PDA

View Full Version : $40 Budget Reloading Bench

Jlamont2020
03-07-2015, 04:12 AM
So, I finally committed to buyin' my reloading equipment and have a couple hundred bucks of equipment shipping to me. YAY! That being said I didn't want to spend too much on my bench, as I plan on getting out of an apartment, and into my first house house soon. So I built my bench to be cheap, strong, and to not take up too much space in my current place. I borrowed a couple of my dad's tools (I don't do much wood work if you couldn't tell by the crude bench) and come to find out, only 2 of his clamps open wide enough to take a 2x4 and 2 layers of 3/4" MDF. Probably should have checked that first. Oh well, I'll live with the slight gap between the MDF panels. (I only screwed down the bottom MDF panel, the top panel is secured with a liberal amount of liquid nails which is why it's covered with buckets of wheel weights right now)

The bench is 18" deep, 48" wide, by 29.5" tall. The bottom shelf was made tall enough to fit my feet under, but still low enough I could store a 5 gallon bucket of wheelweights. And actually the bottom shelf was not in my original plans, but I had enough scrap wood to almost make a complete shelf. (it was just gonna be horizontal bars to keep the legs from flexing)

My Lee Challenger kit should be here in a few days, and I was wonderin' if anyone had any tips on layout and setup. For mounting the press itself, it seems like lag bolts through the front holes and machine bolts and oversized washers in the rear would be my best option. I'm right handed so I figure put the press on the right, but beyond that I'm at a loss for what setup/layout would work well.

Mk42gunner
03-07-2015, 05:21 AM
Looks like a decent bench to me. Use it a while then you can fix anything you don't like about it when you build the next one. I am guessing by the height that you are planning to sit while loading?

Adding weight to the bottom shelf will help in stabilizing the bench while using it. There are few things more annoying than having to hang onto the bench to keep it from moving while operating a press.

Robert

gmsharps
03-07-2015, 05:23 AM
Looks like it will do the job. You will need places to put stuff. Get a sheet of peg board and put part of it on each side of your bench and the rest on the wall behind your bench.

gmsharps

catskinner
03-07-2015, 07:13 AM
I have my presses and lube sizers mounted on a piece of plate iron and use c-clamps to fasten them to the bench. Easy to switch tools and still have room on the bench.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-07-2015, 08:42 AM
One thing you want to think about when placing your press is to leave enough room on both sides of the press for containers of brass, bullets and cartridges as well as assorted tools, etc. A good light of some kind as well. Perhaps one that attaches to the press like those Inline Fabrications sells.

Oh, and a sheet of hardboard, holes drilled and screwed down over that mdf to prevent fluid spillage and swelling. Seal the mdf with some marine poly varnish or similar to keep water out. If you've made the depth of the bench the right size, you can take it right through the doors when you move.

You did a good job on the bench, looks good.

seagiant
03-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Hi,
Looks good, your going to want to continue and brace the two ends like you did the back!

If it can rack it will!

Jlamont2020
03-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I would have never thought to add pegboard to the sides, but that seems like a brilliant idea. And yes, I planned on sitting while reloading, and truth betold, I've got an old rolling computer chair I was gonna use. So, in order to leave room on both sides of the press, would mountin' the outer edge of the press 10" from the side of the bench be enough? I was thinkin' of mountin' the powder drop to the right of the press, but t'wards the back of the bench. I'm not sure what kinda storage I'll need, but I'm sure I'll figure that out fast. I picked up 2 24-drawer nut and bolt organizers on clearance that I'm going to use, but other than that I've got some small boxes and bins, I can use 'til I find what feels right.

@seagiant, I don't quite follow what you mean by bracing the sides like I have the back. Are you talking about the frame of the bench, or the clamps on the benchtop?

Vinne
03-07-2015, 12:38 PM
That bench will handle anything you do on it. If you have that kind of construction for you new home, it will be indestructible!!

John Boy
03-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Harbor Freight - 140 bucks ... http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html

HeavyMetal
03-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Back when I was using a single stage press a lot I batch loaded, clean brass then size and deprime, expand and prime then powder charge using a loading block, this will allow you to eyeball all your charged case's to be sure you have equal amounts of powder in each case, then seat and crimp if needed pending caliber.

So on your bench I'd set the press a touch off center, to the right, and make a small removable mount for your powder measure, this will give you room to powder charge and inspect plus space to fiddle with other items as needed.

