PDA

View Full Version : Need A Little Help On A Project

azshtr
03-06-2015, 11:39 PM
Anyone out there have a small machine shop and would be able to help me out on the following. As I am on a project.

I am in need of a couple dozen pieces of 3/8 rod, 3 inches long. One end needs to have a depression which would allow a 7/16" steel ball fit about 1/3rd the way into the depression.

Willing to pay for the rod, your time and shipping.

Please PM me if you would be interested in helping an old guy.

Thanks

PS: If there is a better forum to place this in please let me know

myg30
03-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Will a Cup point set screw work ? Or is 1/3 recess a neccessity ?

Mike

fg-machine
03-13-2015, 04:54 PM
if you have a decent drill press this is easy enough to do on your own without spending a lot of money .

assuming you have drill bits already all you need to buy is a ball end mill in the size you need

simply cut the rod to lenght , center punch it where you want the indent , then take a drill bit that is slightly smaller then the indent and dill about half as deep as you need . then finish the indent with the ball end mill .

as long as you do not need things to be super precise there no reason you couldnt whip out a dozen or so in an hour of your time

kywoodwrkr
03-21-2015, 11:50 PM
I am in need of a couple dozen pieces of 3/8 rod, 3 inches long. One end needs to have a depression which would allow a 7/16" steel ball fit about 1/3rd the way into the depression.

Took me a while to develop a mental picture so lets see how close it is.
You want to take a 3/8” rod and mill a 7/16” spherical depression(pocket) in the end of it.
You want to mill this spherical pocket deep enough to support 1/3 of a 7/16” sphere.
Is this even close to what you need?
The process of fg-machine is basically just that milling process.
Does it have to be precise enough for any particular "welding" process?
By "welding" I mean soldering and liquid adhesives as well.

azshtr
04-01-2015, 10:44 PM
myg30, fg-machine and kywoodwrkr

Gentlemen, my apology. I completely forgot that I posted on this forum.

Another member fixed me up with what I needed.

Thanks to all for your posts.