PDA

View Full Version : Another rush on ARs?

osteodoc08
03-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Stopped by my LGS. The AR rack was looking mighty bare. I asked the clerk what the deal was with that and he said they've sold out of certain types of ammo (the AP), but have also sold a good but more ARs than usual. Is anyone else seeing this?

dragon813gt
03-05-2015, 09:57 PM
No, plenty to be had at rock bottom prices. Plenty of ammo on the shelves as well.

Plate plinker
03-05-2015, 10:17 PM
gotta be because the salesman and chief and the atf muckin about with the ammo.

William Yanda
03-05-2015, 10:20 PM
LGS has had a pic of Obama as salesman of the month for several years now.

MaryB
03-06-2015, 01:24 AM
My LGS had 2 AR-15's today and he normally has a half dozen or more. He doesn't stock M855 and other AR ammo was selling at normal rates. I grabbed 200 more rounds of Geco(great brass for reloading, decent range ammo) for my stash. He has plenty of steel case ammo on hand and a small assortment of brass case.

Only thing that really caught my eye was Savage B-mag 17WSM... so tempted to put it on layaway!

Cmm_3940
03-06-2015, 01:39 AM
A savvy LGS owner might hide half his AR and 223 inventory in the back, leaving empty shelves...

MaryB
03-06-2015, 02:14 AM
Not my LGS, regulars get one price, mall ninjas get another! I paid $40 less than what he charged the mall ninja in front of me for the same ammo. Dude was wearing body armor, had 3 pistols strapped on that I could see, a ridiculous knife that was more of a machete... when he left and we heard the car leave we burst out laughing. First time he had ever bought something after hanging around for a year telling customers retarded stuff. He was told to not come back a while ago unless he was buying. 3 other regulars who reload were in plus the owner.

blademasterii
03-06-2015, 07:42 AM
My local shop usually has 15 or 20 ar's on hand. I'm planning a stop by there later today, so i'll let you know if its the same here. I buy the lowers stripped cheap when I can and build them as I find deals. Just ordered all the stuff last night to finish a 300 blackout pistol. :D Going to ask the stamp guru about sbr stamp filing for the blackout too.

Screwbolts
03-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Stopped by my LGS. The AR rack was looking mighty bare. I asked the clerk what the deal was with that and he said they've sold out of certain types of ammo (the AP), but have also sold a good but more ARs than usual. Is anyone else seeing this?

What ammo are you referring to as " the AP "? Just curious if he has some special ammo?

Ken

dragon813gt
03-06-2015, 08:00 AM
M855, green tip, is the ammo he's referring to. Reclassification has caused a run on it.

Screwbolts
03-06-2015, 09:34 AM
M855, green tip, is the ammo he's referring to. Reclassification has caused a run on it.

And IMHO, everyone that is using the terms is agreeing with the lies that it is "AP". It hasn't been reclassified yet, have you already excepted the tyrant?

Thank you,

Ken

Love Life
03-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Not my LGS, regulars get one price, mall ninjas get another! I paid $40 less than what he charged the mall ninja in front of me for the same ammo. Dude was wearing body armor, had 3 pistols strapped on that I could see, a ridiculous knife that was more of a machete... when he left and we heard the car leave we burst out laughing. First time he had ever bought something after hanging around for a year telling customers retarded stuff. He was told to not come back a while ago unless he was buying. 3 other regulars who reload were in plus the owner.

That's messed up. If I knew the name of the gunshop I would start a campaign against them similar to how people campaign against Cheaper than Dirt.

GabbyM
03-06-2015, 10:40 AM
LL you forgot the purple text.

Love Life
03-06-2015, 10:41 AM
I was as serious as AIDS.

trapper9260
03-06-2015, 10:47 AM
I had talk with someone that gave me a call not long ago to talk and he told me that this ammo that is talk about so much is junk ammo because he used it when fighten in the middle east.He said it is not what they all say it is.Just to let some know from someone that have first hand use of it in the Army at the time .

Love Life
03-06-2015, 10:49 AM
I posted 1st hand experience of this ammo with pictures and a funny story detailing how it really sucks (telling people the ammo sucks offends some people). However, the important thing is the proposed ban. That is what needs to be fought as this really is a slippery slope. I'm just waiting for some retard to make a 30-06 self loading pistol.

dakotashooter2
03-06-2015, 10:54 AM
I expect the AR tables to be very busy at the gun show this week...................................Personally it doesn't affect me because I wouldn't take one if it was offered to me... not my style................

dragon813gt
03-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Outside of M855 there is no reason anything should be selling more than usual. Rock bottom prices are currently driving the AR market. I know I've been buying parts because I don't see them getting any cheaper.

