PDA

View Full Version : problem with rem 405 load

acsteve
03-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Should the remington 405 boolit be seated to use one of the cantelures? My XLR-45/70 will not cycle the bullets using either cantelure and I have had to resort to seating the bullet deeper. Is this a problem with a lever rifle? I would be crimping with a lee crimp die. At this point I have to tip my hat to Ranch dog, his boolits cylcle slick and look great. I would like to have the option of jacketed or cast. thanks

rkwrichard
03-04-2008, 06:21 PM
I currently have 4 different 45-70 Marlins and 1 sharps and have no problem using the remington 405 bullet in any of them. Since the XLR was designed for Hornady’s new LEVEREVOLUTION® ammunition which uses a little shorter brass you may have to seat the bullet a little deeper.

By the way I also shoot a few of the Ranch Dog bullets and they also work fine in my marlins but are to large for my sharps..

MtGun44
03-05-2008, 02:05 AM
The Rem 405 is a two diameter bullet. If your throat is really tight, like
my 1886 Win is, this is the only bullet that will chamber unless seated
really very deep. Try crimping just over the step where it changed
diameter, so the undersized nose is into the throat.

Bill

Dr. A
03-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Your max OAL should be around 2.55 and using a Lee factory crimp helps to place the bullet and keep it where it belongs. The step is indeed the logical place to have the bullet crimped.

This bullet, although not cast, is a fantastic "old fashioned" jacketed bullet that has killed quite a few bison and deer for me over the years. Get it going fairly fast, and its quite deadly.

MtGun44
03-06-2008, 02:39 AM
I used the Rem 405 over 57.0 W748 to take a wildebeest and zebra in
2005 with one shot each. Very good bullet, expanded well and penetrated
well, too. Chrono shows about 1750, load is reported to be trapdoor
pressure level.

Buffalo are bigger and I'd imagine tougher, so clearly this bullet will do what
you need with the old .45-70.

Bill

acsteve
03-06-2008, 08:23 PM
thanks for the direction, seated them a little deeper, and they functioned well. As suggested I tried the leverution brass I had, they used front cantalure and measured right at 2.6". About as long as I would try but they worked smoothly. I am using 47gr R-7 behind the remingtons, 420 Ranch Dogs and 425 beartooth. Just tried a few. Should be around 1750+ out of the xlr. Pretty lively load. Also tried a few 457" round ball loads over 5g green dot or 5g titegroup with the ball seated on the powder and really found the 350 ranch dog over 13 gr trailboss to be really pleasant. thanks for the guidence