PDA

View Full Version : SP101 question

Wolfer
03-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Just got my first SP101 on Monday. I'm pretty impressed with it but the little woman thinks the trigger is hard to pull DA.
Brownells has spring kits at 10 and 12 lb.

Does anyone know what the factory spring is?

bcp477
03-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Yep. The factory hammer spring (on all but the 22 cal. versions).....is 14 lb. The 22 cal. versions have, I think, a 14 lb. hammer spring (on earlier versions)....and a 16 lb. currently. The trigger rebound spring on all versions is 10 lb.

Keep in mind that, with most SP101's, using the 9 lb. spring will introduce some FTF's into the equation. Usually, quite a few actually - unless the gun has been the subject of a THOROUGH action job to reduce friction. The 10 lb. spring is less problematic - but often, not 100 % reliable, either. The 12 lb. spring, though, seems to be just fine. That is what I use in my SP101's (or that is, what I have in my 2". I have already ordered one for my "new" 3" gun, which I just got today).

The 12 lb. spring doesn't provide a huge reduction in trigger effort, but some is better than nothing. Since I carry each and every one of my revolvers for S.D., 100 % reliability is MANDATORY. Which spring YOU choose to use is up to you, of course.

Wolfer
03-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Many years ago I had a security six. A local gunsmith had one just like it with reduced springs. I don't know how reduced but I suspect as far as you could go.
I had him do mine the same way. It would always fire in SA but occasionally misfire in DA. I eventually called Ruger and got me a new factory spring.

Tackleberry41
03-04-2015, 08:48 PM
I bought one recently. I used the IMSI chrome silicon springs, doesn't say anything about a reduction, just feel different. Alot of mine was just its a production gun and the internals dont get that much attention. Gritty, even squeaked. I just took the edges off some things, polished some places, and some oil. Way better now. The factory coil spring was a bit rough looking anyways, the grinding on the ends was pretty bad. I bobbed the hammer a little, about half off, still cock it but alot less to get caught on anything.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-04-2015, 09:18 PM
this is what i did and it helped ruger sp101 trigger job https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zX5StuHLWY

Petrol & Powder
03-05-2015, 07:30 PM
If I recall correctly the 10# mainspring gives reliable ignition in an SP101 but the 9# one would result in occasional misfires. I've owned a bunch of them over the years but never seem to write down the spring weights after I get them the way I want. :shock: I wish Wolff would color code their springs so that idiots like me could know at a glance what was in the gun!
If the gun is carried for SD I would probably not go less than 12# on the mainspring unless you're completely satisfied with the performance of the 10# spring. You're call but I'd rather have a little heavier trigger and a gun that goes bang every time.

Wolfer
03-05-2015, 08:22 PM
I'm fine with the gun as is. However the next time I make a Brownells order I'll throw in a pack and give them a try.

Im still a little gun shy ( pun intended ) from my last reduced spring experience.

GP100man
03-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Hit Michigan Outdoors & get shims/springs for the hammer & trigger , these will help reduce friction & make pulls more consistent , they have videos on how to measure & install shims/springs.

Tell Lance GP100man sent ya .

YWIA

Poygan
03-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Put a Wolff spring in mine but it didn't set off primers reliably (don't remember the weight of the Wolff spring). Re-installed the factory spring and later added some of Lance's shims. Happy with it now.

bassnbuck
03-05-2015, 10:59 PM
I put the cart in front of the horse on this. I had a wolf spring kit and houge grips here before my 3'' 101 arrived. Got it home, installed lightest spring and grips. Then took it shootin. Approx 600 rounds now, no problems.:grin:

Petrol & Powder
03-06-2015, 08:00 AM
I'll second Michigan Outdoors, good people to deal with.

Boogieman
03-06-2015, 03:18 PM
One of the main things in smoothing a Ruger SA or DA is the hammer spring strut. It is stamped steel with rough edges. Rounding & polishing the edges where the spring rubs helps alot also smooth the hole in the spring seat. This MIGHT allow you to use a lighter main spring. This is an simple fix that doesn't require special tools or skills & is hard to mess up.

GP100man
03-08-2015, 10:15 AM
When ya get it apart inspect all parts for ruff edges/burrs. Another place that affect trigger pull directly is clearance/smoothness of the window for the hand. Deburr window & polish the hand smooth.

JimA
03-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Hit Michigan Outdoors & get shims/springs for the hammer & trigger , these will help reduce friction & make pulls more consistent , they have videos on how to measure & install shims/springs.

Tell Lance GP100man sent ya .

YWIA

Make that Michigan Center Outdoors... WWW.triggershims.com (http://www.triggershims.com)