PDA

View Full Version : Ruger made peace with me

doc1876
03-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Well, I am really not a fan of Rugers. Mainly it is because I can't get them back together after I take them apart to clean them. So here goes.
I got a Lipsey's .44 sp which shoots like a dream. I had some issues with its function, so I got tired of it, and contacted Ruger. They sent out a call tag, it was shipped Fedex back to them, and they were given some simple instructions. "The cylinder won't release to allow it to be loaded, and while you are at it, can you fix that real long trigger creep?"
Got it back today, (1 week turn around) functions flawlessly, and they even installed new grips on it, as I did not send any with it because I was too lazy to go find the originals after I hung a set of custom ones on it and did not want to send them with it.
I posted this because I hear of others having issues with the repair work. I guess just try and not give up on getting the work done.
Really irritates me when there is someone I want to not like, and they do something good!!

jmort
03-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Had a very similar experience many years ago with an Old Model Vaquero .45 Colt.
But I love Ruger.

Guesser
03-06-2015, 06:17 PM
I've done warranty with Ruger twice. 1979, NMBH 357 stainless, took 9 months and intervention by the Secretary of State of the state I was residing in to get it cleared up. Remember, that was before email and instant comms and I lived in Hawaii then. Last time was last October, new Single 7, out and back in a week.

DougGuy
03-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Their customer service is the BEST in the industry. I will tell you that to be a fact.

I sent them a convertible once back in the 1990s with .456" throats, wouldn't hit a fat hog in the hind end, asked them for 2 new cylinders throated to .4515" DANG if they didn't do EXACTLY as I asked them to, on their dime!

Bought a Vaquero when they first came out, shot low and left, asked them to rebarrel it, took it on opening day and missed a really nice 8pt facing me @ 20yds, shot the gun on target, way left and low still. I was pissed. Threw it in a box in pieces and forgot about it for 17yrs.

One day I thought about it in that box all those years, called and got an RMA, shipping label, sent them a nice long letter explaining how unhappy I was at missing the buck and how it laid in a box in pieces unloved and unfired for 17yrs, and would they please make it shoot to point of aim, and could they put a SBH hammer on it, offered to pay for that, and could they put a birdshead grip frame on it, offered to pay for that too.

Weren't long after that I called, the tech says they got it grouping, and that it was just about to come back from the polishing and finishing after installing a Bisley grip frame. I went "HUH? If I would have WANTED a Bisley, I would have BOUGHT a Bisley!" Oh they played it to the hilt too, he says "I don't know who you know here, but we don't do this for ANYBODY! You got LUCKY!" And he ranted on and on about how he really likes his Bisleys for shooting heavy boolits, etc..

Week later, girl calls and says they are shipping it, I need to be home to sign for it. I says no problem, are you looking at it right there? She says "yes." I asked if it had a Bisley grip frame, and she says "yes." A Bisley hammer? "Yes" A Bisley trigger too? "Yes" Well I guess I own a Bisley now whether I wanted one or not! She says "Looks that way!" :kidding:

I get the box the next day, and THIS is what was in it, (shooting DIRECTLY to the sights with 340gr boolits no doubt!) all on Bill's dime: :bigsmyl2:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/5e0762fd-6f6c-4d07-a650-886152bbef6b_zpsccb83112.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/5e0762fd-6f6c-4d07-a650-886152bbef6b_zpsccb83112.jpg.html)

RedHawk357Mag
03-06-2015, 07:48 PM
Such an awesome thread... Yep I kinda love me some Ruger.

hpdrifter
03-06-2015, 08:43 PM
That sure is a nice Bisley!

Bzcraig
03-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Ok, now I need to find a problem with the GP100 6" I recently bought!

jmort
03-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a good idea, as Ruger is known to really go the extra mile when guns are returned for service.

contender1
03-06-2015, 10:48 PM
To the OP; It's not as uncommon as you'd think to have them step up & take care of an issue. I'm glad you are happy! However, I take Rugers apart all the time, Old Models, New Models, 22 semi-auto's etc. While there is an occasion I have to back up & start over at a certain point, putting them back together hasn't been an issue. I have to wonder what problems you seem to have?????

stormingnorm
03-06-2015, 11:58 PM
I have a security six that comes apart so sweet. I wish all my pistols and my model 19 smith came apart like that. I also have a ml 1 22 pistol and a mk2 45 22 that you must pay attention to when you are putting them back together. Follow the instructions to the letter no short cuts. My 10 22 also comes apart fairly easy too.

454PB
03-07-2015, 12:19 AM
I own a bunch of Ruger firearms, both handguns and rifles, and I have for the last 43 years. Strange as it sounds, the only one that required repair was the very first one......a SBH .44 magnum that had one chamber drilled off center. I didn't even have to send it back, I took it back to the dealer that sold it to me and he swapped it for another new one.

