PDA

View Full Version : Swedish M96 Mauser with green paint on the stock

JeffHolt
03-01-2015, 10:34 PM
I took home a 1911 CG all Matching #'s (un-numbered cleaning rod) with a threaded barrel from the LGS today. On the sides and bottom toward the butt end of the stock it looked like someone rubbed green powery sumthin' into the pores of the wood. I noticed also that it was inside the stock under the receiver end of the barrel when I got it home and took it apart.

I know of the small dots in different colors and the red or white stripes and the green painted butt plates that have had mauser guys guessing, but this just looks like some overspayed paint or sumthing like it that got worked into the wood. Almost looks like it is growing in the pores of the butt stock. I think with some oil soap or maybe just a paint stripper I can restore this otherwise splendid gun. Pretty good bluing could use a little touch up. The dealer had a $425 price tag on it and I said that "green in the wood ain't helping your cause any". He said had no idea what it was but he'd take $350 for it if I wanted it. It followed me home...I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

Multigunner
03-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Had a air conditioner leak in the back room some years back and greenish grey mold began browing on wood and leather that had been protected by paste wax.
It seemed to be only feeding on the wax. everything cleaned up well with balistol.

Could this be a case of mold rather than paint residue?

JeffHolt
03-02-2015, 06:53 AM
MG,
No, there is a whole thread on the green paint issue with some small numbers of these guns. I thought along a similar line like maybe someone tried to overcoat a mold situation with oil or something; . plus inside the stock there was some and it looked like paint or like laser printer toner was spilled or sprayed in a couple of spots.

My theory is that maybe a bunch of these guns were being reassembled after an inspection(for export?) and possibly being marked (for something?). Maybe this stock just got a good dose of overspray when Sven or Helga missed their mark on the Butt plate/gun they intended to paint. There are reports of butt plates being painted with this identical bright green. The reason for it is still unknown.

I think it can be stripped and the stock simply re-oiled. I used to be a painting contractor so.....

leebuilder
03-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Will have to take a look when you get pics.
i have seen this as well, both a mold and a means of grading or marking rifles somewhere?. Seen a few with small stickers with different colours on the butt and near the end of the forestock.

JeffHolt
03-02-2015, 10:27 PM
definitely paint and I was able to remove some of it by rubbing Murphy's oil soap into the wood with a soft cloth. needs a paint stripper though to get into the pores. Don't think these came out to well but here goes:

plainsman456
03-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Might look at denatured alcohol.
It is cheap and found in the paint dept.
Doesn't seem to mess up the stock,at least for me.

JeffHolt
03-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Denatured alcohol is better used when working with shellacs. This appears to be an oil base otherwise I'd try a small can of goof-off (latex paint remover). there are a couple of good commercial stripping agents out there. so I'm going to strip down the entire stock maybe swell out a couple of the minor dings and then decide on what oil to use restore the stock.

leebuilder
03-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Hey JeffHolt, is there and "SA" marks on the rifle?. Seen one Finned M91 that was painted white at one time, used as a type of camo maybe?. I use Easy Off oven cleaner to strip my rifles, works well and not as expencive. And use tung oil to restore the finish.

JeffHolt
03-03-2015, 09:04 AM
LB,
I wish! Haven't seen any SA marks on any of the 3 swedes I currently own. Thanks for the finish tip though I'll give the tung oil a go.