PDA

View Full Version : How can I melt lead-tin and antimony in a Lee IV melter?

chancho veloz
03-02-2015, 03:59 PM
I would appreciate somebody's assistance in the following matter.

I want to start casting bullets. I bougth recently a Lee 20lb 220V melter which maximum temperature is 900F.

I bougth also lead form old pipes, tin and antimony.

How can I melt an alloy whith antimony since the melting point of this metal is higher: 1167F? It is higher than the maximum temperature that reachs the melter.

Retumbo
03-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Generally you buy a lead/antimony alloy to add to the pot

http://www.theantimonyman.com/index.htm

Pure Antimony in small quantities has always been the difficult metal to obtain and then alloy due to the high melting temperature of the metal compared to the temperature limits of furnaces and normal melting procedures. In the past sources of the metal have been in already alloyed linotype, smelted wheel weights (WW), magnum grade high quality small shot and some range lead scrap

geargnasher
03-02-2015, 05:20 PM
It is possible to get the antimony into the lead solution at lower temperatures. First, melt tin and let the antimony dissolve in it, then add that mixture while molten to molten lead in the proportions you want.

A quick Google search brought up this http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?63657-Alloying-Antimony-Tin-Lead

Gear

runfiverun
03-02-2015, 05:37 PM
I have melted antimony chunks in alloy before I held the temp down to 600-615 f.
it takes a lot of patience to get the antimony to go into the mix.
and tin does help speed things up.

Dusty Bannister
03-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Generally you buy a lead/antimony alloy to add to the pot

http://www.theantimonyman.com/index.htm

Reminder: The Antimony Man is no longer in business.

RogerDat
03-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Roto Metals site sponsor link at the top of the page, Super Hard - 30% antimony 70% lead. $20 for 5# ingot ready to go in your pot.
5# ingot of that super hard with 45# of plain lead pipe and 1.1 lb. of pewter (or equivalent amount of tin) would give you 95/3/2 Pb/Sb/Sn which should be a darn nice alloy.

geargnasher
03-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Roto Metals site sponsor link at the top of the page, Super Hard - 30% antimony 70% lead. $20 for 5# ingot ready to go in your pot.
5# ingot of that super hard with 45# of plain lead pipe and 1.1 lb. of pewter (or equivalent amount of tin) would give you 95/3/2 Pb/Sb/Sn which should be a darn nice alloy.

He's in Uruguay.

Gear

Steve Steven
03-03-2015, 12:27 AM
I made a 50/50 Lead/Antimony mix.

I first tried melting the Antimony in melted Lead, but the Antimony FUMED QUITE BADLY. I felt I was losing a lot of the antimony this way. Next I made a tight fitting lid to my melting pot (a medium sized saucepan) put the lead and Antimony chunks in, put the lid in the pot (tight fit in the tapered sides of the saucepan) and began melting with a Oxy-Acetylene torch.

Don't know hot I got it, but had a brief red glow in spots. Got a brief puff of white fumes from the Antimony, I wore a mask just in case. After a bit, I felt it must have been all melted by now (swirled the pan, no rumble from chunks) so I cut off the torch, pulled the lid, saw molten metal, pored it in angle iron molds. It had a crystalized appearance, but melted into the melt in my Lee pot just fine. I made three batches of this, and never did it again.

Just my experience.

Steve

RogerDat
03-03-2015, 01:33 AM
He's in Uruguay.

Gear

Eeek! Missed that, shipping would be an issue eh?

I think Steve is onto something with "melting with a Oxy-Acetylene torch" While everyone does not have one they are commonly available. Or maybe for a small batch one could find those oxy-propane torches that use the disposable 16 oz. bottles. Sort of expensive for the bottles if you had to do it often and not sure of it being available in Uruguay, or prices if it was available.

A MAPP gas torch should get the temps required but again don't know availability or price outside of US stores.

If antimony combines readily with tin, and tin will help get the antimony into the alloy. Would that mean something like 50/50 tin solder or 92% tin pewter as a base would work well? I'm sort of thinking of the process for getting copper into a melt by mixing it with melted tin, then adding the tin to the lead.

jmort
03-03-2015, 01:57 AM
I believe it will dissolve to about 3%.

chancho veloz
03-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Thank you guys. I will attempt to melt the 3 metals separately in order to adjust the Brinell hardness at the desired number.

Deadpool
03-03-2015, 01:56 PM
You could always use a steel trash can and leaf blower with some eaves pipe to blow air into the bottom of the can with a wood fire to get the temps over 1200F. 50/50 Pb/Sb is a good mix for sweetening large pots of WW. Pour into muffin trays and might only need one muffin per 50lbs of WW for a 6% Sb mix, give or take.

Use an eaves elbow segment and about 4 feet of pipe, dig a little trench for that so the trash can sits on the ground or on some firebricks.. Duct-tape the output from a blower to the end of the pipe. Use a coffee-can or proper crucible on steel wire with wirecrimps for a handle to grab with a hook on a stick, two-handed. Have a second "handle" on your pot so you can pour. Give it some thought and be careful. Heat rises!