PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mag 20 or Lee 20 lb bottom pour?

Just Duke
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I am pondering wether to go with the Lyman bottom pour 20 lb-er or I can get 2 of the Lee 20 lb bottom pour for the same price plus have some extra jingle.
I am really leaning toward the Lee. What do you guys use?
TIA,
Duke

fourarmed
03-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I use both, and if you aren't bothered by that nagging drip, drip, drip from the Lee, it casts bullets just as good and just as fast. In fact, you can look at the drip as an automatic ready-to-cast signal. Just be sure to get the one with the larger clearance underneath.

imashooter2
03-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm sure the Lyman is very nice. I just couldn't part with the money. I use a Lee.

I guess I have the only one ever made that doesn't drip.

mold maker
03-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I have both. The Lyman is a much higher priced drip. It also freezes up at the bottom and requires a torch to restart. The difference in price will buy lots of powder and primers, or molds,

VTDW
03-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm sure the Lyman is very nice. I just couldn't part with the money. I use a Lee.

Mine only drips while the pot is heating up. Once the mix is molten it stops.:drinks:

Dave

Marshal Kane
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
. . . The Lyman is a much higher priced drip. It also freezes up at the bottom and requires a torch to restart. The difference in price will buy lots of powder and primers, or molds,
That's what straightened paper clips are for. My Mag 20 bottom pour unfreezes when I stick a paper clip up the spout. IME, it's caused by slag accumulating in the bottom of the pot that won't float when I flux. My Mag 20 is five years old and I sure hope it will outlast a Lee Production Pot. Don't get me wrong, the Lee is a lot for the money but I ran across my slightly used Lyman on eBay at a good price. Just my "opinion" as Scrounger would say but then so are all our replies.

Marshal Kane
03-04-2008, 02:09 PM
. . . I am relly leaning toward the Lee. What do you guys use?
TIA,
Duke
It's hard to pass up the 20 pound Lee bottom pour Production Pot with the 4" mould clearance when you compare prices. The Lee is a good pot and is undoubtedly the best value for the price. If you're looking for something with a longer lifespan, and lifespan varies depending on how often you use it, the higher priced Lyman deserves some consideration. I had no problems with buying a used pot in good condition so I went with the Lyman Mag 20 bottom pour which I found on eBay. The one I got still looked brand new and I could afford the price difference. Would suggest you not only lean towards the Lee but go buy it. After ten years or so, reevaluate it's performance to see if you want to make a change then. Just my "opinion" as Scrounger would say but then so are all our replies.

94Doug
03-04-2008, 02:11 PM
...But if you start leaning towards the Lyman, jump up to the RCBS ProMelt. You won't be sorry. Is the one still for sale here? Good chance to get a pot, and help the cause.

Marshal Kane
03-04-2008, 02:19 PM
...But if you start leaning towards the Lyman, jump up to the RCBS ProMelt. . .
Have one of those too! Two more pounds of capacity and an excellent choice albeit a bit more pricey than the Lyman. As Mr. Rolls once said, "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten." or words to that effect. Just my "opinion" as Scrounger would say but then so are all our replies.

Lloyd Smale
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
buy a lyman or rcbs you wont regret it. Like marshal said. You only pay once and if you spread the cost over the lifetime of the pot and buy a couple lees in the same time and factor in the fact its alot more user friendly there is no real choise other then feeding your kids. Heck even then all you have to do is sell a few boxes of bullets to your freinds and its paid for.

kawalekm
03-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Duke
I started out with a use Lyman 10lb pot that I used forever, but it eventially died. I went out and bought the Lee 20 lb pot as a replacement because it was cheaper. I think it is junk! So, I saved up and bought a new Lyman Pro20 in 2007. I don't even bother looking to see where the Lee pot is anymore.
Michael

dromia
03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
I have a Lee and an RCBS, if was to by another pot it wouldn't be the Lee.

To me the extra is well worth the usability, better ergonomics and lack if irritating niggles, like the drip on the Lee.

