PDA

View Full Version : New adventures of safetyman! (eye and ear protection)

ohland
03-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Some folks are having fun pulling trigger, casting, and reloading. A friendly reminder to all - it isn't just YOUR processes that are of concern. We cannot control everything, but we CAN take common sense precautions to guard against the bulk of injuries.

Safety - or - shooting glasses. Impact resistant. C'mon, they're cheap (Remington has yellow hi-vis wrap-arounds under $20). So your reloads are the safest, your brass is brand-spankin new Norma, flew over on a hypersonic jet straight from Sweden early this morning. But what about that old retrobate on your left that loves to scrounge brass out of the club's trash bins (like my departed uncle Chuck, RIP). Might have reloaded with some old WWII brass that had corrosive primers... In an infinite universe, infinite things may happen.

Ear protection. Your left ear is closer to the muzzle (right handed firers), but both ears will be damaged with enough gunfire. I thought I had a mild load and could get by once, but it was like naval gunfire, took ten minutes for the silence to go away. If you use ear muffs, but dislike glasses because the pressure from the bows under the ear cups, consider ear plugs, many modern variants that are WA-A-A-Y more comfortable than the GI variety.

Casting. Never had the tinsel fairy yet, but just one even will damage a very sensitive (and irreplaceable!) sense.

In conclusion, we're all safety officers... Get in the habit of always having safety glasses and ear protection in your range bag. Especially for the younger folks or those new to shooting... THEY might forget to have the proper gear, so WHO will help them by remembering it?

And now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast....

RED333
03-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the kick in the pants, we all need it from time to time.

ohland
03-05-2015, 10:00 PM
I see the pictures of young folks having a good time, I want them to go to bed and wake up with the ability to hear their Brittany growling and see their Brittany stretch out like a cat in the morning....

We can help them (and us!) stay in good shape by securing good fitting eye protection and good fitting ear protection. If their safety gear is awkward, uncomfortable, or not available, it probably won't be available or used that ONE time something bad happens.

William Yanda
03-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Recent hearing test shows me with borderline benefit from hearing aids. The Dr. recommended double protection, i.e. plugs and muffs.

ohland
03-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Recent hearing test shows me with borderline benefit from hearing aids. The Dr. recommended double protection, i.e. plugs and muffs.

Sounds like a former gun bunny. Most of the older guys have dual hearing aids.

Pb2au
03-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Blindness is more inconvenient than safety glasses.

Pipefitter
03-05-2015, 11:04 PM
I took several welding classes years ago at the local community college, there was a sign on the wall there that said "You can eat with false teeth, and you can walk on a wooden leg, but you can't see with a glass eye."

ohland
03-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Blindness is more inconvenient than safety glasses.

I took a shop class at a local tech college, and I ****e you not, on a Bridgeport vertical mill with a 3HP (or more!) 220v motor, there were braille signs by the controls.

joesig
03-05-2015, 11:40 PM
Once I found bifocal safety glasses, even my young eyes liked being covered when doing machining or detail work. I did have one sliver get under the glasses and got me. New glasses every month is cheaper than just one ophthalmologist visit. Ask me how I know. In Dec I found bifocal safety goggles on Amazon and am much happier. Yes they fog a little but the band under the muffs works well and no slipping down the nose. More important, no slivers sneaking under the shield.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramex-Readers-Eyewear-Temples-Anti-Fog/dp/B005E0RFTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425612305&sr=8-1&keywords=Pyramex+Safety+V2G+Readers+Eyewear

Pb2au
03-06-2015, 07:57 AM
I took a shop class at a local tech college, and I ****e you not, on a Bridgeport vertical mill with a 3HP (or more!) 220v motor, there were braille signs by the controls.

Holy cow..........

It makes me think of all of the press brake operators I have met missing fingers. "Hi! My name is Lefty!"

oldred
03-06-2015, 09:14 AM
A Braille safety warning on a milling machine? Mandated safety warnings have reached the point where they have acquired a "cry wolf" effect and rarely get anyone's attention. At a mine in Ky I went into a small building located on the property used for storing air filters and on the wall of that roughly 12'x12' one room and one door building was posted one of those goofy Government mandated "Escape plans" directing the occupants to the door in case of fire or other emergency!