PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Lead Pipes/Drains

1911KY
03-02-2015, 02:05 PM
What do you guys do to clean the gunked up lead pipes and drains that you get? Is it even necessary to do so?

I had one that I split in half and then hammered flat and took a wire brush to. It cleaned up nicely but I don't want to do that for every piece I have.

I have contemplated using a torch and just burning every thing off.

Could I just throw it all in the pot and let it all melt together? Wouldn't the initial heat rise steam off any existing water and the caked on gunk work as flux?

Just want to be safe and avoid the tinsel fairy.

scottfire1957
03-02-2015, 02:29 PM
I just melt mine in an empty pot. Simply make sure steam has a way to escape.

John Boy
03-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Is it even necessary to do so? No, the gunk will float to the top as dross. Just use a bigger spoon to remove it

Atticus Flinch
03-02-2015, 02:45 PM
I melted a plugged up drainpipe that was full of hair and who knows what else. just stood it up in the pot and let it slide down as it melted. My neighborhood stunk for most of a day. It was likely the worst thing I've ever smelled. No concerns with water/tinsel fairy. the heat from the melt dried out any moisture long before the pipe slid that far down into the melt. That was back when I was using a much smaller heat source, though.

runfiverun
03-02-2015, 02:47 PM
never mind her.
all that white junk you are wire brushing off contains lead oxide [and calcium] you are just making it float around in the air.

dragonrider
03-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Just be sure to start with an empty pot, if you have more that one potful, empty before refilling and you will be ok............Well aside from the stink, cause it is going to STINK. Melting lead pipe is the most foul smelling thing I ever done.

1911KY
03-02-2015, 03:25 PM
never mind her.
all that white junk you are wire brushing off contains lead oxide [and calcium] you are just making it float around in the air.

This particular pipe was covered in grease, probably from the toilet ring! All the white ones I have are pretty dry so I just left those alone and planned to toss them in the pot.

I figured most were just melting them starting with a cold pot.

Thanks for the replies.

twc1964
03-03-2015, 02:22 PM
You can find some nasty stuff in those lead sewer pipes. I melted some toilet drain elbows and had a charred turd floating in my lead. Glad the wind was blowing away from me, lol. Just make sure its dry and skim the garbage out.

1911KY
03-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Not the kind of free flux you had in mind!!!:dung_hits_fan:

bangerjim
03-03-2015, 04:09 PM
I just melt them down! All gunk will float. Fluxing 3x with pine sawdust leaves you with lean clean lead. Brushing wastes time and stirs up oxides you do NOT want to breathe.

I never clean ANYTHING dirty I put in my remelting pots. Just make sure all is perrrrrrrfectly dry or bring up heat to drive out any moisture.

bangerjim

Driver man
03-03-2015, 04:57 PM
I just melt the pipes and scoop the rubbish off. Not a problem.

bhn22
03-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Hey! It's free organic flux. This could catch on!

lightman
03-04-2015, 07:33 PM
I just pile it in the pot and light it up. It stinks and smokes some, but not much worse than dirty wheel weights. I usually just stay far enough away that I does not bother me. I also have a large shop fan that I run.