PDA

View Full Version : 10mm and 40S&W cast versus jacketed

Ktmrider
03-05-2015, 06:50 AM
I have had the opportunity to use the 10mm in many years past for whitetail hunting with the 200XTP, and this combo works great. This past year I picked up a Shield in 40S&W because of the lighter weight than my Delta Elite is nice to carry during deer season. I had a chance to dispatch a wounded buck with a the same bullet in the 40, although much slower than the 10. Performance was shall we say not the greatest because of the much slower speeds required 2 shots in the lung area to stop the kicking. What I'm wondering is would the 180g HP bullet from NOE work better considering both of these different guns? If I pick up a mold I would carry nothing but these bullet in both. I'm sure I would have to choose the right mix to get the performance needed but is this something possible? I would like to be able to make what I need instead of placing a order for some J bullets. Thoughts... recommendations?

Oreo
03-05-2015, 07:57 AM
There are a number of folks here that hunt deer using 200gr or heavier cast boolits in a 10mm. Most prefer 6" barrels minimum or carbine length barrels better to get the mv up. So, by comparison the 40sw is pretty anemic for the task, especially with a 180gr from a 4" barrel.

Stick with the 10mm as minimum for deer. Also select a 200gr design if you plan to use a cast boolit. Cast boolits are very well up to the task when used appropriately. I recommend the 200gr WFN design I drew up for MiHec. There is a current mold group buy taking orders. (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=264983) NOE I think also has a similar design that should perform well.

fredj338
03-05-2015, 03:05 PM
If you are using a small handgun to finish a deer, put the round in the head, done. Even a 22lr works for that. Yes you could make a LHP work for both buy varying the alloy &/or vel.

Ktmrider
03-05-2015, 06:14 PM
I have had the opportunity to take many deer with a ton of different calibers and I always an the guy preaching use enough gun to bring them down. I know the 40 will be very light but at the 20 yrd mark should still do nicely, and I am that patient to wait for that close shot. Thanks for the info on the heavy weight, that is the size I was leading towards for the pent ration if shoulders are hit. Plus it is having a one bullet does all in my world. Thanks again.

Oreo
03-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Both can be loaded close to 1000 fps, 10% difference in weight, 4-5" barrel, something else was the problem.

40sw won't do 1000fps with a 200gr boolit from a 5" barrel. 10mm will do 1300fps from a regular 4.x" glock barrel. Not to mention the 220gr designs that work well in 10mm that are just too long for 40sw.

40sw is probably fine for a finishing shot where placement is always perfect but hunting from yardage the 10mm is decidedly better.