PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Hi-Tek powder

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2015, 08:32 PM
I know I read somewhere how to mix the new Hi-Tek powder, but for some reason, I can't find it. I know it has everything but the Acetone in it.

I got a couple cans of the powder, just need to know the mix ratio if one uses spoon measure such as teaspoons, etc. I already own a set of measuring cups/spoons I use for measuring chemicals for parkerizing, so I would rather use those and not have to buy any other measuring devices.

Ausglock
03-04-2015, 09:03 PM
:groner:....Spoons.....

farmerjim
03-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Do the powder by weight . You should have a powder scale, so 1 gram = 15.4 grains . 1 ml = 0.0338 oz
20 grams to 100 ml = 308 grains to 3.38 oz. I use syringes to measure the liquids. All syringes that I have ever seen are marked in ML or CC (same thing) I got my syringes at the local farm COOP. you can probably also get them from a large animal vet . I think my 60 CC syrenges were about $0.90 and the 10 CC ones were about $0.40. The needles were about $ 0.25 to 0.35 each. Be sure to blunt the tip so they will not punch through the thin drink bottle plastic. (don't ask me how I know that it will. ) With the syringe and a needle you can draw up the correct ammount of the mixture while you are constantly shaking. Great for some of the metallic colors that tend to settle out fast.

Love Life
03-04-2015, 09:30 PM
1 tbs powder to 6 tbs acetone. If you go a little over 6 tbs then that won't hurt anything.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2015, 10:43 PM
:groner:....Spoons.....

Can you imagine that? The American citizen descendant of a Scotsman, using the King's own measuring system with spoons made in China on Metric equipment?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2015, 10:44 PM
1 tbs powder to 6 tbs acetone. If you go a little over 6 tbs then that won't hurt anything.

Thank you Sir, couldn't get any simpler than that and I don't have to buy anything, except maybe a bottled water with a pop open nipple on it.

Ausglock
03-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Can you imagine that? The American citizen descendant of a Scotsman, using the King's own measuring system with spoons made in China on Metric equipment?

Nothing wrong with that.
I'm Scottish/German Australian

Love Life
03-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Thank you Sir, couldn't get any simpler than that and I don't have to buy anything, except maybe a bottled water with a pop open nipple on it.

The bug juice bottles (kids drink) are great for HI-TEK. I use a set of measuring spoons I took from the Mrs. ( I bought her new ones) for measuring out my ratios and supplies. That method has worked 100% of the time since I tested and started using the HI-TEK powder last year. Bake for 20 minutes for 45 acp, 44, 40 bullets and 16 minutes for 358 and below.

I water quench after the second bake because all of my guns have shown better accuracy with harder bullets. I still ensure a proper fit, but the harder bullets definitely show a tangible edge over softer in my guns.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-05-2015, 12:19 PM
The bug juice bottles (kids drink) are great for HI-TEK. I use a set of measuring spoons I took from the Mrs. ( I bought her new ones) for measuring out my ratios and supplies. That method has worked 100% of the time since I tested and started using the HI-TEK powder last year. Bake for 20 minutes for 45 acp, 44, 40 bullets and 16 minutes for 358 and below. Unfortunately, my kids have kids, so no bug juice bottles for me. Your information on baking is certainly useful.

I water quench after the second bake because all of my guns have shown better accuracy with harder bullets. I still ensure a proper fit, but the harder bullets definitely show a tangible edge over softer in my guns I think baking the coating on softens the boolits from their original hardness. Water quenching would either return them to original state or harder I'm guessing.

What temperature are you using? 400 F?

ioon44
03-05-2015, 05:14 PM
I am using a dish soap container which holds 266ml and is made of thick plastic with a pop open lid and spout, this doesn't leak like some light containers I have tried.

kryogen
03-11-2015, 09:20 PM
whats a spoon? the thing I use to mix sugar in my coffee? I don't know what volume it holds... it holds soup and sugar...

I use 120ML acetone to 20 grams.
I coat 2.5 ML per kilo

kryogen
03-11-2015, 09:21 PM
What temperature are you using? 400 F?

200 celcius

Love Life
03-12-2015, 08:24 AM
A spoon is that concave thing that holds stuff.

For us 'Murrica types, 1 TBS of powder carded off level, 6-7 tbs acetone, shake or stir, allow to sit for 1/2 hour. Shake again before applying.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-12-2015, 09:41 AM
A spoon is that concave thing that holds stuff.

For us 'Murrica types, 1 TBS of powder carded off level, 6-7 tbs acetone, shake or stir, allow to sit for 1/2 hour. Shake again before applying.

When it comes to mixtures that sort of become solutions, it's the ratio that's important, not the unit of measure. In this case, Love Life helps me by providing the ratios I need with the devices I already have on hand, thereby enabling me to mix the desired ratios without having to spend additional monies for things I don't really need.

This is in keeping with the true spirit of the boolit caster, who casts boolits to get better accuracy and to shoot more as well as to entertain himself when he can't be out shooting.:cbpour:

Love Life
03-12-2015, 10:34 AM
That ratio makes my boolits look like this along with what the boolits look like at different ratios.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Purty boolits.

Love Life
03-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Something you may want to pursue. As I increased the acetone ratio, accuracy tightened up in several pistols and calibers. At 1-7 things kind of plateaued, and I found 1:6 ratio to be the best.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Something you may want to pursue. As I increased the acetone ratio, accuracy tightened up in several pistols and calibers. At 1-7 things kind of plateaued, and I found 1:6 ratio to be the best.

Good information to have. What temperature are you baking at and what sort of times?

Love Life
03-13-2015, 10:11 AM
400 degrees F. 20 minutes for 40 caliber and up. 16-18 minutes for below 40 caliber. You can actually bake for longer without degrading performance of the coating for pistol bullets. I baked beyond 30 minutes, but settled on my current times for peace of mind and faster production.

Start small with 100 or so bullet batches. I gooned up my 1st couple of attempts, but practice built proficiency so now I just shake and bake with nary a care in the world.

Water quenching works for me, but the product still performed as designed with air cooled bullets. I use the hardware mesh stapled to 2X4 boards. I have a 6 ft drying rack for the the 1st and second coating, and a 12X12 cooling rack to dump air cooling boolits on due to the size limitations of my oven. I use the hardware mesh coated oven rack that is in my Powder Coat shenanigans thread.

I'll typically coat throughout the week and then do a mass bake on Friday.

popper
03-13-2015, 10:25 AM
For us 'Murrica types, 1 TBS of powder carded off level, 6-7 tbs acetone, shake or stir, allow to sit for 1/2 hour. Shake again before applying. The best answer.

Love Life
03-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Good to see you here Popper!! Didn't you test baking the HI-TEK for longer periods than 30 minutes?