I to would add a brace from the top of the back leg to the bottom of the front leg on each side.

I've found weight helps keep the bench in place but heavy use can cause the top to "flex" or rock when using the press.

jonas302
03-07-2015, 03:32 PM

Your bench looks like it will do a great job I love having these bins next to my press I use them for everything they stack too I have another rail on the wall with all my dies sets in bins it really helped unclutter from all the random containers Menards puts them out free after rebate quite often if you have one nearby

Wayne Smith
03-07-2015, 06:15 PM
I used brass inserts (1/2"x3/8") - a half inch hole in the bottom, a 3/8" hole through the top, screw in the insert, and screw down the bolt with your press in place. A long thin drill will provide location, down through the top. Use this as your center for the 1/2" hole and for the 3/8" hole. Lowes carries the brass threaded inserts. This makes it easier to take things off the bench and replace them (moving). They make them in smaller sizes that I use for powder measures. You will need room for lube when you resize - plan for that.

Jlamont2020
03-07-2015, 07:55 PM
So, on sealing the top, I was gonna go with a oil-based acrylic enamel, probably black or dark slate grey. Should I do gloss or matte?

Rory McCanuck
03-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Go white. It will really help with cleaning up that powder you dribbled or locating that spring that sprung.
Semi gloss? As bright as possible without reflected light shining in your eyes.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-08-2015, 05:51 AM
So, on sealing the top, I was gonna go with a oil-based acrylic enamel, probably black or dark slate grey. Should I do gloss or matte? Before I sealed it, I would put down a sheet of hard board (inexpensive and replaceable) so that as time goes on, you can refresh the top of your bench if needed. Then use a paint or other type of sealer like marine varnish that will resist water and chemicals.

dikman
03-08-2015, 06:52 AM
Nothing wrong with that bench as a starting point, looks good. It will let you find out what works, what doesn't work and what will work with a bit of tweaking. I'd mount the press a bit off-centre, as this will give you a bit more room on one side to "do" things.

I mounted my presses to 6-7" x 1/2" thick square steel plates. I have two mounting holes drilled in the back half of the plate and drilled two holes through the bench to line up with them. The underside of my bench is 4" angle iron, so I tapped 3/8" holes in it and I only have to screw two bolts through the plate to hold the press to the bench. My press DOES NOT move!!!

I also use a height-adjustable computer chair (makes loading so much more civilized :)).

seagiant
03-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Hi,
As you face the bench,you have braced the back (rear) with a solid board.

Now do the same on the left and right (sides) THEN it will be solid!!!

Lefty Red
03-08-2015, 10:56 AM
I went the B&D bench route. Added a 3/4" plywood too from the scrap bin at Lowe's. Also a scrap 2x6 runs along the back wall for a secure mount.
Added an above shelf last year.
Hope to get a house before next year!
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/08/20135d376d5771dba32294cfcf84b8af.jpg

mac60
03-08-2015, 11:34 AM
I have my presses and lube sizers mounted on a piece of plate iron and use c-clamps to fasten them to the bench. Easy to switch tools and still have room on the bench.

Me too. Been doing it that way since I started reloading.

seagiant
03-08-2015, 12:02 PM
Me too. Been doing it that way since I started reloading.

Hi,
Hopefully you guys can upgrade to something like Jlamont built soon!

It does make for a better overall experience! Like other things in life,dosn't have to be big,just solid!!!

Hardcast416taylor
03-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Over the years of my growing dive into reloading, casting/sizing and other aspects of the hobby I have built 3 benches. I would use a bench for several months or even years before scraping it out and build another bench with changes I wanted. I built my final beauty 10 years back. It is 8` long by 30" deep by 32" high. The lower shelf is 14" off the floor and is made of 3/4" plywood (not abs particle board) and reinforced with 2x4`s. I built 6 levels of shelves over the back of the bench for storing about everything. The legs of the bench are 4x4 posts for strength. I used 3/8`s carriage head bolts along with construction grade screws for about all points I wanted strength. The top is 1 piece of 1/2" plywood over top of 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood with light colored canvas drawn taut and gorilla glued down and brass tacked in place. This bench took about a month to make and will stay in the house if it is sold in my lifetime due to the fact I built it into a wall for being rigid. I have used about anything available for a loading bench over the years. This bench is made by me to fit my needs and no ones elses. I only wish that I was more computer savvy and could post photos of this lumber project.Robert

