PDA

View Full Version : Share something odd you overheard or was told, at a LGS, Shooting range or Gun show.

WILCO
03-02-2015, 12:47 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::shock: [smilie=s::popcorn::popcorn:

Frank46
03-02-2015, 01:03 AM
Remember when the CMP had the H&R model 12's 22 single shot 22 rifles for sale @$300 with the sights for sale?. Was at a local gun show here and overheard a dealer tell a prospective customer that he had paid $600 for it and was only making $100 profit for a grand total of $700. The guy walked away from the table so I asked to speak with the prospective customer. We chatted and he told me that he was looking for a 22 target rifle. Told him to get on the CMP website and check their prices and what had to be done to get one. He asked how how I knew about them. simple I said Fedex already dropped off mine a few weeks ago for $300 plus whatever it cost for shipping. I really hate to see someone raked over the coals by a dealer. Frank

Bullwolf
03-02-2015, 01:06 AM
"That there Bullseye powder will blow up your gun! "

Overheard at a local fun shop a few years back when Bullseye was still to found on shelves.

I shouldn't even have tried to educate him, since it would have meant more for me.

Suspect that it was still a carry over from the whole light charges of fast burning powder can mysteriously blow up guns thing. Rather than user error and double or triple charge mistakes, with deep seated, or even double seated boolits that Hercules attempted to disprove.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105592&d=1371757632

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105593&d=1371757629

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105594&d=1371757626

I told the gentleman that Bullseye had never blown up any of my guns after many happy years of use. The only way it was likely to do so would have been my own fault for not accurately checking on my powder charges.

Sadly there was no convincing him otherwise.

Guess you really can't fix stupid, dunno why I still bother to try.

- Bullwolf

freebullet
03-02-2015, 01:22 AM
Wait...what, there no poll? Your slippin.

My favorite from the gun store- "shooting lead is poisonous"

My favorites at the range- are the "send it" crowd. After chuckling at them all afternoon they always leave once fired brass for me. I love those guys, almost feel like I should send them a Christmas card except I don't know them.

My favorites from the gunshows- "they are gunna ban it" & "what if"

MaryB
03-02-2015, 02:27 AM
"No way a woman cast those bullets" I had dropped off some in exchange for the 100 pounds of pure lead my LGS gave me. I was sitting behind a wall working on his computer for him(barter is great!) when it was said so I popped my head around the corner and said "Those? I cast those yesterday" then went back to what I was doing. Justin said the guys face turned multiple shades of red, he sputtered, then walked out the door. Local mall ninja type that he was glad to see leave because all he does is run his mouth at customers and never buys anything

JB Weld
03-02-2015, 08:30 AM
I recently decided that I wanted a Henry AR7, and I spent several weeks looking for a good used one with no luck. After spending a couple hours at a local gun show on a Saturday morning, I was driving home and stopped at a Pawn Shop that was supposed to have a good selection of powders. There was no Trail Boss, but tucked away behind the other guns looked like a butt stock leaning against the wall. I asked the proprietor if I could see it and it turned out to be a like new AR7. I was pleasantly surprised and out the door with a good price.

Pipefitter
03-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Last month I took my youngest daughter to a town about 3 hours away for a tour of a college. I thought it would be a good idea to do a bit of searching on the internet and maybe check out the local gun stores there. Turns out there were 3 gun shops within about 5 miles of the college, one stores website was pages upon pages of new and used firearms, reloading supplies, and parts. I thought the GPS had steered me wrong when I pulled into the parking lot and the building was maybe 20 feet by 24 feet. We went inside and there was 2 guys behind the counter, both wearing bullet resistant vests, MAYBE 8-10 guns in the whole store, no reloading supplies or equipment, and I think my local hardware store has more ammunition on their shelves than these guys did.
"Wow, this place looked bigger on your website."
"Oh, I have like 6 or 7 distributors linked to our website, I can order anything you want and have it here in 3 days."
I did get an address from them on the best place in town for powder, went there and bought 2# of CFE2230 for $25/lb and the last # of Bullseye he had for $19.