My concern is that all the low information conservative voters think there is an AR ban being proposed. Why point out conservative? Because they're the ones buying AR related products. It takes less than a minute of searching the internet to find out all the information about the reclassification. But people are to lazy and stupid to do the research themselves.

Love Life
03-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Time to make some money on poly lowers?

dragon813gt
03-06-2015, 11:33 AM
I have three stripped lowers I'm willing to part w/ for $1k each. Have three flattop uppers w/ dust covers and forward assist I will let for for $700 each. Maybe I should fan the flames so people will willingly pay those prices ;)

Love Life
03-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Hehehe. You evil gouger, you.

Garyshome
03-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Well he made me a few $$$$ a couple of years ago.

dragon813gt
03-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Hehehe. You evil gouger, you.

Yep, you know it :beer:

Dhammer
03-06-2015, 12:33 PM
If one just reads the newspaper titles. It sounds like a total all out ban on AR and all 223 ammo.

I know on some of FB reloadong pages guys were reporting some idiots had made mad runs on their local Walmarts and sporting good stores clearing out the shelves of 223/5.56. I'm to far from any store to see for myself. For some reason our Walmart doesn't stock alot.

Crazy were in country literally, lots of close shooting and hunting. Yet, they just don't stock much. One back in IL, in suburbia was loaded to gillls with ammo and bulk 223 and 5.56 stuff. LGS too marked up for anyone to want to clean em out. If we go to Valley, this weekend will have to hit a few stores and see just for kicks.

scarry scarney
03-06-2015, 12:58 PM
There is a gun show in my town this weekend (Yes, even in Komiefornia, we have gun shows, mostly knives and beef jerky, but we they are called gun shows). There will be a lot of Mall Ninja's there, buying ammo at twice the price, and anything that looks like an "evil black rifle." I ought to spray paint my Glenfield Model 60 black, and sell it this weekend!

starmac
03-06-2015, 12:58 PM
I never got the itch for an AR, so never pay any attention to what is going on with them, but yesterday I was looking at a chainsaw forum and some guy was asking if he should spend his chainsaw money on an Ar instead because he was afraid they would be banned. LOL I suppose there might be something to a new run on them.
The only time I have ever wished I had one was when people was paying stupid prices for them. lol

garym1a2
03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Don't forget the others sources of cheap ammo are also being cut off. Last year it was the Russian and Ukrane steel core and 7N6. After this new one goes thru than they will go after all steel core. Once the low end of ammo is gone everything will be $1 a round or higher.

Outside of M855 there is no reason anything should be selling more than usual. Rock bottom prices are currently driving the AR market. I know I've been buying parts because I don't see them getting any cheaper.

My concern is that all the low information conservative voters think there is an AR ban being proposed. Why point out conservative? Because they're the ones buying AR related products. It takes less than a minute of searching the internet to find out all the information about the reclassification. But people are to lazy and stupid to do the research themselves.

Smoke4320
03-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Don't forget the others sources of cheap ammo are also being cut off. Last year it was the Russian and Ukrane steel core and 7N6. After this new one goes thru than they will go after all steel core. Once the low end of ammo is gone everything will be $1 a round or higher.

you are correct .. then they will start again trying to ban all lead based ammo

montana_charlie
03-06-2015, 01:30 PM
I expect the AR tables to be very busy at the gun show this week...................................Personally it doesn't affect me because I wouldn't take one if it was offered to me... not my style................

But, because you ARE a gun owner and shooter, you will work to fight the M855 ban ... no?

you are correct .. then they will start again trying to ban all lead based ammo
If the M855 ban is successful, they will eventually ban the sale of any ammo that can be fired in an AR-15 'pistol'.

CM

dakotashooter2
03-06-2015, 02:29 PM
But, because you ARE a gun owner and shooter, you will work to fight the M855 ban ... no?

If the M855 ban is successful, they will eventually ban the sale of any ammo that can be fired in an AR-15 'pistol'.

CM
O yea I'm still fighting the ban. Theoretically they could now ban ALL 223/5.56 ammo because of the AR type pistols. I suspect almost any round would be capable of penetration soft body armor.

However the caveat may be that the existing regulations seem to address ammunition DESIGNED for use in pistols which this is not. And hopefully the court would interpret it that way...........

JB Weld
03-06-2015, 02:55 PM

Aint that the truth!

blademasterii
03-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Plenty of ar15 s at the shop today. Picked up 3 30 Rd mags for 21.00. Plenty of ammo too. No shortage or gouging there. Then I'm like Mary. I never pay retail there. Something about buying 7 guns there in the last few years and sending anyone I can there.

texaswoodworker
03-06-2015, 04:33 PM
That's messed up. If I knew the name of the gunshop I would start a campaign against them similar to how people campaign against Cheaper than Dirt.

