PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Remington Model 7

cabezaverde
03-05-2015, 03:15 PM
I have a Remington Model 7 chambered in 350 Remington Magnum.

The problem with it is that it has a very sharp lead in to the chamber. It is so sharp in fact that if the bolt is removed and you put your finger in the lead into the chamber, you can almost cut your finger. I am sure this can't be correct.

The way it is now, it will not feed RNSP J bullets or any kind of cast bullets, it just digs out a chunk from the nose. With factory spitzer ammo, it will feed correctly, but it scrapes the brass. If any of you shoot this caliber, you will know that brass is expensive and rare. These scrapes do not help longevity.

I love the gun otherwise. Any ideas on how I can put a slight chamfer or bevel on this sharp edge? I would have to go in through the back of the action.

plainsman456
03-05-2015, 09:45 PM
You might be able to get to it by removing the action from the mag.
I have managed to relieve that sharp edge somewhat without removing the barrel.
Used some emery cloth rolled up in a cone,it does take some time and several trips.
Hope you can get it cleaned up.

nekshot
03-05-2015, 09:48 PM
I would hand lap that and if that doesn't do it I would believe fire lapping it would, but I might be wrong.

Nobade
03-05-2015, 10:41 PM
In the shop, I would just pull the barrel and fix it on the lathe. But at home, if you can find a countersink burr with a very fine cut that is big enough, you can put it on an extension and cut the chamfer by hand. Is this a factory barrel? It would be odd for them to not cut it right. But I sure see a lot of gunsmiths leave them like that.

-Nobade

Frank46
03-06-2015, 01:23 AM
This is going to really sound dumb, but I have a swedish mauser that had the same problem. I have some old sears screwdrivers with the ball on the end of the handle. Found one small enough to go to the chamber mouth. glued some 220 grit silicon carbide paper on the ball stuck it in through the rear of the receiver and gently rotated it creating a slight chamfer. removed what was on the end of the handle and put some 600 grit on it and slightly polished what was already done. No more problems with shaving brass. Frank

cabezaverde
03-06-2015, 11:47 AM
In the shop, I would just pull the barrel and fix it on the lathe. But at home, if you can find a countersink burr with a very fine cut that is big enough, you can put it on an extension and cut the chamfer by hand. Is this a factory barrel? It would be odd for them to not cut it right. But I sure see a lot of gunsmiths leave them like that.

-Nobade

Yes, factory. I believe out of the custom shop!

warboar_21
03-09-2015, 02:42 PM
I have the model 7 CDL in 350 rem mag. My rifle doesn't have the problem you described so I am not sure what to do. I would take it to a reputable smith and have them fix it.
It's one of my favorite rifles I have.

country gent
03-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Im assuming the sharp edge is on the back of the barrel ( actual leade you couldnt get finger to in the chamber) If this is where it is at and the sharp edge is grabbing. remove bolt and mag follower and spring. Set muzzle down in a well padded vise to support it solidly. With fine lapping compound and a brass round screw work the edge of the barrel to chamfer the edge slowly and evenly. Work back of screw or brass ball in a oval or figure 8 pattern spinning slowly by hand. You just need to break the sharp edge enough to allow rounds to slide over it.

cabezaverde
03-09-2015, 03:45 PM
I have the model 7 CDL in 350 rem mag. My rifle doesn't have the problem you described so I am not sure what to do. I would take it to a reputable smith and have them fix it.
It's one of my favorite rifles I have.

What are you doing for brass these days?

warboar_21
03-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Midway got a seasonal run last year I guess it was. I picked up 150. I have also made them from old 300wm. It was a lot of work though.
I think nosler makes brass for it.

fatnhappy
03-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Jim,

If you elect to have the throat reamed by a local smith I would recommend Tom Fargnoli down in Naples. He builds world class bench rest rifles from scratch.

If you need his number shoot me a PM.

Dean

pietro
03-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Jim,

If you elect to have the throat reamed by a local smith I would recommend Tom Fargnoli down in Naples. He builds world class bench rest rifles from scratch.

If you need his number shoot me a PM.

Dean

There's nothing wrong with the throat of the OP's rifle - apparently, the back edge of the chamber was left as-is when the chamber was cut.

fatnhappy
03-09-2015, 08:41 PM
There's nothing wrong with the throat of the OP's rifle - apparently, the back edge of the chamber was left as-is when the chamber was cut.

Looks like I misunderstood. I thought I read the word leade. Still... Tom does good work.

cabezaverde
03-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Looks like I misunderstood. I thought I read the word leade. Still... Tom does good work.

Thanks Dean, it is the back of the barrel. Do you find him to be reasonably priced?

fatnhappy
03-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Yes I do. I'll shoot you a pm when I get home.