PDA

View Full Version : Separarated fired shell casing fix in SKS.

koger
03-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Had a neighbor come by yesterday, had been shooting a SKS, great condition, when a shell casing separated just below the shoulder, leaving roughly half the case in the chamber. I did not have a extractor for this caliber, so I squirted some Kroil oil in around the casing, then took a brush an cleaning patch, dried out the inside of the casing still in the chamber. I then took an old beat up bronze .50 brush, screwed on the rod, and crammed it as far as I could into the stuck casing. Gave it a twist, and pulled it right out!
I have fixed this problem several times over the past 20 years, always 2 culprits to blame. Either junk Chinese ammo, as in this case, or dirty chambers that the case swells around. Just thought I would share.

OuchHot!
03-01-2015, 02:45 PM
I have one of these rifles and shot quite a lot of the import steel cased ammo. I found that I would get a build up of the lacquer from the case in the chamber. Some heavy duty brushing (can't recall but might have been a .410 shotgun brush) eliminated this problem. Glad you got the case out!

LAGS
03-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Filling the chamber and broken off part if the case with Cerosafe chamber casting material works to remove a broken shell casing.
Just plug the front of the chamber with a small patch, cast the chamber almost all the way to the back of the barrel.
When the cerosafe cools, drive out the plug from the muzzle end with a brass rod.