I was as serious as AIDS.

What happened to... ?

People are mad that they cant afford it. If cdt were to offer m855 for $100 per case, I can assure you that many people would conveniently forget that they were boycotting the company.

I support whatever company has what I want. I never did figure out a way to load and shoot principals.

Since we are 7 pages in, and I didn't want anybody to miss it:

Some cows just cuz':

:P

Love Life
03-06-2015, 04:57 PM
CDT charges the same jacked up prices for everybody. No "favoritism" based off how somebody looks or chooses to exercise their 2nd amendment rights.

Keep trying and one day you'll get one right.

The business practices of MaryB's LGS smells worse to me than CDT could ever be imagined to be.

texaswoodworker
03-06-2015, 05:21 PM
CDT charges the same jacked up prices for everybody. No "favoritism" based off how somebody looks or chooses to exercise their 2nd amendment rights.

The business practices of MaryB's LGS smells worse to me than CDT could ever be imagined to be.

So charging one guy more because he's a pain in the butt and your trying to get rid of him before he gets one of your other customers killed with his bad advise bad business practice, but CTD's price gouging during every panic, pandering to the anti gunners by taking ARs off the shelves a few days after Sandy Hook, supporting the anti gun Universal Background Check bill, selling dangerous ammunition, and cheating customers with their outrageous shipping is not bad practice?

bhn22
03-06-2015, 05:30 PM
I have three stripped lowers I'm willing to part w/ for $1k each. Have three flattop uppers w/ dust covers and forward assist I will let for for $700 each. Maybe I should fan the flames so people will willingly pay those prices ;)

Nice try. Wrong crowd, but nice try!:grin: I can think of a couple of sites that might work well on though.

bhn22
03-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Lots of stores around here knock a little off the price for regular customers.

Screwbolts
03-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Hey Guys and Girls,
This link is to the Whitehouse.gov petition site. As of right now
there are 80,279 signatures to try to help prevent the banning
of XM855 5.56x45 ammunition (I’m number 80,338). We need a
total of 100,000 signatures before March 16, 2015 to reach our
goal. Please take a minute or two to add your name. There is no
registration procedure, all you have to do is list your name, email
address and zip code. You will then receive an email to verify that
you signed the petition, just click it and your done. More than one
signature can be sent from the same email address account.
Thanks “again” for your response,
Ken

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-batfe-banning-xm855-ammunition/XrvVh1cj

dragon813gt
03-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Nice try. Wrong crowd, but nice try!:grin: I can think of a couple of sites that might work well on though.

I should have said face to face sale only. I would not ask those prices here.

Whitehouse petitions are a complete waste of time. They don't do a thing. Better the spend your time contacting your representatives since they're the ones that make law. Focus on the legal aspects of the proposed M855 ban and how it doesn't fall under the current definition of armor piercing. You can 350 million signatures on a Whitehouse petition and it won't make a difference.

garym1a2
03-06-2015, 07:45 PM
I have to agree on this.

Love Life
03-06-2015, 07:54 PM
So charging one guy more because he's a pain in the butt and your trying to get rid of him before he gets one of your other customers killed with his bad advise bad business practice, but CTD's price gouging during every panic, pandering to the anti gunners by taking ARs off the shelves a few days after Sandy Hook, supporting the anti gun Universal Background Check bill, selling dangerous ammunition, and cheating customers with their outrageous shipping is not bad practice?

Their practices were applied across the board. Everybody paid the jacked up prices, everybody lost the ability to buy AR's from them, and everybody stood to suffer if the background check went into play. As for the shipping...if people can't put forth the effort to see which ware house their stuff is shipping from, or possibly call and place an order, than that makes no matter to me.

MaryB's mall ninja did not get that choice. He was given the big weenie because he was "A mall ninja" who may or may not (based off a random poster's comment) have passed on bad info. Once again, only a mouth breather takes the word of strangers as gospel so if anybody got hurt then you can consider it bleach in the gene pool.

However, MaryB said "Retarded stuff" not bad or unsafe advice. Please do not add false details.

texaswoodworker
03-06-2015, 07:59 PM
So what your saying is, one person getting screwed over is worst than thousands (millions if you count the background check bs) getting screwed over.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Love Life
03-06-2015, 08:04 PM
No. The one person was intentionally screwed. He was unaware and unable to make an educated decision to not purchase the ammo based off price and the fact that he was "Gouged" because of his preference in dress.

