PDA

View Full Version : Browning Gold Hunter 3.5"

Lefty Red
03-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Yeah I know it's a shotgun, but don't know where to put this!

It's a newer shotgun, no more than two years old. I always heard they were soft shooters. Found one at s good price and was thinking about it for my sore shoulders and pheasant hunting.

So good or bad? There is a nice Winchester SX3 there as well.

Jerry

buckwheatpaul
03-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Got one that is well used.....great gun and not finiky.....soft on the kick even with 3-1/2 loads....good luck....Paul

ole 5 hole group
03-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Got one that is well used.....great gun and not finiky.....soft on the kick even with 3-1/2 loads....good luck....Paul

Soft on the kick you say???? Is that like the 500 Linebaugh Max with 525 grain bullet at 1,600fps isn't all that bad???

1-7/8 ounce loads of #4 in a 3" magnum shooting out of a canoe with overhead millards will pound on ya a little - can't imagine what the heavy 3.5" mag does.

Lefty Red
03-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks Paul!
I won't be shooing 3.5" or even 3" out of it. Just some heavy 2.75" for pheasant and squirrels high in then oaks down in the bottoms. :)

I am heading over it get it then. It shouldered well and felt good. I have really only shot older Remington 1100s. Well did have a nice Beretta 390 that shot Sporting Clays with a few years ago, but it was too pretty to hunt with. :)

Ok a side note, I can't believe the price of shotguns!!!!
A few Gold Hunters and Super X's in the pride range I was willing to spend. Not a used Benelli or Beretta to be found UNDER $1000! Wow!

Lefty Red
03-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Soft on the kick you say???? Is that like the 500 Linebaugh Max with 525 grain bullet at 1,600fps isn't all that bad???

1-7/8 ounce loads of #4 in a 3" magnum shooting out of a canoe with overhead millards will pound on ya a little - can't imagine what the heavy 3.5" mag does.

No 3.5" for me! Always thought they were a marketing ploy. But it is what sells.
Hell, doubt I will use a 3" in it. Just don't need it cause not shooting geese or turkey.

Dhammer
03-07-2015, 08:00 PM
If its not a ten guage. Then it isn't newer. Silver has been 12 gauge line for a while.. 10 gauge, kick like all get up.

Lefty Red
03-07-2015, 09:38 PM
It might not be the newest, but it doesn't have a mark on it and the inside doesn't look like its been shot outside of the factory. Co worker needed money for a "newer" semiauto 12 gauge in a "newer" camo pattern.
His words were,"you can date a gun by its camo pattern." WTH???? So glad I don't feel the need to keep up with the fashion world of shotguns. :)
Jerry

Lefty Red
03-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Due to my RA in my shoulders, I can't take heavy recoil in either of them. I grew up with pumps and single shots. I miss them, but can't shoot them due to the pain. I am getting back into slug hunting and need a gun to soak up recoil. Just because its a 3.5" doesn't mean I have to shoot 3.5" shells in it. Hell, I only used 3" for turkey twice. I normally just use a 2.75" loaded to the job at hand. But the reviews showed the Brownings and Super X's, along with the Berettas being the most recoiled dampering shofguns out there in my price range. I don't mind spending money on a good item, but I also think there is a diminishing of returns. I am not going to spend $1000 on a Beneilli when a cheaper but almost as good shotgun at $700 will do. And that still makes me halfway sick! Especially when I was able to pick up a Mossberg 12 gauge Better grade of wood with a fully rifled slug barrel and choked VR barrel for less that half of the Gold Hunter!
Jerry

Dhammer
03-07-2015, 09:55 PM
98 I believe was last year a Gold was made in 12 gauge after that it's only 10 guages. They do have some unique features many wished Browning had incoperated into the Silver's.