Sweetpea
03-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Was at the hardware store a few days ago looking at powder, and the idiot behind the counter was telling a customer about ALL LEO's getting away from the 40s&w, because it had so much recoil that it would climb off target.

They said that the 9mm was light enough to stay on target, and the 45acp was too heavy to rise...

I called bull, and then they started in on how much better glocks were than any other gun, and that a glock would never malfunction, blah blah blah...

FISH4BUGS
03-02-2015, 11:08 AM
As a machine gun shooter, I get "...those are illegal" all the time. Particularly weird are the "...silencers are illegal" attitudes with the supressed Uzi, MAC 380 S&W 76 and Ruger 22. Often times I'll take the time to explain, but depending on how much of a jerk the guys is, I'll not argue. I just tell them with a straight face that "...I am not at liberty to discuss that".
Shuts them right up. I can get back to my shooting.

Don Purcell
03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
"You should only use jacketed bullets those cast bullets will wear out your barrel" Have heard it from guys on both sides of the counter.

country gent
03-02-2015, 11:08 PM
The latest was late last fall at our club while shooting the hepburn in 45-90. I shoot a 535 grn postell over 83 grns of 2 f powder or a 510 grn Paper Patched over 84 grns with a grease cookie added. The rifle has a 34" barrel and MVA 6X scope on it. He came down and was admiring the wood ( I opted for fancy walnut when C Sharps built it) the bluing and case hardening. Looked at ammo and asked load so I gave him the rundown and that it was true black powder not substitute or smokless duplication loading. I slid one of the PP bullets out so he could see it. His reply was black powder was only good for close ranges. I was shooting 200 yds that day ( farthest at the club) testing. I pulled out my note book and some old score cards from local shilouette matches to show him it was good to 500 yds +. His reply was those are hand written and dont mean alot, 2 or 3 score card showing 9 rams at 500 yds but those didnt mean anything to him either.

TheDoctor
03-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Guess he is experienced enough to not realize that quite often, at distance, black powder is often MORE accurate.

Why are those boolits colored? It's what? That won't work. Really! That's cool. You loaded those yourself? You will kill yourself, thats dangerous! How much to load me some? What do you mean you can't without a license? You don't need a license! etc etc

AR's are pieces of junk.

A 270 is worthless on hogs!

No way a 7mm-08 will shoot past 500 yards, you HAVE to use a 7 mag!

A 45 Colt is not as powerful as a 45 acp, thats why the army quit using it!

Why do you need so many guns, are you a terrorist?

And my favorite: if something goes wrong, I'm coming to YOUR HOUSE!

jcwit
03-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Was informed once that all ARMSCOR Rock Island 1911's manufactured in the Philippines are manufactured on CNC equipment left there by Colt after WW2.

Colt must have been WAY ahead of the game to have CNC machinery in the 1940's.

Friends call me Pac
03-03-2015, 11:31 AM
" Lead bullets will just poke a hole straight through them."
"You have got to use gas checks if you are going to shoot lead"
" You killed that deer with a wheel weight!?"

And my personal favorite,
" You can't shoot 45 acp in a 1911!"

blackthorn
03-03-2015, 12:31 PM
This guy said--- "You have an unfair advantage using your 190 Anschutz" and "I don't want to shoot from the position next to the wall"! I said --- "why not"? HE said --- "shooting next to the wall causes the bullet to veer away from the wall"! So --- I took that position, had my boy hand me ten club rifles (.22) one at a time and proceeded to shoot 10 rounds scoring 9x with the other round inside the ten ring. Pretty quiet guy for several weeks after that.

