PDA

View Full Version : 45-70's.. beveled vs. flat based

moredes
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
NEI offers two identical molds in 458" 405gr FN. One has a beveled base and the other is flat. Why choose one over the other?

Thank you.

montana_charlie
03-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I can't answer your question for sure, but...
You frequently see similarities like that in the NEI moulds.

I have this feeling that they are the result of some guy requesting a custom design...perhaps just a slight modification of an existing one. Since the cherry is still available, NEI puts the design in their catalog.

That's my guess, with no way to prove it's right...

If you are looking at a mould for 45/70, almost everybody will tell you to take the flat base.
CM

WHITETAIL
03-05-2008, 08:44 PM
I vote for a flat base.

dragonrider
03-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Absolutely flat base,

beagle
03-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Go flat. I've never seen a BB that would outshoot a flat base./beage

yarro
03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Bevel Base bullets go into a case mouth easier due to the bevel on the bottom, but the drawback is that they tend flame cut worse than a flat base and accuracy suffers a little. The base is less likely to be damaged if you are dropping them into a bulk container as there is not sharp edge. The do not tend to slug up as the taper directs the gases past the bullet if there is room. The flame cutting is worse when black powder is involved, which can result leading and poot performance. Flat base take more effort to align on top of the case mouth. They tend to be more accurate and if soft enough they will slug up when a heavy enough load is used. Flat base or hollow base in my opinion is the only way to go if you are loading black powder cartridge. Flat base are also as my choice for precision. I use bevel base when I am loading large numbers of smokeless plinking rounds.

-Yarro

Lloyd Smale
03-06-2008, 04:36 AM
dont overlook the 405 bevel base bullet out of the magma mold. Its a real shooter in a few 4570s ive tried it in.

Yance
03-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Bevel bases were designed to simplify bullet alignment for higher volume reloaders and "may" have their place in short range pistol/revolver loads.

Nice flat bases and Lyman "M" expander dies are the way to go for your rifle ammo.

My 2¢

xtimberman
03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Bullets with bevel bases tend to drop from moulds easier than FBs of a similar design, but they don't seem to offer much else over a FB.

The Magma BB designs seem to have been foisted off on us. I wish I had a dollar for each time I've heard the comment, "I like that Magma bullet, but I wish It had a flat base." :-?

xtm

MtGun44
03-07-2008, 12:52 AM
If you size and lube with a Lyman or RCBS lubesizer, you will very quickly
learn to hate the BB. The lube fills in the corner and you have to wipe
it off of each bullet. A Star will not do this if set up properly, but are
expensive if you don't do a lot of casting, or if you use a lot of different
sizer dies as the dies are about double what the Lyman/RCBS are.

I think the BBs are less accurate but can't prove it. I have used both,
prefer flat,esp when running thru the Lyman or RCBS.

Bill