PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean a Lyman Lead melting furnace?

S.B.
03-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Model on it is 61, had it since God was a boy, how or what do I use to clean this thing? Lead will barely drip out of the bottom pour spout any more. Adjustments are fine.

Marshal Kane
03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
You might try bringing the alloy up to temperature first and putting a container under the spout e.g. ingot mould, heavy metal pot, etc. Straighten the end off a paper clip and holding it with a pair of pliers, lift the valve handle and run the paper clip up the spout. This usually clears it so that you can continue casting. Eventually you should drain the pot, dismantle the valve stem and clean it along with the spout hole. Some steel wool should knock off all the crud. BTW, you might check to see if the pot is coming up to temperature. If it's been used a lot, the heating element, thermostate, etc. may be showing its age. Hope this helps.

S.B.
03-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks, Marshal.
Steve

montana_charlie
03-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Model on it is 61, had it since God was a boy,
When God was a boy, he knew how to clean it...but then He got busy with other things.

I recommend a thorough cleaning, if yours is as old as mine.
With the pot empty, but hot enough so the valve rod isn't stuck, remove the rod and handle from the pot.

Coat the inside with some motor oil (to eliminate dust) and use a cup brush on a drill to scrub the whole interior. Rinse with gasoline, or hot soap and water.

That removes the tan crusty buildup from the pot, now do the same for the rod and the inside of the spout...using tools that fit the job. (Just a thought...a .17 cal bore brush might be good for the spout.)

When the whole thing is spiffy-lookin', spray it all down with aerosol graphite. That will keep it from getting crusty for quite a while.

Then reassemble the valve parts.

If you must use a drill bit in the spout, I prefer to use one big enough to 'clean out' the crud...not big enough to enlarge the hole.
CM

dakotashooter2
03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I have found that taking a propane torch to the spout helps things along. Heat then insert a wire.

DLCTEX
03-08-2008, 01:40 PM
That's how I cleaned my old Lyman and Lee pots. DALE