PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a pistol

twoshotc
03-04-2015, 10:56 PM
I reload for 38s and 357s with my cast bullets. I am considering getting a pistol. And I want to reload with my cast bullets. I have read that Glocks do not shoot cast well or the company recommends that cast not be shot in Glocks. So what semi autos do you recommend? I do not care for the 1911 types.
Thanks for your suggestions.

ejcrist
03-04-2015, 11:35 PM
I have two Glocks (27 and 34) and I've never shot cast in them but I believe you can if you get the aftermarket barrels with the regular rifling and that support the web. The fit is tighter but I've heard they shoot well.

Cmm_3940
03-05-2015, 12:12 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?33855-The-Truth-about-Glocks-and-Cast (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?33855-The-Truth-about-Glocks-and-Cast)

This has been covered before. Read and decide for yourself.

Artful
03-05-2015, 12:34 AM
I like SIG's but GLOCKs work fine - first thing in a pistol is how does it feel in your hand and when you point at something instinctively (look at something, shut your eyes, point with the EMPTY pistol, open your eyes) does it point where you are looking. (sights lined up, not having to break your wrist to align sights, etc).

One I don't own but I would recommend you look at is CZ pistols. Don't be afraid to go to a range and rent a few to see how they really feel to you when shooting, price of guns these days it's cheap insurance.

Lead Fred
03-05-2015, 12:40 AM
My Sig spits out 230gr RN as fast as I can pull the trigger, not a problem yet.

I bought 900 jacketed, but have not loaded one yet. The cast are cheap practice, and I makem up as I needem

winelover
03-05-2015, 09:02 AM
You neglected to say what size pistol you would be interested in, only that 1911's were out. If you are needing a CC piece, the Beretta Nano digests cast exceptionally well. I feed mine 125 RCBS RN's or Lyman 356402 TC's, with either Unique or Bullseye.

Winelover

twoshotc
03-05-2015, 11:56 AM
I am looking for CC weapon. Right now I carry a Ruger sp 101 in 357 during the winter.. It is a five shot. In warmer months, I carry a Colt mustang ll in .380. It holds 7 plus 1. I am thinking about getting at least a 9mm with a greater capacity. I will carry factory loads cc but I want to use cast for back yard shooting. I do a lot of that.
With this in mind, what do you suggest?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-05-2015, 02:04 PM
I am looking for CC weapon. Right now I carry a Ruger sp 101 in 357 during the winter.. It is a five shot. In warmer months, I carry a Colt mustang ll in .380. It holds 7 plus 1. I am thinking about getting at least a 9mm with a greater capacity. I will carry factory loads cc but I want to use cast for back yard shooting. I do a lot of that.

I carry a Ruger LC9 , very easy to carry , and it eats Lee 356-120TC just fine , the LC9s-pro is definitely worth a look 7+1 9mm much shorter trigger than the standard LC9 as the LC9s is striker not hammer and the pro has no magazine disconnect to worry about

you should go rent a glock , if they fit you they have great parts and accessories availability

the S&W M&P is another gun you should try they make it in a compact, service , and long slide

ruger also has 9 round extended mags that should make for better range play with the LC9

when I first got mine first week of 2012 they had been out about 9 months ,holsters were a little harder to find , now the LC9 is a very very popular carry gun with a good selection of holsters.

if the capacity is what your after the SR9C would be worth a look it will also take the SR9 17 round magazine , it has very ambidextrous controls also

robertbank
03-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Take a very hard look at the CZ PCR aka 75 D Compact. 14+1 rds capacity totally reliable. Tested by the Czech Army and shoots like a laser.

Take Care

Bob

18Bravo
03-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Take a very hard look at the CZ PCR aka 75 D Compact. 14+1 rds capacity totally reliable. Tested by the Czech Army and shoots like a laser.

Take Care

Bob

+1 on CZ. Perhaps one of the most under rated handguns available. Depending on your budget CZ will have something to fit the bill. I have a P0-7 Duty for CC that is both inexpensive and accurate. Being a DA/SA was a major plus. However their 75 series has been proven over the years and should be a consideration for your shopping list.

soldierbilly1
03-05-2015, 04:08 PM
try a Springfield XD9 on for size. 17 shots I think.
billy boy

NC_JEFF
03-05-2015, 06:49 PM
I shot a lot of cast from a Taurus 92, 20 years ago, it was a very accurate gun with cast 124gr RN. I sold it because someone asked if he could buy it from me and not being in love with the caliber, I let it go. I've tried more than once to buy it back but have had no success. I prefer my 38, 357 and 1911 45 over 9mm but that gun was exceptional.

tazman
03-06-2015, 11:29 AM
I also have a Taurus pt92 but don't know how well it would work for concealed carry since it is a full size pistol.
With a Beretta barrel dropped in, it shoots extremely well. Mine has fired thousands of rounds with perfect reliability.

twc1964
03-06-2015, 11:59 AM
I have a glock 9mm and a model21 in 45acp. I powdercoat all my boolits and have zero leading. My 9 has the factory bbl and ive pt probably over 1k of lead thru it with no prob.

