PDA

View Full Version : can a bottle neck cartridge be used in a model 1907 WSL rifle

blackbahart
03-03-2015, 03:33 AM
Looking for some information on converting a 1907 WSL rifle to a 22 cal center fire either 218 bee or 221 rem fireball.I have converted a few already to other cartridges that similar in profile to the original cases with excellent results .

I read a line about a wsl rifle that was converted to fire 218 bee but can't find any other snipits of information .My concern is can the straight blow back 1907 action successfuly function with a bottle neck cartridge .I have enough parts to make up another rifle .

I have read on other forms where they keep saying it won't work ,but nobody has stated that they tried it .If anyone has tried this I would be interested in their results weather it actually worked or didn't work before I try as I am not opposed to learn from others experience

any assistance will be appreciated Cheers Peter

Nobade
03-03-2015, 08:55 AM
With such little bullet weight I seriously doubt it would work. Those rifles barely work right when loaded to their original specs. Download the cartridge just a little bit and they quit working, it's quite a delicate balancing act Winchester pulled off to get them to work.

-Nobade

C. Latch
03-03-2015, 09:06 AM
I suppose it would be possible to trim the counterbalancing weight under the forend, but I'd think it would be easier to do with a .28 to .32 bullet than a .22 bullet due to bullet weight.

leftiye
03-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Cycling is about ctg. head diameter and pressure (not bullet weight or diameter). Might very well be possible to make a .22 work. A tapered case like the Bee might lose pressure very fast, and affect blow back cycling. But if someone already did that, then it may even be easier than I would guess. .256/.357 anybody?

blackbahart
03-03-2015, 11:15 AM
hi ,I have already done 2 conversions on 1907s one in 30 carbine ,and the other is 338-223 and 2 on the 1910 a 44AMP and 360 DW /357 mag and all these are straight wall cases .It is a lot of work to make up a barrel as I made 2,a 338 and 357 .I did have to do some counter weight trimming/lightening on 2 conversions in order to get them to cycle reliably .With the wsl rifle more pressure does not make them cycle,it can stop cycling if there is too much pressure

The problem is although I read that the 218 bee ,a bottle neck cartridge was /may have been done but no other information .A lot on the web I found is actually fact ,and some is what was heard and represented as fact .

I do realize that there is no advantage to a 22 center fire in a wsl as there are already better choices .But it would be neat to do it just to do it

Cheers Peter

Geppetto
03-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Here is a good source regarding the operation of blowback firearms:

http://www.orions-hammer.com/blowback/

The theory discussed there could be used to help determine the suitability of other cartridges and possible bolt weight modifications that may be needed.

M-Tecs
03-03-2015, 12:19 PM

The theory discussed there could be used to help determine the suitability of other cartridges and possible bolt weight modifications that may be needed.

Great info. Thanks for post the link.

texassako
03-03-2015, 02:26 PM
What about a .25 caliber instead of .22 and use the .256 Win Mag? There is a current thread in the factory rifle section about a .256 Ferret carbine.

Nobade
03-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Now trimming the weights is cheating...

Have fun!

-Nobade

blackbahart
03-04-2015, 01:25 PM

thank you for the link ,there is a lot of information and from my understanding I believe I will proceed with the project and will use the 221 rem fireball as it will give me the 1.9" oal and feeds a lot smoother than the 218 bee .Now back to the bat cave to start on the abomination

I will report back at a later time with results weather *** or holy ****

cheers Peter