If your really strapped for dosh then the Lee will do and you'll cast good boolits with it, just with more aggravation and chew, it is what it is, a cheap pot.

jlchucker
03-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I have a 10 lb lee pot and a 20 pounder. Neither drip if I keep the lead clean. If you get a drip it can be easily stopped by putting a screw driver into the slot on the lifting rod and turning it back and forth a couple of times. this normally will dislodge the piece of grit that is stopping the lifting rod end from completely closing the pour hole at the bottom of the pot. Foreign objects in the lead is the usual cost of that drip. The biggest Lee pot is about 4 times cheaper than the comparable Lyman or RCBS pots, and works just as well once you learn how to use it.

Just Duke
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I had the 10 lb Lee pot I bought from some guys widow that crashed his plane in 1977. I used it for 1 year and bought a second one to run to keep up with my casting rate. I sold them both and bought a Lee 20 pounder in 1989 and ran that until 2004 when I quite casting. The Lee 20 pounder worked much better than 10 pounder. Looks like I am going to have to regretably go back to the Lee 20 pounder and run two at a time to keep up with the 450 and 500 grain bullets that I will be casting.
I sure wish someone would come up with a 30 to 40 pound bottom pour pot that is affordable.

45nut
03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
waage.com they make a 40 lb pot that is 6 in around and 6 in deep sells for 455.00 MP40A-6-1

WAAGE Electric, Inc.
Call us today at 1-800-922-4365 to find the
WAAGE location or Distributor Nearest you!

WAAGE Electric, Inc.
Global Headquarters
720 Colfax Ave, PO Box 337
Kenilworth NJ 07033-0337
Telephone: (908) 245-9363
Fax: (908) 245-8477

HeavyMetal
03-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Duke:
The real question that should be asked is what type mold are you planning to use?

Let me give you some senerio's:
1. Your a BPCR shooter making bullets bigger than a democrats IQ! Because of the size of the boolit it's a single cavity mold with this it's one at a time and bottom pour has no advantage with this type of casting.

2. Your a master blastin animal IPSC shooter with a pair of 10 bangers H&G 68's left to you by your late uncle! (He was a great guy) Your needs are 6000 rounds a month!

For this you will need as big a bottom pour pot as you can find. Don't try using these babies with a ladle, with lead in it you won't be able to pick it up!

Seroiusly pick your pot based on the type, and amount, of shooting your planning on.

Hope this helps!

Just Duke
03-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Duke:
The real question that should be asked is what type mold are you planning to use?

Let me give you some senerio's:
1. Your a BPCR shooter making bullets bigger than a democrats IQ! Because of the size of the boolit it's a single cavity mold with this it's one at a time and bottom pour has no advantage with this type of casting.

2. Your a master blastin animal IPSC shooter with a pair of 10 bangers H&G 68's left to you by your late uncle! (He was a great guy) Your needs are 6000 rounds a month!

For this you will need as big a bottom pour pot as you can find. Don't try using these babies with a ladle, with lead in it you won't be able to pick it up!

Seroiusly pick your pot based on the type, and amount, of shooting your planning on.

Hope this helps!

I am going to be casting for the wife and I CowboyAction Shooting 45 Long Colt so yes I will need a big pot.

Just Duke
03-04-2008, 11:14 PM
waage.com they make a 40 lb pot that is 6 in around and 6 in deep sells for 455.00 MP40A-6-1

WAAGE Electric, Inc.
Call us today at 1-800-922-4365 to find the
WAAGE location or Distributor Nearest you!

WAAGE Electric, Inc.
Global Headquarters
720 Colfax Ave, PO Box 337
Kenilworth NJ 07033-0337
Telephone: (908) 245-9363
Fax: (908) 245-8477

I have gone to that site on a couple occasions but did not see a bottom pour 40 lb. pot 45nut.

