PDA

View Full Version : Pacific dl-266 vs PW 375 duo matic

firebrick43
03-01-2015, 01:14 PM
In building my new bench and moving everything over I thought back over the last 18 years of my reloading journey. Started with a lee loader and a hammer(scaring my wife ever so often popping primers).

On the metallic side I have advanced to a fully decked out dillon 650. Hard to imagine how I did it all those years ago.

On the shotshell side I am still on a pair of mec 600's. While they produce beautiful ammo I hate the pull down handle with a passion. Don't particularly like the was you have to move shells or stuffing wads either.

I don't do high volume ss reloading, just hunting and low recoil loads for cowboy action and petite/young/recoil sensitive shooters that some time accompany me in 12 and 20, maybe 1500 to 2000 a year.

The Dl266 and 375 appeal to me as they both have a side pull towards you handle.

The 375 looks easy to change over, how hard is the 266. It would only happen 1 or 2 times a year and I would like to avoid having 2 separate presses.

Any other advantages that one or the other have?

newrib
03-01-2015, 01:47 PM
I don't know anything about the Pacific, however I have had the same PW-375 for over 45 years and it still works great. Mine was a gift from my father and it started life as a 12ga with which we loaded all our trap and duck shells, sure its a slow machine but it makes a great shell (and my fathers wisdom kept me off the streets, if I did not load ammo we wernt going shooting). The press was changed to 20ga and 410 about 10 years ago, once set up properly it only takes a few moments to switch gauges and even less time to change loads for the same gauge. The PW-375 was built for a lifetime of service and is easy to use. For the last 10 years my press for trap loads is the MEC 9000H but that old PW will always be on the loading bench at the ready. Whatever you choose try to have as much fun with it as I have with mine !

hornetman
03-01-2015, 04:30 PM
I've had a P-W 375 with conversions for 12, 16, 20, 28 and 410 since 1975. It's a snap to change gauges, it stays in adjustment, loads perfect shells and never breaks. If you have limited space and/or move often you can't beat it. I've since bought five of the P-W 800's and another 375 that all stay set for a specific load, MY original 375 is still my go to press for experimenting or a small batch of an odd lot. If I could have only one press it would be a 375.

jsizemore
03-01-2015, 06:18 PM
How easy is it to get parts for the Pacific?

Skunk1
03-01-2015, 07:33 PM
How easy is it to get parts for the Pacific?

They are all over ebay. Pacific, hornady and Bair are all about the same machine. I have a couple junk Pacifics for parts and a whole draw full of other stuff. Never know when I or someone else may need something.

seagiant
03-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Hi,
I have/had both machines. They are probably the best two "single stage" loaders ever made.

If you want to load more than one gauge shell the PW is the way to go!

tonyjones
03-01-2015, 10:37 PM
You can buy a PW 375C with 12 and 20 gage tooling factory installed and adjusted on the same tool head. TJ

wv109323
03-01-2015, 11:56 PM
One toolhead for the PW 375 will hold 2 gauges. You then need to change out a few other things to complete the gauge conversion. I have had a 375 for 40 years or so. I don't use it a lot but I have only had to replace one part in that time. The threads in the base for the arm that holds the wad funnel stripped out. It is aluminum and has a fine thread.

MaryB
03-02-2015, 12:27 AM
I need to figure out which shot and powder bushing I should get for my Pacific DL-366 I inherited from dad. He loaded Red Dot only and the same 5 shot load for everything. I would have to pull the bushings to check numbers but I think it is 7/8 or 1oz shot. Load works fine but more flexibility would be nice. i want to load slugs for deer after I get a mold so I know I need a different powder bushing.

firebrick43
03-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Does anyone have width measurement of the base for the 375 and 266!
thanks

seagiant
03-02-2015, 07:05 PM
I need to figure out which shot and powder bushing I should get for my Pacific DL-366 I inherited from dad. He loaded Red Dot only and the same 5 shot load for everything. I would have to pull the bushings to check numbers but I think it is 7/8 or 1oz shot. Load works fine but more flexibility would be nice. i want to load slugs for deer after I get a mold so I know I need a different powder bushing.