Comrade Mike
03-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Oh I've heard some good ones

"all those cheap Mosin Nagants are wall hangers, they'll blow up in your face"

"You can't hit anything past 10 feet with a snub nose revolver"

"XYZ brand of non Glock pistol is going to **** the bed the second you actually need it"

"Home built AR15's aren't as reliable as factory ones"

"You may shoot your handgun a lot but you never 'fought' with it. It's going to let you down when you need it"

groovy mike
03-03-2015, 12:52 PM
"Them damascus steel guns will blow up on you!" and "You can only shoot black powder in guns over 100 years old!"

badbob454
03-03-2015, 12:56 PM
i was looking at an old 44-40 lever action , being unfamiliar with this round , i asked him . What is the diameter of this bullet , he looked at me as if i was dumb, and said , it is a .44 diameter . curious i went home , a few blocks away and looked it up on the internet , and printed out information on this round , it is a .427 diameter , so i gave him the article so he can be educated also....., i passed on it as it seemed to be lacking power, falls somewhere around a 44 special in power ...according to what i have read ...

Dutchninja
03-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Several years ago at a gun show, overheard a guy’s wife actually stop and gasp when she saw a tripod mounted semi auto Browning 1919. She asked him if those were legal to buy. His reply of yes brought the response “ no wonder there is so much crime out there!!!”

wallenba
03-03-2015, 01:44 PM
"Shooting squirrels with a shotgun is 'unethical', because the squirrel has little chance." Not my conversation, did not comment. Evidently this young guy thinks it's a contest between hunter and prey. It's harvesting to me. 'Unethical', to me would be causing unnecessary suffering. Do meat packing/slaughter houses have a lottery for livestock, who's the lucky cow that gets to go free? No.

lbaize3
03-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Pretty much everything I have heard at the LGS and at gun shows was odd. But the one that irritated me the most I got second hand. I had loaned my 84 year young Aunt a Circuit Judge with 410 buckshot as a home protection weapon. She could handle it well and felt a lot safer in her town house. One day she wandered into Gander Mountain with a friend that wanted to purchase a home defense weapon. The salesman told my aunt that the 410 would penetrate the walls of her townhouse and kill a neighbor. He ended up selling her a pink Charter Arms snub nose with +p 158 grain ammo. I was so mad I could have chewed a nail.

TheGrimReaper
03-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Had a 350-400ibs man over telling some folks that he just got out of the Navy SEALS and when he was in Iraq he carried a Bersa .380.

Had a man probably in his 60's tell me he was a "SNIPER" in Vietnam, and guess what he carried??? A Remington 700 in .22-250 A.I.!!!

texaswoodworker
03-03-2015, 06:17 PM
i was looking at an old 44-40 lever action , being unfamiliar with this round , i asked him . What is the diameter of this bullet , he looked at me as if i was dumb, and said , it is a .44 diameter . curious i went home , a few blocks away and looked it up on the internet , and printed out information on this round , it is a .427 diameter , so i gave him the article so he can be educated also....., i passed on it as it seemed to be lacking power, falls somewhere around a 44 special in power ...according to what i have read ...

In a strong gun, you can load them hotter. I've seen 200gr loads listed as going 1800-1900 FPS out of a rifle.

They're good guns. I was really wanting one awhile back but could not find one in my price range. I "settled" for a 44 mag Rossi 92 that I love.

flyingmonkey35
03-03-2015, 06:44 PM
AR platforms are the best rifle out their.

My response. Its an OK gun for the cheapest bidder to sell to the military.

They were not happy with me.

Anybody who went to basic knows their a pia to keep clean.

JSnover
03-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Amen, brother.
Two AR myths, told as if they were gospel: "This the most accurate rifle in the world." And "on the black market you could get one million dollars for this rifle."

HABCAN
03-03-2015, 07:19 PM
"Don't EVER use boat tailed bullets............the powder gasses deflect sideways and burn out your chamber and barrel throat and that bullet won't get as much push!"
I asked if he wanted to debate hydraulics or thermodynamics. He left.

