PDA

View Full Version : How can i purify lead?

qkdraw44
03-07-2015, 02:37 PM
I cast 12 guage 525 grain lyman slugs. I am using lead from my fathers door shop. He made radiation proof doors and frames for hospital x-ray rooms. The slugs are coming out at 510 grains. Is there a way to remove all other metals so it is 100% pure lead?

JSnover
03-07-2015, 02:58 PM
If I was you I'd find out what it contains and trade it for known pure lead.
How are the slugs casting? Maybe theyre dropping a little undersized, making them light.

Errokk
03-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Best way I know is just smelt and do not Flux while stirring frequently and skimming the top. Others may have a better idea.

upnorthwis
03-07-2015, 04:19 PM
A 12 gauge 525 gr. slug? I wouldn't even worry about it.

flydoc
03-07-2015, 04:22 PM
I also agree that 510 grains is good enough for the task at hand.

Bzcraig
03-07-2015, 04:50 PM
I'd be willing to bet there is a 'spec' your dad had to use when ordering the lead. If he is still alive ask him, if not the Internet will probably reveal the spec with enough looking. Or call around to scrap metal dealers and find one with an analyzer gun and take them a chunk. It may already be dead soft.

jsizemore
03-07-2015, 06:07 PM
What can 525gr do for you that 510 can't?

bangerjim
03-07-2015, 07:13 PM
510.........525........close enough for gubmint work!

Cast away and do no worry about it.

REMOVING other elements from an alloy can and is very difficult depending on what they are. Just fluxing it will do nothing to remove most....only garbage.

Either use it, or find out what exactly is in it with an x-ray gun at a local scrap yard. or trade it for pure.

bangerjim

mfraser264
03-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Hello,

Once other metals are added with the pure lead you have a an alloy. Most metals go into solution with lead and when this happens, there is no easy means that the average bullet caster is going to perform to extract/remove the non lead metals. Most lead alloys are binary which for example lead and tin. Tin will not separate out and float to the top of the top because it is in solution with the lead. The dull skin on top of the pot is the lead and tin oxidizing. Tin becomes less stable when in the liquid state and more easily attacked by oxygen and when extra oxygen molecules attach to the tin, you see the dull film floating around. You could add more pure lead and dilute as a simple possibility. This is one of the reasons why I have stamped the alloy name on my ingots as I make up each batch of metal.

btroj
03-08-2015, 10:05 AM
How do you know it isn't pure? Just because the slugs don't weigh at the spec'd weight means little. Many of the bullet moulds we use do the same thing. Small variations in cavities leads to weight differences.

This is is a solution in search of a problem.

qkdraw44
03-08-2015, 07:11 PM
thanx all, I was just looking to get the softest slug for most expansion on impact. I still have not shot a deer with a slug. too busy bowhunting on the range I have found no difference I accuracy using soft lead or ww plus a little tin

jsizemore
03-08-2015, 11:42 PM
I'm thinking the diameter of the slugs is .680-.690. It should punch a big enough hole to give you a blood trial or transfer energy to get your critter. It should be strong enough to crash large bones to anchor them too. Good luck with your hunt.

dilly
03-09-2015, 12:19 AM
I'm pretty sure when you hit a deer with a slug it will do the trick even if the alloy is a little hard. All you need to do is the proper load work up to make sure you are able to hit the critter.

RogerDat
03-09-2015, 10:35 AM
x-ray wall lead was pretty pure, has regulations that it had to meet. Would expect doors to be same. Not sure about door frames. Could see them allowing harder alloy for structural use.

Geezer in NH
03-09-2015, 08:45 PM
With that slug you do not need expansion. It will be in and out. Any high power jacketed strives for the expansion the slug stats at. Shoot a few deer and come back if you have any questions.

MBTcustom
03-10-2015, 03:34 PM
^^^^^^^ best answer^^^^^^^^