PDA

View Full Version : Cast in 7mm Rem

1Shirt
03-07-2015, 11:03 AM
In sorting thru a bunch of old(er) ammo, I found that I had at various times in the past loaded over 150 rounds of 7Rem Mag with cast. One box of 20 was over 15 years old. Quite honestly, I don't remember loading so much cast, as I can also remember some place way back that someone said that 7Rem mag would not shoot cast well. I sometimes hate those senior moments, but they do beat other alternatives. Anywho, went to the range yesterday, the first spring like day in Ne. in my opinion this year. Took the M700 w/1.5x5 Tasco scope (ya, I know that they won't hold up, been told that many times), and all of the loaded cast. The intent was to shoot it all up and load jacketed. Only fired 80 rounds, which seemed about right for the day. There were2 different boolits, 130 gr. Lee, and 287641 weighing just under 160. They were loaded over Trail Boss (21 gr), Unique (16 gr), 2400 (22.5 gr), and RX7 (36 gr). So plinker loads to deer loads. Shot them all at 50 yds in just a bit over 2 hours. I was suprised that they wouldn't shoot, because all of the loads shot at least 1 1/2 shot groups, and the 2400 and Unique loads shot at or under an inch for 5 shot groups. The Rx7 shot a 9shot group of 1.20", and estimate it was running right around 2200, and would make a decent deer load to maybe 200 or so. If I had fired 80 full power jacketed loads, I would probably still be cussing my lack of common sense this a.m. However, I didn't fire 80 rds of full power jacketed, shoulder isn't sore, I learned that these old loads shot well (and at least as good as I am capable of shooting). Also learned that who ever it was that told me, or I read (whatever) that the 7Mag wouldn't shoot cast was full of it. The Trail boss loads were the least accurate, but recoil was about like a heavy hornet, and would be more than adequate for 50 yd off hand practice. The 2400 and Unique loads are very accurate, little recoil, and could be competitive in CBA postal matches I think. So, I think, I will be loading and shooting more cast in 7Mag, and save maybe just 40-50 cases for jacketed.
1Shirt!:shock:

davidheart
03-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Very nice to know! I like the 7mm Rem Mag and may one day own one. Good to know it shoots cast alright. I'm sure with little tweaking maybe better?

Nobade
03-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Ya, I don't know how it got that reputation. I've always had good luck with cast in the 7mm rem mag. The kid used to shoot one in our reduced 200M silhouette matches when she was little. It was a joke at the range, littlest shooter using the biggest gun. 15gr. Green Dot and a 160gr. RCBS worked wonderfully.

-Nobade