PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable accuracy

jednorris
03-06-2015, 09:41 PM
I am new to "Buffalo" shoots and the club I started shooting at shoots steel only at a maximum distance of 200 yds. Although I sometimes miss, my gun and load is capable of consistantly hitting the target. So long as I can hit what I am aiming at, and misses are the result of the "loose nut behind the trigger", I see no reason to work on improving my load. How do you set the standard at which you feel comfortable?.

mdi
03-07-2015, 02:08 PM
90% of my guns shoot better than I can. I don't know how to set a "standard" for my guns/loads but I am a constant "fiddler" and rarely settle on just one load. What I do is find a load that preforms well over a period of time, several outings, and record it as a "keeper". I then experiment with that load or "tweek" it a bit (seating depth, primers, etc.). I like reloading and shooting so if I search for a "perfect" load over a period of several months, cool!, it keeps me reloading and shooting (I have 5, .44 Magnums and I've been searching for the ultimate load for each gun for mebbe 20 years!)...

jonas302
03-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Like mdi I enjoy the constant tweaking of the load and trying different things accuracy to me is acceptable at around and inch at 100 yards little more with a lever gun basically when I get to the point that I am confident in the load every time I grab the rifle I am happy

dtknowles
03-07-2015, 03:17 PM
If I am shooting at a target 3 MOA in diameter with a load that shoots 2 MOA and I contribute 2 MOA of shooter error, I am going to have a bunch of misses. If the load could shoot 1 MOA and I only contribute 2 MOA of shooter error then I am not going to have many misses at all. Looking at it a bit differently, if the load shoots 2 MOA and I am missing the target by half an inch, I would have hit the target with a load that shoots 1 MOA.

Tim

Clark
03-14-2015, 02:03 AM
I have a higher standard for a new bull barrelled rifle vs an old antique with a non invasive mount for a pistol scope scout style. I a happy with a few 0.5 moa groups with the former and happy with 2.5 moa with the latter.

EDG
03-14-2015, 06:12 PM
If you ever decide to improve your performance you will not have any objective data - meaning quantified performance.
You will have no numbers that define your performance.

You cannot improve a process unless your measure it.

Bazoo
03-15-2015, 12:06 AM
Not every load has to be tailored to the gun. I generally have a plinking, factory equivalent load that I use in all guns chambered for the round. Then, in guns for which I desire more, I may work up loads with various bullets and powder weights and types.

Aint no reason to tweak a load if you're shootin coke cans at spittin distance like me and the wife do most of the time. My standard load for my 45 automatic will hit a 6" plate at 50 yards, and it was my first 45 loading for that caliber.