PDA

View Full Version : Question - How to make Paper/Wood consider (?) Rifle Shot Shell

71/84Mauser
03-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Hi everyone!

I have been coming to this site for years. Thank you to everyone's posts that have helped me out or given me a starting point for a project I was working on! :-o I figured it was about time I finally joined… go me!

I have a project I would like to dive in to but I am unable to find any staring point or even exactly what they are called….Recently I have been obsessed with my 71/84's and I would REALLY like to make some shot shells for them, with paper or wood as the canister (I am not sure if that is the correct word or not) does anyone have any experience with this??

Thank you for all your help!

elk hunter
03-03-2015, 11:17 AM
I haven't ever made any but, I would probably start with a wood dowel the proper diameter and shape one end for the round nose of the shot container. I would wrap 20 lb bond paper around it for about four wraps and glue it and slide it off and let it dry then return it to the dowel and form the nose end and glue and let it dry. Next pour in the appropriate amount of shot and seal the end.

LuckyDog
03-03-2015, 12:06 PM
If your barrel is a smooth bore, it'll probably work. Rifled barrels and shot, I have heard, don't do well.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10326

Makes sense to me based on centrifugal forces

71/84Mauser
03-03-2015, 08:30 PM
The dowel rod is a great idea! I had not thought of that. I was almost thinking of picking up an Oragami book and trying to learn to fold them. Typical me, over thinking things