With CDT, you are only screwed if you make the decision to purchase at prices that you find distasteful.

On the one hand, MaryB's gunshop hosed a patron. On the other hand CDT increased prices, but you are aware of them, and have the opportunity to make an informed decision and not purchase from them.

It doesn't matter if it is CDT or Joe Bob's French fry shack.

dragon813gt
03-06-2015, 08:39 PM
I have to agree w/ LL on this one. And I've been very vocal about my dislike for CTD. There was a local shop that had "floating prices" based on how much the owner liked you. He's no longer in business because people found out about this.

I completely understand being friends w/ an owner and getting a discount because of this. I don't charge my friends full price when I do work for them. But I also don't charge people based on how much they've pissed me off. And I want to rake everyone over the coals that calls for service at 1:30am.

texaswoodworker
03-06-2015, 09:44 PM
No. The one person was intentionally screwed. He was unaware and unable to make an educated decision to not purchase the ammo based off price and the fact that he was "Gouged" because of his preference in dress.

With CDT, you are only screwed if you make the decision to purchase at prices that you find distasteful.

On the one hand, MaryB's gunshop hosed a patron. On the other hand CDT increased prices, but you are aware of them, and have the opportunity to make an informed decision and not purchase from them.

It doesn't matter if it is CDT or Joe Bob's French fry shack.

Ok, CTD is intentionally screwing everyone, and the guy choose to buy that product at whatever price he bough it at. I'm not saying that the shop was right in doing that, I'm saying those are both bad business practices.

osteodoc08
03-06-2015, 09:45 PM

MaryB never said the guy was overcharged. She stated she paid $40 less. This could mean a frequent customer discount. Now if the LGS had one price posted and this "Mall Ninja" was charged more than that posted price, that's another ball game.

Ive spent untold thousands of dollars at my LGS. I appreciate the discounts they give me. I don't directly ask for them but we all know each other by name as well as tastes in firearms.

Several areas of commerce are like this. Look at car shopping for instance.

If this guy felt he was being cheated, he could have walked out.

destrux
03-06-2015, 09:50 PM
I heard from the local shop that they were selling a few more than usual, his stock is far from low though. He thought it was mostly just people buying a second (or tenth) rifle with tax return money. Wal-Mart doesn't seem to have any less than they always have.

According to what the NSSF posted today the ATF just printed their new rule book (it gets printed roughly every ten years because it takes so long to get it approved by whoever oversees them).....
and the new rule book already lists m855 as NON EXEMPTED. The book had been in process for years, so they had to be planning this since at least 2013. So this whole "comment period" is only for show. They don't intend to even consider any opinions but their own. The only way we're reversing this is via congress.

destrux
03-06-2015, 09:55 PM
AP stands for anti personnel, which is what m855 is.

Personally, I don't use it cause I find it's less accurate than the lead core anyway.

I still don't agree with the ban, of course.

montana_charlie
03-06-2015, 09:58 PM
MaryB never said the guy was overcharged. She stated she paid $40 less. This could mean a frequent customer discount. Now if the LGS had one price posted and this "Mall Ninja" was charged more than that posted price, that's another ball game.
That's pretty much the picture I picked up, too.

CM

texaswoodworker
03-06-2015, 10:05 PM

Ive spent untold thousands of dollars at my LGS. I appreciate the discounts they give me. I don't directly ask for them but we all know each other by name as well as tastes in firearms.

That's a good point.

destrux
03-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Here's the link NSSF posted.... http://m.townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2015/03/06/exclusive-atf-has-already-banned-common-at15-green-tip-ammunition-n1966761

Dale in Louisiana
03-06-2015, 10:10 PM
If AR-15 prices go up this time, I'm selling. At 64, I'm too old to fight in the next revolution, and anyway, a .30-06 suits my personality better.

And in the army I served in, 'AP' was 'armor piercing', as in 'AP-T' - 'armor-piercing, with tracer', or APSD-T - 'armor piercing, discarding sabot, with tracer'.

dale in Louisiana

Houndog
03-06-2015, 10:15 PM
I don't think the "mall ninja" got hosed at all! He obvously paid the listed price and walked out with his purchase. Mary B on the other hand got a discount for being a frequent customer. When I owned my business regular customers got "helped out" at times when I could too! They appreciated a break on freight rates in lean times and I called it good business to help maintain customer loyalty. When I had to raise my rates MOST of the customers I helped out didn't even bat an eye. It worked WELL for me and them.

