PDA

View Full Version : Got the gravel out of my new Ruger

Tackleberry41
03-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Traded my 357 blackhawk in on something easier to carry around. A NIB Stainless SP101, the short barrel. It had about the worst DA trigger, yea lighter than the old Nagant I have, but it didnt feel like it had gravel inside. The hammer squeaked going back and forth, the trigger did to, you could feel the parts grating together. Bought a set of IMSI springs for it, used an online thing to take it apart, never owned a ruger DA before.

Not a drop of lubricant anywhere inside w stainless parts rubbing against each other. Wasnt to bad, no glaring burrs of metal or anything. Polished what your supposed to and oil, a thing of beauty now. Just a bit odd they wouldn't put any lube inside.

tazman
03-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Bean counter cost saving measure?
Poor quality control?
Carelessness at the factory?
All of the above?

Tackleberry41
03-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Me and a friend were talking about Ruger yesterday, he was wanting one of their cap and ball guns they used to make. The going price seems to be $600 and up. One would think Ruger would see they could sell a pile of them with the resurgence of BP shooting. They could offer more models and like I said probably sell a pile of them. But there I go making sense.

I dont expect Ruger to sit there and polish the contact points like I did in a production gun for the price they sell for. But a few drops of oil isnt to much to ask. I had barely put any rounds thru it and the trigger and hammer pins showed evidence of galling. How long before it would require a trip back to Ruger to be fixed?

bhn22
03-04-2015, 11:10 AM
How long had the gun been sitting around? They only get minimal lubrication from the factory before shipping to keep things from getting messy, and to help prevent corrosion. Oil of course drains off over time, leaving minimal residue, or oftentimes it will gum up or even varnish, making it more of a hinderance than a help. Was it a really recently produced gun? I always clean and lube everything before I shoot it anyway, so I wouldn't have noticed a lack of initial lubrication.

Tackleberry41
03-04-2015, 01:24 PM
It was NIB, guns dont stay very long in the case at this store, went back the next day and the other SP101 was already gone. There wasnt a hint of lube, residue or anything inside.

Petrol & Powder
03-12-2015, 06:31 PM
New in the box doesn't necessarily mean recently made however it probably just wasn't well lubricated at the factory.
I've owned and shot a fair number of SP101's over the years and there's a lot of quality in that design. They are a bit larger and heavier than a J-frame S&W and a bit smaller than a 2" K-frame. It's sort of like a J-frame on steroids. They are a bit too big/heavy for pocket carry but some folks can pull that off. The good news is once you get one the way you want it [contact surfaces polished, correct springs, properly lubricated] They Stay That Way! For its class the SP101 is super strong.
It really is a good design. I like the spurless hammer and DAO versions in the 2.25" barrel length but that's a personal preference.
They can be deceivingly good guns and excellent long term shooting tools.
I hope you enjoy your new revolver!

Tackleberry41
03-12-2015, 11:47 PM
I do like it, its now the gun I keep ready next to the bed. I went with the one with a hammer, just like to be able to cock a gun when I want. I did cut off about half of it so alot less to catch on anything.