Big City Big Brand store 'Sporting Goods counter salesman': "Yeah, that Bullseye is a real good powder for high velocity in the .357! Use a magnum primer, dip a case full and jam in a 125 gr. HP and let 'er rip!"
THAT one I stepped in on before the kid killed himself or a bystander, then had a serious talk with the 'manager'.

blademasterii
03-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Is a .25 a good home defense/self defense caliber? I usually reply only if it is very heavy. That way after you finish shooting them you can throw it at them.

35 shooter
03-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Was shooting cast in my whelen at the range the other day. When one of the guys there realized what i was doing he wandered over and told me i was leading my bbl. and continued shooting would ruin it for sure.
I bit my tongue and shoved a patch through the bore and showed him there was no lead in the bbl.
His reply was ...well you can't see it but it's there and continued shooting is going to ruin it for sure.[smilie=b:

1911cherry
03-03-2015, 09:58 PM
"This rifle has swastikas on it , it's illegal to own." or That Mosin was made when?? You better not shoot it, it'll blowup!

71/84Mauser
03-03-2015, 10:12 PM
1) why do you buy bolt action rifles when they make semi autos now.

2) reloading bullets is too much work to save a few pennies

3) you only need one gun why do you have so many

4) no one should be allowed to own guns who has children

71/84Mauser
03-03-2015, 10:16 PM
oh I forgot my favorite one….

in order to carry a revolver for concealed carry the first cylinder need to be empty.

aarolar
03-03-2015, 10:28 PM
This is the exact reasons I try to stay out of gun shops...

wv109323
03-03-2015, 11:33 PM
I hear just recently a rehash of the Viet Nam era. With the M16 you hit them in the big toe and the bullet tumbles and comes out the left eye socket. That is still around.

jsizemore
03-04-2015, 12:24 AM
A fella told me at breakfast one morning that he read in Guns & Ammo, or one of the other gun rags, back in the 50"s that shooting bullets cast from WW would mess up your gun. I told him I'd won a few state championships shooting boolits cast from WW and they still shoot pretty good. He insisted he still wouldn't do it. I said "Thank You, cuz that leaves more for me".

MaryB
03-04-2015, 03:10 AM
Local mall ninja... I am using 50 grains of CFE223 in my .223... he overheard me talking to one of the shop guys who reloads and we both commented that 27.5 seems to be a real sweet spot for many rifles. We both looked at him and said "go for it but let me know what range you are shooting at so I can send an ambulance" same dude who claimed women can't cast boolits... yeah he is not really welcome in the store much anymore. Owner told him to get lost before he kills someone by telling them something wrong.

tommag
03-04-2015, 04:02 AM
Local mall ninja... I am using 50 grains of CFE223 in my .223... he overheard me talking to one of the shop guys who reloads and we both commented that 27.5 seems to be a real sweet spot for many rifles. We both looked at him and said "go for it but let me know what range you are shooting at so I can send an ambulance" same dude who claimed women can't cast boolits... yeah he is not really welcome in the store much anymore. Owner told him to get lost before he kills someone by telling them something wrong.

Talk about a compressed charge!!!

JeffinNZ
03-04-2015, 04:38 AM
A Brown Bess wasn't much good beyond 70 yards. So the fella who said that I invited him to stand at 75 yards to prove the theory. He declined.

rond
03-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Heard this yesterday. Guy had the last 2 boxes of Hornady Z-max and asked the owner if he was going to get any more in before the ammo ban went into effect.

Beau Cassidy
03-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Way back when I had a guy come in who was shooting .41 mags in a .410 shotgun. I also had a near Darwin candidate come in who blew his T/C Hawkins to absolute smitherenes using Green Dot as a primer for his black powder. There was very dramatic damage to the muzzleloader. The owner of the store would not let me take a picture of it. I swear I don't know how he did not get killed.

trapper9260
03-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Well I have a few and start with the latest, was at a gun show this past weekend and hear some one was buying some ammo and the seller told that person that ammo went up 3% of the price and the person said ok and bought it, Then I had some call me to ask me about the green tip ammo and all and then he said that some one told him it is not legal to load 223 ,I told him it was, then another time some said that you will lead up your gun shooting cast, also another said it was dangerous to shoot cast, another time it was not legal to do any reloading, or like some stated why you need so many guns,or that a semi auto rifle is a assult rifle and said no it is not a auto rifle is and you need a permit for it.

