PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new mould.

willlong9
03-03-2015, 01:18 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new .433 or .432 mould for a ruger SBH 7.5 barrel and a H&R handing rifle. I have a NOE 265gr. FN/GC that I like. But want a hollow point at about 240gr. or so. I like the combo moulds that cast HP/FN or a SWC combo. I prefer aluminum for the price. All the moulds I have are GC molds but I'm not opposed to plain base , I just don't have any experience w/ them. I also only tumble lube....fairly new to casting/reloading.

Anyone have any suggestions? What's your thoughts.

THANKS

osteodoc08
03-03-2015, 03:19 AM
Try to find a 429421 that has a HP such as a NOE RG mold. Klassic Keith.

Lonegun1894
03-03-2015, 04:09 AM
Before you spend ANY money, I would slug your guns. SAAMI spec for .44 Mag rifles is .432" while handguns are .429-.430". My SBH slugs at .429", but my H&R Handi-rifle slugs at .4325". If you only want one mold, it may be a good idea to get one that casts at least .434", so you can size it down for the handgun, instead of getting one that is too small. I got lucky and found one that casts at .435", size to .434" for the rifle, and .430" for the handgun, and then make sure I don't confuse which is which. The .434" ammo won't chamber in my SBH, and the .430" shoots 15"patterns at 25 yds in the rifle, while the .434" does 2-3"@100yds with the issue irons.

Since you said you're new, make sure you study up a bit here and ask questions so you learn from mistakes some of us have made instead of spending money to relearn the same thing and repeat our mistakes. Actually, forget slugging your bores. MEasire the inside diameter of brass fired in each gun and see what the largest bullet you can chamber is, and use that size in each one. Just remember that you may end up with two different sized bullets, and also quite possibly two different molds for this project. Don't let that discourage you though, cause I don't think we have any members here who own just one mold anyway. Or at least I'd be surprised.

willlong9
03-03-2015, 09:38 AM
THANKS for the input. I'll look for one of the 429421 moulds. I have slugged bother bores and got .431 for both, so that makes it easer. I had Lee make a .432 sizeing die. Now I'm looking for .433 or larger to test/play with. Thanks for the replies so far :-)