PDA

View Full Version : .32 Smith & Wesson Long Wadcutter Cannelure Brass...or so I thought.

Fergie
03-02-2015, 10:41 PM
I've been loading up some various different .32 caliber loads over the past few weeks, from .327 FM down to .32 S&W Long. Today was a S&W Long day, and I ran in to an interesting issue.

You can see the two pieces of brass on the left. These were mixed in with all the rest of my .32 S&W Long brass, and I had thought(incorrectly) that there were simply wadcutter brass, due to the cannelure. As you can see on the far left piece, it is ballooned out more than it should be.

I was confused when the ram dropped down, and then I checked the headstamp...turns out it is .32 Long Colt brass. After some research, this cartridge uses a heeled bullet with a diameter of about two thou less than a .32 S&W Long, hence the balloon.

To further my confusion and education, I found the piece of brass that is second from the right. A double cannelure from Rem-UMC, and then a single cannelure piece of brass. The single cannelure and the .32 Long Colt are all from Western.

Always learn something new while reloading.

If anyone want them, I have about 9 or 10 pieces of .32 Long Colt brass that I wont be using. Send me a PM and I will send it your way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/bergferg/013_zps7gfrnfbf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bergferg/media/013_zps7gfrnfbf.jpg.html)

DuaneH
03-02-2015, 11:28 PM
The double cannelure case is from the old Rem WC load. I've still got a few boxes.

Harry O
03-03-2015, 09:54 AM
A while back, I bought a bunch of .32 S&W (short) cases that were cheap. In among them were 17 cases that were bulged badly on one side of the case over about the front 1/3 of the case. I checked the headstamps and the bulged cases were actually .32 Short Colt cases. Evidently they can be shot in .32 S&W short chambers without splitting.

I would like the .32 Long Colt cases. PM to follow.

PS: I load and shoot both .32 S&W and .32 Colt

Fergie
03-04-2015, 08:23 PM
A while back, I bought a bunch of .32 S&W (short) cases that were cheap. In among them were 17 cases that were bulged badly on one side of the case over about the front 1/3 of the case. I checked the headstamps and the bulged cases were actually .32 Short Colt cases. Evidently they can be shot in .32 S&W short chambers without splitting.

I would like the .32 Long Colt cases. PM to follow.

PS: I load and shoot both .32 S&W and .32 Colt

Caught one more going through the last of my .32 SWLs, and they are all on the way to you now.

Once this weather clears, I'm looking forward to trying out some of the various loads to see how they do. Between the .32 SWL to .327 FM, these pistols are fun to shoot all around.

MrWolf
03-05-2015, 09:43 AM
edited. Looks like brass was already spoken for.