TheGrimReaper
03-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Back around the 2008 elections I had some mouth breather tell me we needed to buy all the ammo we could afford before the REPUBLICANS outlawed guns and ammo! Yea, I double checked with him and he did say Republicans.

texaswoodworker
03-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Back around the 2008 elections I had some mouth breather tell me we needed to buy all the ammo we could afford before the REPUBLICANS outlawed guns and ammo! Yea, I double checked with him and he did say Republicans.

I'm not standing up for the guy, but I would not have put banning guns and ammo past McCain.

Wayne Smith
03-04-2015, 09:51 PM
I was at the LGS the other day and talking about my 41Colt. A previous employee, USN armorer, and now contractor in the sandbox mentioned that he had some of that brass that he was gonna use to make light loads for his 41Mag! I was sorry to inform him that he had brass he couldn't use because the ID of the 41Colt was .386" and it used a heeled boolit. He listened - I think I'll have a chance at some 41Colt brass when he gets back from this trip to the sandbox!

Plate plinker
03-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Wait, wait, I need a time out to wrap more duck tape around my head. You know before we continue with this insanity.

snuffy
03-05-2015, 12:40 AM
Many moons ago, I overheard a conversation @t gander mountain. A counter monkey telling customer that had just bought a TC Hawken, along with all the accessories, that to clean that pyrodex RS from the barrel to use any cleaning kit that would be used to clean any modern rifle. He points at the bottle says see it says it's "smokeless powder". He already had the 50 cal. bore brush and mop. I had all I could do to keep my mouth shut. Sad thing is the guy probably ruined his brand new BP rifle.

I worked in a gunshop for 6 years. The boss had one sacred rule, the only loads we could give out had to come from a reloading manual that we sold at that time. No personal loads, too big a possibility you could remember it wrong, OR the customer could transpose numbers.

flyingmonkey35
03-05-2015, 12:23 PM
oh I forgot my favorite one….

in order to carry a revolver for concealed carry the first cylinder need to be empty.
This one is partially true in utah.

If open carry they want the hammer resting on a open chamber.

If concealed they don't care.

TheGrimReaper
03-05-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm not standing up for the guy, but I would not have put banning guns and ammo past McCain.
He wasn't talking about on R.I.N.O McCain...the whole party! When I asked him again he told me the Democrats where the ones protecting our gun rights!!!!!

TXGunNut
03-05-2015, 01:26 PM
When I bought my NIB 3rd gen Colt SAA in 45 Colt I mentioned it would probably see nothing but black powder and lead boolits. The salesman was nice enough to tell me that practice would wear it out very quickly. To his credit he listened when I gave him a short lesson in history and metallurgy. My favorite guy to eavesdrop on teaches CHL and self-defense classes and dresses like a mall ninja. Talks like one too. No wonder he's constantly looking for clients, most reasonable folks don't take him seriously.

John 242
03-05-2015, 02:22 PM
As Pogo once said, "We have met our enemy and he is us."

timspawn
03-05-2015, 03:11 PM
I have two walls in my shop with mounts on them. Some of the stuff I shot here and some I shot in South Africa. A girl and her boyfriend come into the shop to pawn a rifle. It was her deal and was just along for the ride. As I am typing her info into the computer, the boyfriend says something about the "cantaloupe" on the wall. I stopped typing and said "did you just say cantaloupe"? I said it's an "antelope" not cantaloupe. They came back the other day to pick up the rifle and the girl says "hey theres that cantaloupe" just to bust his chops.

texaswoodworker
03-05-2015, 06:01 PM
He wasn't talking about on R.I.N.O McCain...the whole party! When I asked him again he told me the Democrats where the ones protecting our gun rights!!!!!