Just Duke
03-05-2008, 05:24 AM
Guess Il'l order 2 20 pound Lee's tomorow
Thanks for the help all.

milltownhunter
03-06-2008, 09:01 AM
do all lee pot drip all the time or is just mine

afish4570
03-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Lee Pot Drip.....Screwdriver slot is to be used 1st. If this doesn't stop drip I use a copper wire or wooden toothpick help in a pair of pliers. This will increase the flow too as there is a buildup of slag & dirtbuggering up the valve seat. Careful not to mess things up using a metal harder than valve seat. Occasionally cleaning the last lead and slag accumulated in pot by scrapping things down before refilling dumping into an ingot mold (or whatever) and start over again. I like to do this after I am on my last pot of the day. Clean start for next time.afish4570

Hipshot
03-08-2008, 08:30 PM
No matter which pot you decide on, having two pots speeds up production-------work off 1 pot while the other pot is getting up to temp!
As far as the drip----the screwdriver trick works but also drain your pot on occasion and do the paper clip trick also.

Hip

hawkeye1
03-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I have a Lee 10 pound pot and it works great. I wanted the RCBS 20 pounder but couldnt bring my self to spend that kind of money when the Lee works just as well.
I would buy the two Lee 20 pounders and never look back.

good shooting, or casting

Frank V
03-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I have an old SAECO that I have had for 30 years. I have found that although the bottom pour is handy, I get much more consistant bullets using the dipper. By consistant I mean the bullets have less variation in weight as well as diameter. Does anyone else find this too? Frank

DLCTEX
03-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I've been using the vise grips clamped to the plunger rod trick that someone suggested here(Buckshot?) and it eliminated 80% of my drips. DALE

jackley
03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I have both Lyman doesn't drip but freezes up from time to time and the Lee drips every now and then. Get the Lee
Jerry

Just Duke
03-17-2008, 08:14 PM
I just noticed the front page. Mods can you move this thread to the appropriated board. Sorry.
TIA
Duke

TexasJeff
04-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I bought the Lee Pro IV-20.

Zero problems, easy to use, heats FAST, excellent temperature range.

For the price versus what you get, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat and not even think about it.

Jeff

ed etheridge
04-22-2008, 03:01 PM
i started with the lee pot years ago, at some point decided to up grade to the lyman like both pots i prefer the lyman but really can't fault the lee

carpetman
04-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Started with Lee pot. Ever try Columbian?

Just Duke
04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
The 2 Lee 20 pounders arrived last week. Not much wow or cool factor. Looks like the Tin Man's chalis. <yawn>

imashooter2
04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
You're right about that. No bling to 'em at all. The beauty is in the cost/benefit ratio.

yodar
05-03-2008, 07:49 PM

I had the 10 lb lee bottom pour, it doesnt drip either cause I am very careful that my alloy is really clean, and after I sent my BATF 03 license copy to Midway, I got the Lee 20lb pot for what I paid Midway for the ten pounder when I had no C & R

Lee sent me a special dealer catalog

It's a good pot, and a C & R helps lower your costs at many suppliers

yodar

quasi
05-04-2008, 12:34 PM
the Lee 20 lb'ers are the best value for the money for sure. If I hadn't found a deal on a used RCBS, the Lee was the clear choice for me. I have mounted my 10 lb lee over my Rcbs pot as a feeder pot, ala member Robert Bank.

I started off years ag with a Saeco 10 lb, it had quite a few issues over the years, finally chucked it.

Sprue
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
If you're gonna spend that much jingle on a Lyman go ahead and go for the RCBS Pro Melt. It'll be around as long as your dillons, with nearly the same warranty:!:

Adk Mike
02-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I've got a 20lb Lee it works great. Mine does not drip at all. I really wanted a Lyman or RCBS but this Lee is all I need Great Buy. Mike

dromia
02-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Your Lee doesn't drip?

Better send it back its obviously faulty. :-D

Lloyd Smale
02-28-2009, 08:20 AM
that would be my best advice. I would guess that about 3/4s of the guys bragging on the lees have never tried a lyman or rcbs. there night and day better pots. Id no sooner go back to a lee then i would go back to ladle casting. Duke you have allways impressed me as a guy that goes top shelf. I never saw anyone buy so many dillons at one time!! Why cheapen out now. YOu must know by now in this game you get what you pay for. Its no differnt with buying cheap molds. The lee molds make bullets but once you cast with something like a ballistic cast or h&g you see that there money well spent.
If you're gonna spend that much jingle on a Lyman go ahead and go for the RCBS Pro Melt. It'll be around as long as your dillons, with nearly the same warranty:!:

