PDA

View Full Version : Collectable Ammo???

RBak
03-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I just read where Wichester is releasing some more John Wayne ammo.
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/asp/prod.asp?productid=46198&title=Winchester+Ammo+John+Wayne+30-30Win+150gr+PwPt/20

Sometime in the late 1970's I had several boxes of 30-30 with the John Wayne headstamp. .......at the time, I think it was like $10 or $12 a box, I can't remember for sure.
Anyway, it was the the only nickle plated brass I had seen up to that point so I bought several boxes.

Sometime around 2002 / 2003 I was at the range with five boxes that I was going to shoot, just to get the brass. Well one of the shooters came over, saw what I was shooting, and paid me $200 for four full boxes. (I threw in the extra box I had been shooting out of.)
That was the only time I have ever tried to talk "the other guy" out of a deal that would make a few bucks for myself. He was very adamant, and actually shoved the money my way. In fact, he was tickled pink.

I have often wondered what he knew that I didn't? :-?

Now, I have to wonder if this is the same stuff I sold him?

Russ...

IcerUSA
03-05-2008, 01:06 PM
The old stuff would be collectable , this new stuff is a sales gimick I would think .

Keith

yeahbub
03-05-2008, 02:55 PM
"The old stuff would be collectable , this new stuff is a sales gimick I would think ."

. . . . . Until it, too, becomes collectable in, oh, say 35 years or so. . . . That would be, yeah, 'bout half a lifetime almost, wouldn't it. Nevermind. Scared myself. Thought I had a money making idea there. . . .:roll:

floodgate
03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Wanta make a fortune (for your grand-kids maybe)? Every time you buy a gun, a box of ammo, a pack of primers, a can of powder, a loading tool, etc., etc., buy a second one and put it away un-opened and with documentation. Then if there is an eBay in some future time, someone will come out at least even with inflation.

Fg

HORNET
03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that the John Wayne ammo my dad has is nickle-plated .32-40. We saw some at a gun show recently for $50/ bx of 20. Dad decided to hang onto the ones he has.

AZ-Stew
03-06-2008, 02:02 AM
I saw a John Wayne collectable safe the other night in Bass Pro Shops here in Mesa, AZ. The little thing was about 24" wide, 20" deep and 60" tall. It was painted white, with a likeness of the Duke on the door. They wanted $2500 for it, ON SALE! I laughed and walked away. It was nice to look at, but it wasn't something I aspire to own. Surely, though, some schmuck will buy it.

Regards,

Stew

HEAD0001
03-06-2008, 04:13 AM
I remember the first run of the stuff. I bought 250 boxes from the True Value distributor for $3.00 a box. We ordered every box they had left. I think it was about 1500 boxes. We divided it out amongst a few of us. I figured some day it would be worth a lot, and I was right. I still have four cases that are unopened. They made a bunch of it, but it got sucked up, and people will not turn loose of it.

As far as the new stuff is concerned, they will keep making it until it looses it's appeal, then it will be closed out, just like the last time. However this time I think they will make even more of it to saturate the market. I am happy about the new stuff, it is making the older stuff even more valuable.

Have you seen the prices the new rifles are selling for. It is outrageous. Tom.