Did he live under a rock?

tryNto
03-06-2015, 02:04 AM
cantaloupe!!!! Too Funny.

Doggonekid
03-06-2015, 02:05 AM
You can't kill a deer with a hand gun it is illegal. "It won't kill them it only makes them bleed to death."

rintinglen
03-06-2015, 01:32 PM
"That gun's too powerful-the Geneva Convention has outlawed it." Gun dealer at gun show telling woman why her mint M-1 Garand was only worth 200 dollars. I called him a liar, offered her 700 for it, but told her it was worth more-she should shop it around. Dealer called me an ***hole, I replied "better that than a thief."

fatelk
03-06-2015, 10:57 PM

Probably a union guy. A friend of mine said that his union told his guys the same thing at a union meeting. It was a blatant lie because most of the guys were hunters and gun guys. He said most of them dutifully went out and voted D. He still a union guy but he didn't buy into that lie.

WILCO
08-28-2015, 05:05 PM
http://imghumour.com/assets/Uploads/Lets-Bump.jpg

Chihuahua Floyd
08-28-2015, 05:51 PM
K-Mart, asking for 6.5X55, counter guy had no idea. I explained it was an old military caliber. Response was "We don't sell any military caliber ammunition." I asked why he had 30-06, 45 ACP, 38 Spl, 308, 223....
CF

quickdraw66
08-28-2015, 06:11 PM
You gotta love Walmart. :rolleyes:

Me: Do you have any 7.62x54R?

WM Counter Monkey: What?

Me: Do you have any 7.62x54R?

WM Counter Monkey: We have this. :hands me box of 7.62x39:

Me: ._.

bob208
08-28-2015, 06:48 PM
is that a gun you are carrying?
me yes
them will it kill some body?
me only if I tell it to.

I would not think of shooting reloads. the brass is not made to handle that. while he is buying 2 boxes of remanufactured ammo

tja6435
08-28-2015, 07:44 PM

Or Chris Christie

458mag
08-28-2015, 08:18 PM
AR platforms are the best rifle out their.

My response. Its an OK gun for the cheapest bidder to sell to the military.

They were not happy with me.

Yep and they are the premere elephant killer. And they were designed so that the bullet left the mussel flipping end over end so that theys like a buzz saw when they hits ya. I don't even try to explane. Just walk away.

FISH4BUGS
08-31-2015, 07:13 AM
This is the exact reasons I try to stay out of gun shops...
Maybe I am just lucky. We have 2 gun shops close by - the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME, (one of the largest gun shops in the North East) and Rennaisance Arms in Gonic NH (a small but well stocked gun shop).
Both of the places have knowledgeable staff and the customers are as well. I have never heard a stupid remark in either place over all these years.
I actually worked at the Kittery Trading Post gun department in '74-'78. Other than the guy that brought in a .25 auto to sell or trade, racked the slide to check it, and it went off shooting a hole through the wooden counter top, nothing sticks in my mind as being really stupid.

Kent Fowler
08-31-2015, 11:21 AM
Best gun show statement I ever heard was all the Argentine Ballester Molina .45 autos were made from the armor plate from the Graf Spee, which was sunk by the British in shallow water off the Uruguay coast.

Dframe
08-31-2015, 11:51 AM
I had an idiot tell me while babbling on about the virtues of glocks, that other semi-autos didn't have a trigger reset. He also said that a glock wouldn't fire if the slide were pushed back out of battery but all the other manufacturers guns would.

jonp
08-31-2015, 07:14 PM
Maybe I am just lucky. We have 2 gun shops close by - the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME, (one of the largest gun shops in the North East) and Rennaisance Arms in Gonic NH (a small but well stocked gun shop).
Both of the places have knowledgeable staff and the customers are as well. I have never heard a stupid remark in either place over all these years.
I actually worked at the Kittery Trading Post gun department in '74-'78. Other than the guy that brought in a .25 auto to sell or trade, racked the slide to check it, and it went off shooting a hole through the wooden counter top, nothing sticks in my mind as being really stupid.