Over the years I've owned probably 25 Rugers, and none of them has ever had a problem.

bedbugbilly
03-07-2015, 12:43 AM
Unfortunately, what your often read about in regards to service from any company, including Ruger, are the "problems" people have. Yes, a product can be "lacking" but oftentimes, it is also due to something that they have done. (Not in your case). I own a number of Rugers and maybe I've been "lucky" but they have all been excellent handguns - never had to send on back. I have had friends who have had to send their's back and they have always been pleased with their customer service. Nothing is "perfect" but Ruger does have an excellent reputation for the service they provide. It's nice to hear another's "success" story with their service. Glad it all worked out for you and kudos to Ruger!

rintinglen
03-07-2015, 02:24 AM
I went 39 years using Rugers without needing their Customer Service, Of the 6 I have bought since 2012, 3 have gone back. Their service is great--which is good, because you need it so often.

Blood Trail
03-07-2015, 02:54 AM
Ruger has outstanding customer service. After about 12 years of shooting my Red Label, I developed a crack in my fore end. I contacted Ruger and they said they would replace it both forend and stock so they will match. I asked them if I could get the old stock back seeing how my Marines have the stock engraved and two of those Marines have since passed.
8 days later, I had a new fore end and stock on my Red Label.

Last summer, I sent in my Redhawk. The upgraded the barrel to the Red Hawk Hunter barrel, polished and tuned the trigger. I didn't pay a dime and I got it back in a week.

I'm a customer for life.

white eagle
03-07-2015, 09:46 PM
I would have been surprised if Ruger did not do rite by you
if I ever had a problem with their product they were always 1st class in handling the issue
good for you

doc1876
03-08-2015, 12:52 AM
The coil springs are just a pain for me, The one under the trigger guard is the worst. It either gets kinked, doesn't seat on the cylinder stop, or it trys to fall out or take off.
The one for the gate often falls out of place while everything else goes into place, and then you have to start all over again.

44man
03-08-2015, 10:12 AM
The coil springs are just a pain for me, The one under the trigger guard is the worst. It either gets kinked, doesn't seat on the cylinder stop, or it trys to fall out or take off.
The one for the gate often falls out of place while everything else goes into place, and then you have to start all over again.
Yeah, need to pay attention. Got one together and the cylinder stop did not work, found the spring and pawl on the rug. Stuff grease on it to hold it in.
Now the gate spring is easy, I put the guns together without hooking it under the gate because it is easier to get the trigger pin in. Then a small tool to push the end under the gate.
The factory hammer springs take a set so I replace them with a Wolfe Over power variable 26# spring right out of the box.
Other then trigger work, there is never any reason to take a Ruger SA apart, just oil the pins through openings, reach in with a good lube like Brownell's Action Lube to put on the sear surfaces.
Keep the cylinder pin and hole clean and lubed with STP, use a little on the ratchet.

44man
03-08-2015, 10:19 AM
I forgot, put a dab of STP on the spot the gate spring rides on too and on the shaft of the gate. Best stinking gun lube ever.
Back in the first days of stainless, Ruger found galling so they engineered different alloys of stainless for each part to stop it. Someone came out with a stainless lube and I have some but it is not as good as STP.

Hardcast416taylor
03-08-2015, 12:41 PM
I sent in an "old model" .22 single six convertable to have the then new transfer bar system installed for free. What I got back was my pistol but they had trashed the smooth trigger pull and the pull now was a "lawyer proof pull" trigger. I re-installed the original parts they returned, but it is still not a good pistol to shoot.Robert

osteodoc08
03-08-2015, 11:05 PM
I sent in a ratty 3 screw and they reblued, refinished the aluminum and put on new stocks. Looked great. Haven't touched the conversion parts. Shoots fine.

doc1876
03-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Yeah, need to pay attention. Got one together and the cylinder stop did not work, found the spring and pawl on the rug. Stuff grease on it to hold it in.
Now the gate spring is easy, I put the guns together without hooking it under the gate because it is easier to get the trigger pin in. Then a small tool to push the end under the gate.
The factory hammer springs take a set so I replace them with a Wolfe Over power variable 26# spring right out of the box.
Other then trigger work, there is never any reason to take a Ruger SA apart, just oil the pins through openings, reach in with a good lube like Brownell's Action Lube to put on the sear surfaces.
Keep the cylinder pin and hole clean and lubed with STP, use a little on the ratchet.

I gave up on the Stainless one over a year ago, I usually just take Brake cleaner, spray the whole thing down, brush and patch the cylinder and barrels, and then hot water and Dawn, and then oil the insides with Rem oil. On the new one, I had to do a trigger job, and color that obnoxious shiney hammer. I don't know when I will take it apart again, but being blue, I am afraid it will be sooner than later.

jonp
03-09-2015, 07:25 PM
I guess I've been lucky. I've owned Rugers for a number of years. BH's and SBH's in several barrel lengths of 357,41,44 and 45. A couple of Single Six's, SP101, GP100..Never had a problem with any of them. Carried a SP101 for several years before I found out how undergunned I was and needed a 16+1 Super Glock-o-matic. Funny, I always felt ok.

I still have several makes and models of handguns including auto's of all types. The gun on my nightstand is a Blackhawk 45LC with cast handloads.

contender1
03-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Hardcast416, you have discovered WHY most of us who do own the OM Ruger SA's do not send one back for the safety transfer bar conversion. The action SUX compared to the original smooth action.
To me, the "Load one, skip one, load four" is much easier than having a gun's action feel like **** when I use it.