PDA

View Full Version : Bedding cerakote considerations questions?

10 ga
03-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Have a Rem 700 that is Cerakoted. Going to bed action, float barrel. Have done plenty (8) of bed jobs. Usually use playdoh for fill and 2X coats Kiwi neutral shoe polish for release agent. Always has been steel cleaned good and then release applied.

My question is: is that a sufficient release to keep the Cerakote from adhering to the bedding compound? Any suggestions for a release special to use with Cerakote nice to know.

Guess Nobade will give the definitive answer and awaiting his post.

Thanks to all. 10 ga

03-03-2015, 07:20 PM
I have bedded a few rifles (all blued or sst) and sprayed Cerakote, but never the two. I would think that a couple coats of polish would work just fine, just like on a normal rifle finish. Typically we bead blast before cerakoting to give it a good surface to adhere to, but well applied polish should create an adequate barrier between the bedding compound and the finish.

country gent
03-03-2015, 08:47 PM
As long as the release agent does it's job the epoxy shouldnt stick to the cerrakote, it will be a snug tight fit but it shouldnt adhere. I would still use clay or playdough to plug off holes to avoid the mechanical locks.

Nobade
03-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Well, I have bedded a lot of Cerakoted rifles but the only mold release I have ever used on them is the stuff I sell. That's what it's made for, and it works great. But I imagine shoe polish would work just fine as well. Cerakoted finishes actually seem to release easier than blued steel, and especially if it has been polished. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

-Nobade