MaryB
03-07-2015, 01:20 AM
It is not messed up, this dude thinks he knows everything, had told customers potentially deadly reloading mistakes like cramming a compressed load of CFE223 in a case by filling it and then shoving the bullet in... in 3 years he has not bought 1 item until he was told to not come back unless he was buying.

MaryB
03-07-2015, 01:23 AM
I have bought 4 new guns from him in the last 2 years, plenty of powder and primers, and lots of ammo. This dude has not purchased 1 thing in 3 years. Yes I get a discount he doesn't because all my business goes to this gun shop.

MaryB
03-07-2015, 01:26 AM
He told a new reloader to take an 223 case, stuff it with FE223 then cram the bullet in compressing the powder. He overheard us talking about our pet load of 27.5 grains and claimed his load was the best. Soon as he turned his back we had a hurried whisper with the newbie to NOT do it if he likes his gun and his face.

Their practices were applied across the board. Everybody paid the jacked up prices, everybody lost the ability to buy AR's from them, and everybody stood to suffer if the background check went into play. As for the shipping...if people can't put forth the effort to see which ware house their stuff is shipping from, or possibly call and place an order, than that makes no matter to me.

MaryB's mall ninja did not get that choice. He was given the big weenie because he was "A mall ninja" who may or may not (based off a random poster's comment) have passed on bad info. Once again, only a mouth breather takes the word of strangers as gospel so if anybody got hurt then you can consider it bleach in the gene pool.

However, MaryB said "Retarded stuff" not bad or unsafe advice. Please do not add false details.

MaryB
03-07-2015, 01:28 AM
He paid the marked price, I do get a frequent buyer discount plus I do laser engraving for the LGS and we do a ton of barter back and forth.

tdoyka
03-07-2015, 02:28 AM
i am against the ban. i wrote my rep. about it and signed a few petitions.
i was in the army reserves in the 1990's. i hunt and shoot targets. but i never owned a m16 or ar's. i have shot everything from single shots to semi's to full auto's. the only thing i've learned is that the first shot is the only shot. i've been using a tc encore with four barrels, a 45-70 handi-rifle, and a 1898 spr armory 30-40 krag. theres others, levers, pumps, bolts, just to name a few.
as a matter of fact, i walked into three gun stores and the first thing that i went to was the old ww1 and ww2 bolt actions. i never noticed if the gun stores had ar's or not. some people like them, some don't. but i do draw the line on government supported rifle and bullet bans.

if i could walk and talk(had a stroke) i'd be the first guy to speak out against the ban.

altheating
03-07-2015, 07:49 AM

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-batfe-banning-xm855-ammunition/XrvVh1cj

Screwbolts
03-07-2015, 08:01 AM
thank you 80,338 here, Joe F is 80,279 I have other family and friends scattered threw it.

Ken

762 shooter
03-07-2015, 08:15 AM
A pawn shop owner here says that his gun inventory gets low at tax refund time. In four months the inventory goes back up.

500MAG
03-07-2015, 08:23 AM
If the dems make it into the White House again, especially for 2 more terms, the AR will be history. That's not good for any gun enthusiast AR owner or not.

Love Life
03-07-2015, 09:00 AM
That makes more sense. I see I need to go back to school for reading and comprehension as I took it to mean the store owner jacked the price up to be a douche.

I used to do the same when I sold here. I would have a cast boolits fixed price, and then a Gunbroker price where people got to bid through the stratosphere.

dragon813gt
03-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Went to a gun show this morning. All manner of ARs at low prices. Picked up a bunch of Magpul Gen2 mags for $10 each out the door. Plenty of ammo to be had at normal prices, except M855. Was hoping there would be someone selling parts. Unfortunately no one was. Plenty of complete uppers available though. Even saw the "gun show special" Bushmaster lowers for $100. It amazes me that someone would pay that price when they were $50 a month ago. Went there for powder but the vendor wasn't there even though he said he would be :mad:

EDK
03-07-2015, 01:59 PM
If the dems make it into the White House again, especially for 2 more terms, the AR will be history. That's not good for any gun enthusiast AR owner or not.

IF the dems make into the White House again, especially for 2 more terms, THE COUNTRY WILL BE HISTORY! Hillary or Elizabeth Warren will make Mr. Obama's excesses with executive orders and ignoring the CONSTITUTION look like childs play.

500MAG
03-07-2015, 02:20 PM
IF the dems make into the White House again, especially for 2 more terms, THE COUNTRY WILL BE HISTORY! Hillary or Elizabeth Warren will make Mr. Obama's excesses with executive orders and ignoring the CONSTITUTION look like childs play.
Great point

tdoyka
03-07-2015, 02:31 PM

81,620 here. thats another petition.