PDA

View Full Version : Catalin/John Wayne pistols grips

Char-Gar
03-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Last year their was a thread about the yellow grips that John Wayne had on his Colt SSA. There were made from Catalin. When I was a kid these were pretty common. I had a pair for the S &W N frame, but I thought they were gone. Yesterday, I found a box of pistol grips that I had not seen in 10 years and there they were. I am selling the other grips on Ebay, but can not bring myself to part with these. I think they have found a home on one of my vintage Smith and Wessons.

9.3X62AL
03-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Thank you for a teachable moment, Char-Gar. Before today's post, I had no exposure to catalin or its origins. Some Google-fu filled in the gaps, to include info on how the substance's initial white coloration was prone to yellow discoloration over time, citing John Wayne's SAA grips of this substance having colored in this manner.

Char-Gar
03-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Al, this pair came on a 1947 vintage Smith and Wesson Heavy Duty 38/44 I bought in a hock shop in the late 1980s. It has an badly pealing nickle finish. I had the nickle striped and blued the handgun and just put these grips away to be lost, until I found them yesterday. Here is the pistol that was their original home. The poor thing looked so bad I got it for $125.00. In it's second life as a blue pistol, it has proven to a fine vintage sixgun.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-02-2015, 10:40 AM
I was involved in the post last year on Catlin grips. American Rifleman had a thorough write up on John Wayne's last movie gun and they said it had Catlin grips. I couldn't find anything on Catlin grips on the internet. As my memory serves me, Cast Boolits members posted Catlin grips were not uncommon and not expensive. The American Rifleman article said John Wayne stained his Catlin grips with tea.

The American Rifleman article was very thorough however I cannot find the issue at home. They said the gun had a Bisley trigger guard cut and welded to a standard SAA trigger guard to allow the actor to spin the pistol with his large hands while wearing gloves. The article also said the gun was a combination of many different serial numbered parts.

bhn22
03-02-2015, 11:07 AM
I'm betting that Charles gun room has to look like King Tuts tomb for handgunners. Treasure everywhere!

Beerd
03-02-2015, 11:52 AM
I had to look it up.
Catalin is the same as Bakelite, only different.
Ya learn something new every day.

Char-Gar
03-02-2015, 12:01 PM
I had to look it up.
Catalin is the same as Bakelite, only different.
Ya learn something new every day.

Before plastic came on the scene during the 30s, 40, and into the early 50's many products were made from Bakelite and Catalin. They were very similar products with the same company holding the patents. Catalin had the advantage of being clear and could have any color added even a marble texture. If you want to do something interesting, look up Catalin on Ebay, particularly Catalin radios.

I don't know how common these grips are, but I have not seen a set for sale in a very long time, but I am not hunting for them either. For me they are just a blast from the past that take me back to the time as a kid, when I ogeled the holsters of every law officers that passed my way.

Sheriff
03-03-2015, 11:48 AM
They were fairly common....

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/CrittrCallr/003-2.jpg (http://s215.photobucket.com/user/CrittrCallr/media/003-2.jpg.html)

...not so much anymore.

GLL
03-05-2015, 12:48 AM
Charles:
The post-war long-action ("transitional") .38/44s are my very favorite revolvers and it is good to see yours was rescued and given a new life . It looks great !
Although I accumulate the 6.5 " Outdoorsman target version I never pass up a nice 4" Heavy Duty.

http://www.fototime.com/DC04DA3B65C43A0/orig.jpg
Don Collins magnas/Yavno photo

The gun in the original photos of the Catalin grips appears to be a beautiful old 1917 .45 from the 1937 Brazilian contract. Very nice pair of old N-frames !

Jerry

Char-Gar
03-05-2015, 11:53 AM
GLL.. Indeed the handgun with the Catalin grips is a Brazilian Navy SMith and Wesson, from the 2nd. contract of 25,000 units. The first 25,000 was delivered before WWII and were all new production. These are the ones with the numbers on the backstrap (1 - 25,000). The post was contract was filled with handguns that used up all the 1917 pasts, plus new parts where needed.

My pistol has a 1917 frame and barrel. The yoke is later production and I don't know about the cylinder as there were no differences. This pistol was in good shape with no pits on it and I sent it to Smith and Wesson for a reblue. They didn't want to do it, but a few phone calls with the shop manager and they saw it my way. Taking "no" for an answer, is seldom the way to do things. Anyway, no body reblues a Smith and Wesson, like Smith and Wesson. They have all the right skilled people, polishing wheels and stamps to turn it out as good as new.

rintinglen
03-05-2015, 01:43 PM
There was a Bank Guard near my home who had a similar set of grips on his revolver back around 1960-1962. Thanks for the trip back in time, Char-gar.

GLL
03-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Taking "no" for an answer, is seldom the way to do things.

Very true ! :) :)

Jerry