PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 load development

Huntsman52
03-06-2015, 08:56 PM
I am developing a load for my sharps 45-70. Here are 4 targets shot at 100 yards. I plan to shoot farther later but it was all I had at the time. My load is Ole Ensford 2f, .060 veg fiber wad, large pistol primer with a creedmore nose Boomer mold at 518 grains, sized to .459. 20-1 alloy. Loads where compress to chamber round. I am trying to figure out which one would be a good starting point as in my eyes they all look close to the same. The only one that really stood out was 60 grains as 3 shots touched. Sights where not adjusted during the shooting session. What pointers should I be looking for to choose which load to develop further? I did not show the 62.5 grain loads as it was all over the place. Will need to re-shoot that one. Any input would be appreciated.

johnson1942
03-06-2015, 09:43 PM
see your pm/s

Don McDowell
03-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Looks to me like your best targets are the 67.5 and 70 gr loads. I'ld go back and do 10 each of 68,69, and 70.

rfd
03-07-2015, 07:13 AM
i'd back up to at least 200 yards and redo yer tests.

Toymaker
03-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Did you load by volume or weight? I load by weight. Did you use a compression die or compress with the bullet? I use a die. Was the OAL consistent? I load at least a week before a match and double check the OAL to see if the powder "uncompressed" a bit. Did the bullet just engage the rifling, or was it backed off? I just engage the rifling. Did you crimp? I hand seat in a fire formed case. I use Goex FFg and found the rifle primer gave better and more consistent results. Just some thoughts. It looks like its going to be a really good shooter. Have fun!!!!

rfd
03-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Did you load by volume or weight? I load by weight. Did you use a compression die or compress with the bullet? I use a die. Was the OAL consistent? I load at least a week before a match and double check the OAL to see if the powder "uncompressed" a bit. Did the bullet just engage the rifling, or was it backed off? I just engage the rifling. Did you crimp? I hand seat in a fire formed case. I use Goex FFg and found the rifle primer gave better and more consistent results. Just some thoughts. It looks like its going to be a really good shooter. Have fun!!!!

yup, there's more to bpcr loading than smokeless. :)

Don McDowell
03-07-2015, 05:09 PM
yup, there's more to bpcr loading than smokeless. :)

How so?

rfd
03-07-2015, 06:07 PM
really, you have to ask? ;)

Don McDowell
03-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Figured you'ld say something like that...

Huntsman52
03-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the input. Loaded by volume, hand seated bullet in fire formed case. Use compression die to compress powder. Bullet seated to just engage the rifling. Ever so slight crimp to remove the bell but if I pulled with moderate tension I could pull out the bullet.

rfd
03-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Figured you'ld say something like that...

serves ya right fer asking, then. pm me next time.

Don McDowell
03-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the input. Loaded by volume, hand seated bullet in fire formed case. Use compression die to compress powder. Bullet seated to just engage the rifling. Ever so slight crimp to remove the bell but if I pulled with moderate tension I could pull out the bullet.
Somewhere between 68 and 70 grs depending on the bullet and the rifles choice has been working real well with the Eynsford 2f. Might want to try the bullet just off of the lands.