Hi.
I would suggest just getting a Pacific 266 to load slugs,balls or buckshot!

Those are a lot easier on a single stage press and the 266 gets the nod for it's easy to use wide open front access!

A VERY user friendly press!

hornetman
03-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Base of the 375 is 6 1/2" wide by 5 1/2" deep. Can't help you on the 266.

firebrick43
03-03-2015, 02:41 AM
Thankyou everyone. Looks like I will be on the hunt for a 375

W.R.Buchanan
03-03-2015, 04:30 AM
Yes the DL 266 is best left in one ga. I have a 12 ga one and a .410. It would take way too long to change them back and forth. Also the DL266 has a larger footprint than the PW.

However the DL266 allows you to run the machine with either hand, and I run with my left handed and move the hull with my right as it is easier to do it that way.

It is also easier and faster to only size and deprime hulls with this machine before washing them and then you are loading clean hulls, or you can feed a progressive with clean hulls.

Also if you want to load slugs or specialty loads the 266 would be easier to use as each station is independent and located directly in front of you so you can easily watch what is going on.

I do Round ball loads on mine with no change other than removing the shot from that hopper so I can dispense powder more easily and not drop shot too.

Randy

r1kk1
03-04-2015, 09:19 PM
I really like the 375. Each head can hold two gauges, they work well with paper hulls, even unconventional length hulls work well.

I also own the metallic version of this press.

take care

r1kk1

sukivel
03-12-2015, 03:07 AM
I love my 375. The crimp dies and full length sizer are awesome.

Greetings r1kk1!

r1kk1
03-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Back at ya sukivel!

take care

r1kk1

Bullwolf
03-12-2015, 11:54 PM

I was surprised to find out my local fun shop had lots of different bushings behind the counter, including the exact MEC ones I was interested in. So a while back I picked up quite a few different bushings for my Mec 600 JR so I could have some powder charge variation options.

Still, my shotgun press almost always has the same bushing installed for a light trap breaking load of 18 grains of Red Dot, and an ounce and ⅛ of shot.

My older Lyman Shotshell Handbook #3, has a MEC Powder bushing chart in the back of the manual. It also shows the Hornady (Pacific 105, 155, 266, and 366 Auto), Lee Load-All, Lyman, Ponsness/Waren and Texan powder bushing tables.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vKKteUF3L._AC_SX75_CR,0,0,75,75_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Shotshell-Handbook-Kenneth-Editor-Ramage/dp/B000F3HOWO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426216610&sr=8-2&keywords=Lyman+shotshell+handbook

What I like to do when loading either buckshot or Lyman slug's on the press is use a Lee powder scoop, or a dipper instead of using the powder/shot bushing bar. I level the scoop off with a business card, and then check the weight on my balance beam scale, I find it surprisingly consistent and quite repeatable.

It doesn't slow me down much. I think it's easier to use a Lee scoop than change the bushing out just for a powder charge, and take the shot bottle off the press. Buckshot and slugs won't meter through the shot/powder charge bar anyways.

While not familiar with the Pacific press, I would be happy to look up a specific bushing/charge number for you, assuming the Pacific 266 or 366 Auto bushing chart in the Lyman third shot shell handbook is relevant to your press.

- Bullwolf

firebrick43
03-13-2015, 01:51 AM
I recieved a 375C(w/12 and 20 dies) yesterday. My enthusiasm was doused when upon opening it was found to have shipping damage. The base casting had a corner bent/cracked. The seller was a stand up guy and a base casting is on it's way from ponsness warren. They were great to deal with as well!

Will report when it's back together!

Thank you for every ones replies!

MaryB
03-13-2015, 02:58 AM
I have the chart, and for trap that load my dad used is fine for my nephews to run a bunch of rounds when they visit. Just wondered what was common.

firebrick43
03-21-2015, 04:20 PM

Well i got the new base casting on this morning. Mounted to my new bench plate.

Loaded up up a couple of feather light loads for cowboy action and I love it!

Time to find a new home for the mec's

thank you for everyone's advice!