My wife held her first SW 500 at Kittery several years ago and is still after me to buy her one

SteveS
08-31-2015, 07:20 PM
My neighbor recently told me that , being a "reloader", he keeps no less than 20,000 rds. of 9mm, loaded to 3000fps on hand at all times.

jonp
08-31-2015, 08:18 PM
3000fps 9mm is pretty hot stuff. Sounds like a compressed load

M-Tecs
08-31-2015, 08:35 PM
I had a table at a gun show with a fellow NRA High Power Long Range/ Palma shooter. We were talking about a Palma match (800, 900 and 1,000 yards) we both places well in when this "gentlemen" inserted himself into the conversation. His first question was what power scopes we used? We explained this was an iron sight match. He stated you can't see the target at that far without a scope. He than stated we must be using Nosler Ballistic tips. Next was what caliber? We stated we were using our Palma rifles in 308. He stated BS! a 308 will hit the dirt at 800 yards". I asked him to leave. He stated he knew what he was talking about since he trained with the Navy Seals. He was 28 to 30 years old maybe 5" 10" and close to 400 pounds. I asked him (since he worked with the Seals) how long it took him to learn how to balance the ball on his nose. He said some unkind things about me. I gave him the option of leaving under his own power or to be carried out. He waddled away and complained to the show promoter.

SteveS
08-31-2015, 08:40 PM
3000fps 9mm is pretty hot stuff. Sounds like a compressed load

Probably. He says he uses Winchester 123 powder.

dragon813gt
08-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Had a clerk tell me you're an idiot if you buy a new firearm. I had a new one in my hand at the time as he handed it to me to look over. Owner heard his remark and fired him on the spot. Not necessarily odd and I do somewhat share his sentiment. But that's a stupid thing to say to a customer.

cainttype
08-31-2015, 09:25 PM
Pawn shop favorite, related to me by the friend (victim) that owned it...
After a long time being displayed prominently, and eventually being marked down several times, my buddy suggested that I NEEDED his light-weight Kevlar T-shirt thingy... I didn't agree.
He broke down and admitted having something similar in a different shop a few years earlier (his family had several) a couple hours away from here... He had the same problem selling it, in that nobody seemed interested.
Sooo... One day a new customer eventually showed some curiousity. My buddy immediately jumped in to explain how cool the "bullet-proof" T-shirt was... The customer seemed unsure, even after repeated assurances from my buddy. So my friend (I'll call him "Genius") donned the thing, looked for the smallest thing in his display case (said it was a 25ACP), loaded the gun, handed it to the customer and said, "Shoot me!".
The customer hesitated... so Genius adamantly insisted to be shot... the T-shirt was, after all, "bullet-proof".
The customer eventually succumbed to the pressure, and "busted a cap" on my friend.
Genius said that as he went to the floor, he was screaming for someone to call 911.

The customer dropped the firearm and ran out of the shop, never to be seen again.
Genius suffered bruised ribs, and spent a little time on his couch "recuperating". The T-shirt had indeed stopped the little bullet from perforating his torso, but my buddy's concept on how things work was drastically changed.

Needless to say, Genius had no interest in repeating the demonstration for my amusement... I miss the guy. He was unique, in a funny sort of way.

