PDA

View Full Version : What Remington gun/guns were these buttplates used on

quack1
03-01-2015, 09:44 AM
I've handled a lot of old guns but can't remember having seen these styles of plates before. I have even looked at gunshows and still haven't come across them. I'm guessing the slight variation was to possibly separate rifle from shotgun? They have a slight curve to them and appear to be made of hard rubber.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/1quack1/IMG_0071.jpg

JSnover
03-01-2015, 10:03 AM
I've seen that style on guns made in the 30s. Some were fully checked, others had the border like yours.

Tom Myers
03-01-2015, 12:22 PM
I've handled a lot of old guns but can't remember having seen these styles of plates before. I have even looked at gunshows and still haven't come across them. I'm guessing the slight variation was to possibly separate rifle from shotgun? They have a slight curve to them and appear to be made of hard rubber.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/1quack1/IMG_0071.jpg

The image on the left is identical to the butt-plate on the Remington Model 10 A 12 guage pump shotgun that I inherited from my father.

If I remember correctly, when researching the available information on this gun, that butt plates similar to the one on the right were for other models of Remington shotguns.

Image from Precision Firearm and Load Records (http://tmtpages.com/New_Prec_BR/PrecRec/Prec_Rec-Bas.htm)software
http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/Remington%20Model%2010/Remington-Model10-Record.png

This old shotgun has consistently and reliably put more food on the table from the time my dad homesteaded in the Nebraska Sandhills sometime in the 1920s than all the other combined firearms we have owned and used during those lean years right on up to the present.

The Remington Model 10 A with it's bottom feed, bottom eject feature is distinctive in the ability to fire when the trigger is held back and the slide is closed, chambering a new round. I can remember my Father walking up on a haystack where the grouse would congregate in the fall of the year. Grouse, at that time, were not much afraid of anything on two legs and would not fly until a person was about 30 to 40 yards distant. Dad would hold the Remington at his hip with the trigger held back and, when the birds flew, he would start pumping the slide. Each time a new round would chamber, the shotgun would fire an one or two birds would fall.

These are the stats that I have managed to acquire pertaining to the production numbers of this particular Remington shotgun.

Manufactured, cirra 1907 - 192
Description: Remington's first pump-action six-shot repeating shotgun
Introduction Year: 1908
Year Discontinued: 1929
Total Production: Approximately 275,600
Designer/Inventor: John D. Pederson with improvements by C.C. Loomis and R. Barger
Action Type: Pump action repeater
Caliber/Gauge: 12 gauge
Serial Number Blocks: 001 275,600 Serial numbers were preceded by the letter "U"

Grades Offered:
No. 1 or 10 A - Standard or Field Grade
No. 2 or 10 B - Special Grade
No. 3 or 10 C - Trap Grade No. 3 Trap Special Grade
No. 4 or 10 D - Tournament Grade
No. 5 or 10 E - Expert Grade
No. 6 or 10 F - Premier Grade No. 0 Riot Grade

Variations:
Model 10 Trench Shotgun (World War 1)
Model 10 T Target Grade which included grades D, E, and F as described above

Hope this helps.

quack1
03-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Thank you, I was figuring they were probably on guns like the model 10,17,29,31 etc.. I checked at the last couple of gun shows I attended, but the few samples of Remington guns from that era all had been fitted with recoil pads. I thought that maybe the slightly slimmer and shorter one might have been from a rifle, but other shotgun models, other than model 10, is more likely.
A buddy got a large box of buttplates at an estate sale and had asked me if I could ID them as to what gun they went with. I figured them all out, except for these two. It's been 30 years since I worked in the bluing shop, where I mostly took guns apart and put them together, and I'm forgetting a lot of what I learned.