Char-Gar
03-06-2015, 12:04 PM
I reload for 38s and 357s with my cast bullets. I am considering getting a pistol. And I want to reload with my cast bullets. I have read that Glocks do not shoot cast well or the company recommends that cast not be shot in Glocks. So what semi autos do you recommend? I do not care for the 1911 types.
Thanks for your suggestions.

In Texas and many other places, you already have pistols. The distinction between a pistol and a revolver never made it this far.

"Froggie went a courtin, he did ride, with a sword and a pistol by his side"

tazman
03-06-2015, 01:35 PM
I may be wrong about this, but I suspect the distinction between revolver and pistol came about when revolvers were invented. The old single shot, muzzle loading pistol was the original. When revolvers came into being, they needed a new designation to differentiate them. Hence the terminology. The label, pistol, was probably given to the semi automatics to differentiate them from revolvers since the term was already in common use.
Languages evolve as new items are developed. Learning how to apply the definitions can be a big aid to understanding each other.

Char-Gar
03-06-2015, 03:32 PM
I may be wrong about this, but I suspect the distinction between revolver and pistol came about when revolvers were invented. The old single shot, muzzle loading pistol was the original. When revolvers came into being, they needed a new designation to differentiate them. Hence the terminology. The label, pistol, was probably given to the semi automatics to differentiate them from revolvers since the term was already in common use.
Languages evolve as new items are developed. Learning how to apply the definitions can be a big aid to understanding each other.

Well, come to Texas and start talking about pistols, and there will be very little understanding. A pistol is anything you can hold in one hand and shoot.

tazman
03-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Well, come to Texas and start talking about pistols, and there will be very little understanding. A pistol is anything you can hold in one hand and shoot.

That was my definition up until I came to this site. Had to learn some new terminology.

fecmech
03-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Heaven help you if you put a "clip" in your pistol:holysheep

Char-Gar
03-06-2015, 10:33 PM
That was my definition up until I came to this site. Had to learn some new terminology.

Weii, I guess there is political correctness and there is gun terminology correctness. In my world there are two kinds of pistols revolvers and automatics. I see no need to conform to the popular thinking on this board.

Artful
03-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Heaven help you if you put a "clip" in your pistol:holysheep

Well unless it needs one
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/styer1912_loading_with_stripper_clip.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Mauser_C96_M1916_Red_4.JPG

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/44839-2/revolver_clips_7383.jpg
http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW-Gov/DSC00218.JPG

Artful
03-07-2015, 01:40 AM

So how much greater capacity are you looking for?
How Small / Large can you conceal? (different size people, and clothing change what's concealable).

Can you go as large as a Glock 19, SIG 229 or does it need to be smaller?
What's your price point - how much can you spend?

RU shooter
03-09-2015, 09:50 AM
I just bought a used Kahr CW45 for a very reasonable price to be used as my CCW . It's rather light and thin for 6+1 rd cap 45 auto and felt a lot better in my hands than the glock 36

gpidaho
03-09-2015, 10:20 AM
In general, I'm a better shot with a revolver than a pistol but I just got the chance to fire the new Q designated Walther in 9 Luger. LIKE IT ALOT! Give it a look, best striker fired trigger I've ever felt. GP

flyingrhino
03-09-2015, 04:14 PM
I think the biggest issue with reloads in a glock has nothing to do with lead but with the unsupported area of a glock chamber. I've heard of glock kabooms but never experienced one. I've shot several thousand rounds of lead reloads through my 26 without issue. What concerns me is that much of the range brass I pick up that was glock fired has the bulge, especially the 40 cal. Repeated reloading and shooting glock fired brass in a glock could possibly lead to premature failure of the case due to overworking the brass in the unsupported area.

Fishman
03-09-2015, 04:35 PM
.45 is easier to reload than 9mm with cast in my experience. Not that 9mm is impossible or anything, but the thick brass and dozens of foreign makes make it harder.

robertbank
03-09-2015, 07:50 PM
I think the biggest issue with reloads in a glock has nothing to do with lead but with the unsupported area of a glock chamber. I've heard of glock kabooms but never experienced one. I've shot several thousand rounds of lead reloads through my 26 without issue. What concerns me is that much of the range brass I pick up that was glock fired has the bulge, especially the 40 cal. Repeated reloading and shooting glock fired brass in a glock could possibly lead to premature failure of the case due to overworking the brass in the unsupported area.

It may be a hold over. Since the Gen 3 the Glocks support the case as well as any pistol does. The Gen 1 & 2 were the culprits for not supporting the case and the 40cal versions were the ones with most of the kabooms.

Take Care

Bob

flyingrhino
03-09-2015, 09:53 PM
It may be a hold over. Since the Gen 3 the Glocks support the case as well as any pistol does. The Gen 1 & 2 were the culprits for not supporting the case and the 40cal versions were the ones with most of the kabooms.

Take Care

Bob

Good to know that Glock fixed that problem. Mine is 25 years old. There is still a lot of that brass in my range scrap.

bobthenailer
03-10-2015, 07:30 AM
A+ for the Kahr's ! have 4 for CCW, TP45 , PM45 , PM9 and CW380 !

Kahr makes a deluxe and a value line, the value line is a real bargin price for what you are getting .around hear under $350 for the value line and about $650 for the deluxe line, if you shot them side by side you would not know which one you were shooting ! the difference is in some machining and some parts and only one mag instead of three mags.