MaryB
08-31-2015, 10:43 PM
Stopped at the local WalMart, asked if they had any 22lr(they sometimes keep it behind the counter and only sell to those who ask). This 19 year old kid reaches under the counter and pulls out a box of 223... I tell her no, 22lr... she told me that they are both 22 and will work in either rifle... yeah I just turned and walked away before I told her what I thought...

waksupi
09-01-2015, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE=M-Tecs;3362360]I had a table at a gun show with a fellow NRA High Power Long Range/ Palma shooter. We were talking about a Palma match (800, 900 and 1,000 yards) we both places well in when this "gentlemen" inserted himself into the conversation. His first question was what power scopes we used? We explained this was an iron sight match. He stated you can't see the target at that far without a scope. He than stated we must be using Nosler Ballistic tips. Next was what caliber? We stated we were using our Palma rifles in 308. He stated BS! a 308 will hit the dirt at 800 yards". I asked him to leave. He stated he knew what he was talking about since he trained with the Navy Seals. He was 28 to 30 years old maybe 5" 10" and close to 400 pounds. I asked him (since he worked with the Seals) how long it took him to learn how to balance the ball on his nose. He said some unkind things about me. I gave him the option of leaving under his own power or to be carried out. He waddled away and complained to the show promoter.[/QUOTE

That reminds me of one at the spring show. He was one of those who go table to table, preaching the Second Amendment and the Constitution. Real in the face about it
After a few minutes, I told him to get the hell away, and if he wanted to preach, to buy his own table for a pulpit, and to get the hell out if the way of my paying customers. I had paid for that space, not him.

fatelk
09-01-2015, 01:39 AM
Best gun show statement I ever heard was all the Argentine Ballester Molina .45 autos were made from the armor plate from the Graf Spee, which was sunk by the British in shallow water off the Uruguay coast.

I thought I remembered an article in the American Rifleman a year or two ago about that: http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/1/30/investigation-of-a-legend-the-graf-spee-and-the-ballester-molina/

They actually did metallurgical tests on a Ballester Molina to investigate that legend.

jonp
09-01-2015, 07:34 AM
I thought I remembered an article in the American Rifleman a year or two ago about that: http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/1/30/investigation-of-a-legend-the-graf-spee-and-the-ballester-molina/

They actually did metallurgical tests on a Ballester Molina to investigate that legend.

That one sounds familiar to me too for some reason

TheDoctor
09-01-2015, 11:18 AM
I was at my local Academy, and was browsing the gun counter. A customer comes up and asks the guy if he could fire 12 gauge slugs out of a modified choke. Guy tells him yes, but a cylinder bore would better. And if he REALLY wanted accuracy, to shoot sabot slugs, since the ribs on a regular slug wouldn't spin the slug enough! I mosied toward the front of the store, and explained to the customer why the accutips he had in his hand would not work in anything less than a fully rifled barrel. Back to the gun counter. I'm browsing over some of the compact 9mm's, looking for something small for when I really can't pack my full size. Guy starts harping at me over the inadequacies of the 9mm (which I sort of agree, though not to him), and declares to me that I'm an idiot if I would consider carrying anything other than a 45. Reason being that a 45 will knock a man DOWN! I stopped myself from explaining the realities of life to that man, and walked off. Some people....

Geezer in NH
09-01-2015, 08:37 PM
And my favorite: if something goes wrong, I'm coming to YOUR HOUSE! Your OPSEC was poor. :bigsmyl2:

Ken in Iowa
09-02-2015, 09:36 AM
In my younger days I was a furnace and AC installer and repairman. As such, I was in lots of different homes and saw guns of all sorts. It made an interesting conversation starter.

The one that really stuck in my mind was a fellow with a 50/70 trapdoor, model 1868 AIRC. He stated that his great grandpa or some such had carried it in the Civil War. I told him that it could not be the Civil War as it ended in 1865 and the rifle was introduced in 1868, and that it was based on recycled parts from Springfield muskets. This explained the 1864 date on the lockplate.

Even in the face of those facts, he still insisted on the truth of his original statement. He finally surmised that pappy's rifle must have been sent to Springfield for upgrade and returned to him.

3leggedturtle
09-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Probably. He says he uses Winchester 123 powder.

That would require 24.39grs of Win 123 powder to get 3000fps!!! :holysheep

Southern Son
09-03-2015, 03:05 AM
That would require 24.39grs of Win 123 powder to get 3000fps!!! :holysheep

Long drop tube?????? Like Really Long.