Jlamont2020
03-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Great info guys, thanks. Gotta head to Lowe's to check what scrap I can use. Unfortunately, I missed out on the free after MIR bins Menards did (looking through old circulars they had one 2 weeks ago) but now that I know, I'm going to keep a watchful eye out. The small bins are only $0.61 each so I'm gonna pickup a few now and get more when they're free after the rebate.
Found Valspar tractor paint on sale yesterday at the local fleet & farm, so painted the top with that last night. Looks very nice though after ~14 hours, it's still tacky. This stuff is supposed to be pretty tough. 36 degrees outside and I have a window cracked open as it stinks to high heaven. Slightly disappointed as the brush strokes didn't completely fall out. I had intended to lightly sand it and give it a second coat, but the brush strokes may help to prevent rolling of any small parts. It has a slightly ridged texture as the final brush strokes were continuous from left to right. Couldn't bring myself to paint it white, so it's a nice semi-gloss black.

Preacher Jim
03-09-2015, 01:25 PM
while you are there check out the led flouresent style lights the four footers will give you great light for a reloading bench. i am going all led in my shop. they give great light and cheap to opperate

RogerDat
03-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Peg board on the back really works better if mounted to the wall on 2x4's rather than to the bench. Sooner or later you will be doing something that shakes the bench a bit and stuff will fall off because shaking the bench shakes the peg board. On the sides is not as much of a problem since that stuff can only fall on the floor and seems to stay on better, maybe it is because most shaking is front to back and that just naturally bounces stuff off of a back mounted peg board.

I used a couple of pieces of 1/2 wood to make a 1" wood plate for mounting the press. Press is bolted to wood with counter sunk bolts coming from below. Wood plate can be C clamped or bolted to the work table. Allows removing press or swapping press for another. Cheaper version of the metal plate some have mentioned.

Big +1 on use it and find out what you really need and what works for you. Then adjust, modify, or build another based on what works or what doesn't. Keeping this one if you build a new and improved model goes without saying. ;-)

Beau Cassidy
03-09-2015, 09:00 PM
I went the B&D bench route. Added a 3/4" plywood too from the scrap bin at Lowe's. Also a scrap 2x6 runs along the back wall for a secure mount.
Added an above shelf last year.
Hope to get a house before next year!
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/08/20135d376d5771dba32294cfcf84b8af.jpg

One pound of powder on the bench at a time. One. Personal rule. Too much room for error otherwise.

Lefty Red
03-09-2015, 09:01 PM
One is empty, the 700x. But I am a big boy and can keep things straight. Please police elsewhere. Thank you.

Jlamont2020
03-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Well decided to try everything first. Mounted the press on a piece of 1x8 and C-clamped it down. Press is about 10" offset from the middle. Also mounted my powder measure on a 1x8 and put a half a pig of lead on it, so it's not movin' on it's own. The tractor paint looks good. Makes the bench look like one of the tables from college chem. Haven't added cross beams to the side yet, trying to figure out how I want to do that in conjunction with peg board on the sides. Thinkin' of usin' 2x2s for the cross beams since I already have a few. Still waitin' on my local gun shop to let me know my primers are in, so I got a bit of time to get to know my setup, and watch some more videos.
Time to get decapping!

gloob
03-10-2015, 05:37 PM
I have always put my press on the right side of my bench, leaving about 6" of bench surface to the right. I just want enough space to set a bin, a loading block, or a tray of primers.

I'm not sure why you would want to use lag bolts in the front. I would use machine bolts and nuts for all three holes. Oh, nevermind. I guess you have to screw into the frame.

Over the years of my growing dive into reloading, casting/sizing and other aspects of the hobby I have built 3 benches. I would use a bench for several months or even years before scraping it out and build another bench with changes I wanted. I built my final beauty 10 years back.
I have built a few benches, too. But mine are evolving the other way. I have been curious to see how flimsy and light I can build a reloading bench. I'm currently using a small bench made entirely from 1/2 sheet of plywood. No 4x4's, no 2x4's, even. The legs are strips of 3/4" ply. It's pretty darn solid.

I have an idea to make my next bench even more rigid without adding much weight/cost. It will have 5 legs. The press will be mounted just to the left of the front right leg, and the 5th leg will be just to the left of the press.