Dhammer
03-07-2015, 10:08 PM
One thing about the 3.5's is they may reduce less recoil in the shorter shells because of designs used for 3.5's. I did a lot of research when I gave up my O/U due to spine injury. Recoil and weight aren't my friend anymore. I love the Golden, but they were hard to find or all beat up when I looked a while back just to have one. (I didn't research it in terms of recoil just an FYI was before I got hurt and I new good ones were hard to find) you can get bran new 3.5 Silver dirt cheap 3/4 of the year (just not waterfowl season) so should be good price comparison. I went with a Browning new (A5) I got at a steal, as my semi auto. So I wouldn't rule out the newer Inertia's either. Some of the smaller shotgun makers in the Bertta/Benelli (drawing a blank on their name) have some pretty cool technology in terms of recoil reduction at reasonable prices compared to the two big names in their line up. Cabelas used gun finder is an awesome tool to get ideas/prices as well.

buckwheatpaul
03-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Been goose hunting, duck hunting, dove, quail, and pheasant hunting with that shotgun...easy to carry and I like it so well that I have one in 20 ga as well as 10 gauge....the 10 will thump ya good but it will really drop those honkers.....Paul

Lefty Red
03-08-2015, 12:06 AM
Dhammer, I think you are thinking of the Stoeger M3000 series and the Franichi. I am leary of a Franichi because the only one I ever shot was a lightweight recoil 20 gauge my uncle had. It beat the hell out of you! But I did fondle a nice 28 gauage Franichi while the deal was going through with my Gold. But I do see a couple more semi autos in my future.

Paul, I would love to get a 20 gauge for Jr! Will be looking hard the next few weeks. Along with working more overtime now! LOL

Jerry

Lefty Red
03-08-2015, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the info Dhammer. My new Gold and another one was like new. They are black polymer though. I did like a couple of the WW Super X's but just didn't feel like the Golds. They had that tacky camo finish. And the pattern "dates" them! LOL Still laugh at that phase!

I got up and was looking after missing my last hunting season. I miss hunting the preserves and shooting clays at the local range. Miss the dogs and the birds! Time to get back in the field.

Jerry

Dhammer
03-08-2015, 01:12 AM
Wasn't a Stoeger, I don't care for them. There was a few, just don't recall the names. Franchi was one though. Also looked at em for wife when she wanted something a little lighter n better fitting then Silver she was shooting for trap. The biggest issue is a lot of dealers don't carry em to feel. I know there were none in IL locally. We were still in IL at time. She broke the piggy bank on her choice. :( but first time I ever heard her say, I want this gun so wasn't going to say no.

The Gold is a great shotgun, I just can't comment on the recoil. Was a long time since last shot one. Always wanted one but when my pops gave me his O/U after I got out of military, I would have felt bad carrying anything else. It took an injury to make me give it up full time and finally buy something new.

MT Chambers
03-10-2015, 12:26 AM
I think that the SX3 and the Browning Maxus are a newer design made in Belgium, they would be my pick, I have both and the "guts" are the same, I have heard of problems with the "Gold" and parts breakage, metal parts that seal the gases.

Lefty Red
03-11-2015, 04:00 AM
I think that the SX3 and the Browning Maxus are a newer design made in Belgium, they would be my pick, I have both and the "guts" are the same, I have heard of problems with the "Gold" and parts breakage, metal parts that seal the gases.

Yes, the SX3 and Maxus are a newer and a better design than the Gold or Silver. But from what I found out about the Gold is that:
1) You must clean it before shooting it.
2) You must clean a gas operating semi auto when used
3) Better to use 1 1/8 ounce of shot in the shells. Cheap **** doesn't fly in 3.5" semi's.
4) Don't over oil it.
5) Plus I didn't have the extra $500 for the Maxus or SX3!

I put 100 rounds through it today. Wow! soft shooter! Shoulder feels fine. I shot slow, fast, doubles and no failures. 00 to field loads, no problems. Slug barrel should be here tomorrow. Scope this weekend. Will see what it does the first of next week.

Jerry