd. I shoot it in mine and it will actually clean the gun somewhat is the barrel is dirty. It does like close to max loads though. Around 27.5gr-28gr seems to be the sweet spot in 223 IIRC.

Here's the MAX loads.

http://www.hodgdon.com/images/CFE223ifabsheet.jpg

GabbyM
03-07-2015, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=texaswoodworker;3169267]That's odd. I shoot it in mine and it will actually clean the gun somewhat is the barrel is dirty. It does like close to max loads though. Around 27.5gr-28gr seems to be the sweet spot in 223 IIRC. [QUOTE]

Not odd just what I recommended.

As you said it likes near max loads. Why not as it's basically a military powder designed for NATO 62,000 psi loads. Which makes max SAMI loads a down load. Like all ball powders I've ran over the last decades. You need a hot primer IMHO to have good results. IME H-335 is dirty using the mild Fed primers in 223. Switch to Rem 7 1/2's and it's clean. Plus accuracy is up to claimed performance. With stick powders in the fast burn rate. My most accurate loads by far are with Fed match primers.

For the time being I'm waning away from ball powders. First I have to run through about five thousand rounds of 223 with 55gr bullets over Ramshot TAC. While I play with stick powder loads.

Loaded up some CFE-223 in my 222 Rem at about 48,000 psi. Over Wolf 223 Primers. Should work but I'm basically just burning that junk up to get rid of it.

Best cure for copper fowling I found. Is the Criterion barrel for my AR-15. Chromed bore. Zero copper fouling even on the first time out where we shot near 200 rounds without cleaning. Running the TAC powder that is a bit dirty but it stabilizes. IN other words builds up to a degree then starts to blow out any extra. Alliant AR-Comp under a 65 or 69 grain bullet is nice. Just starting to work with it. I like clean bores.

texaswoodworker
03-07-2015, 09:50 PM
I just use CCI #400 small rifle primers in mine. I'm not sure how hot they are compared to the Federals or the Remingtons, I just know they work and are accurate.

I actually never have had a problem with copper fouling in any of my guns. I just got the powder since my local powder shop recommended it and said it burned clean. I liked it and wish I could find more of it around here.

bbs70
03-07-2015, 10:07 PM
My Savage 308 bolt gun LOVES CFE223.
49.0 gr under 150gr bullets.
Most accurate of any of the 10 or so powders I've tried in that gun.

I have some CFE223 test loads for my 6.8 black rifle but its been too cold to test them.

GabbyM
03-07-2015, 10:14 PM
CCI #400 is way hotter than a federal and way milder than a Rem 7 1/2.

I 'd already stopped using Feds in AR loads due to soft cups. Then grandson and I were shooting up some twenty year old 223 loaded with Feds. Had this new PSA bolt group which I ended up tossing in the junk. It slam fired a round. But that's a hole nother story. The newer Winchester primers have a few issues also. So I'm running Rem 7 1/2 and CCI-450 in my AR loads. Save the soft stuff for the bolt guns. Won't buy anymore Russian primers because of Putin's insanity.

MaryB
03-08-2015, 01:01 AM
I run CFE223 in my Savage Axis 223 all the time 27.5 grains under a 50grain V-max. It is a little dirty carbon wise but 2 patches and the barrel is usually clean. Great stuff, very accurate...

Screwbolts
03-08-2015, 07:00 AM
I have never run any CFE223 , but isn't this thread a good candidate for the section " surplus and canister powder" OP might actually get more response from that thread. if you find no one to give the powder to, then you are 150 gr. short of a pound of fertilizer if your so inclined. :redneck:

ohland
03-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Old retrobate probably tried it in his 22 K Hornet.

On another thought, what thread is for "Smokeless Powder"? Or for that matter, "Black Powder"?

I did look for a propellant sub-forum that was not Surplus or Canister, but which one issit?