Jon K
02-28-2009, 10:40 AM
that would be my best advice. I would guess that about 3/4s of the guys bragging on the lees have never tried a lyman or rcbs. there night and day better pots. Id no sooner go back to a lee then i would go back to ladle casting. Duke you have allways impressed me as a guy that goes top shelf. I never saw anyone buy so many dillons at one time!! Why cheapen out now. YOu must know by now in this game you get what you pay for. Its no differnt with buying cheap molds. The lee molds make bullets but once you cast with something like a ballistic cast or h&g you see that there money well spent.

Gotta agree with Lloyd about Lee, but ladle pour.............I still ladle pour my BP Boolits, I tried bottom pour, but found the ladle was nicer and more consistant. I know some only bottom pour, but this is my opinion.

Lloyd, Duke's post is an old one, check it out he's switched over to RCBS Pro Melt.

Jon

zampilot
02-28-2009, 11:56 AM
When it was time to s*&% or get off the pot I bought the Lee 4-20, even though I was set on a non-bottom pour. It drips once in a while but that's no biggie at all, and the bottom pour is nice to use for ingots. I ladle for my boolits.

TAWILDCATT
02-28-2009, 12:17 PM
if it was not for Lee most casters and loaders would not be here,you can bitch and crab about lee but their products are afordable.and I have had Lyman pots,I have a saeco the therm is gone.the lee works fine so does the potter. .do you really think that the cost diffence is there.I have seen the new pots interia and its air space.who makes the Lyman ands RCBS??lets see my Lee is 20yrs? old.my saeco is older.and saeco and lyman were the same.when redding bought saeco both pots went.

Cowboy5780
02-28-2009, 03:15 PM
I bought the lee Pro 4 20 i cussed fusssed aand raised cain the first time i used it, i couldnt get it to stop leaking . Then i figured out how to adjust it proper and it works perfect i leave a ingot mold under it in case it drips but ill bet during a 3 hr casting session the other day it only dripped a teaspoonful

mold maker
02-28-2009, 05:15 PM

I have an old Saeco, A Lyman, and now 2 LEEs. They all drip if you allow trash to get in the spout. The Lyman spout freezes up, when casting at lower temps. The Saeco thermostat and cord attachment burned up.
Now let me see, Lyman is $235, Lee is under $60.
I can get 2 LEEs and $115. worth of molds, brass, lead, gas checks, powder, and primers, or have a Lyman with Bling.
The LEEs make just as many, and just as good bullets. If I want expensive equipment, I'll spend more on a nicer weapon, not my casting pot.

high standard 40
02-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I have a Lee Pro 4 20 that I purchased earlier this year. I have had two occasions when it leaked a little. A turn of the screw and it quickly stopped. I too keep an ingot mold under mine but it catches far more that I spill from an over-fill of my molds than it ever did from drips. I'm spending the money I saved on the furnace to buy more molds.

big boar
02-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I have a Lee 10 pounder, bought used more than 30 years ago, poured mutitudes of bullets and it still works. I stopped bottom pour years ago as I found the ladle FAR better. Bought a Lee 20 pounder about 15 years ago and poured mega bullets with it as well. I'd like to just try a Lyman or RCBS but the cost is way to steep.

redbear705
03-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Well folks we all in this together!

Use one pot to melt your lead and an other to cast.

This keeps the crap out of the casting pot and you can cast full speed!

With minimal drips.

Casting is like anything else we do in this life...we do the best we can with what we have....and if you dont have alot of money to fun your hobby then that is what we do(use):)

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2009, 08:46 AM
yup and you can get a 3 lee pro 1000s for the price of one dillon. whats that get you? about 50 lbs of scrap pot metal. You can get 10 lee molds for the price of one ballistic cast but i wouldnt trade one of mine for 50 lee molds. Its no different then going out and buying a new drill. Are you going to buy a black and decker or a milwaukee. If your going to drill two holes a year the milwaukee is fine but if your really going to use a tool you buy the best you can afford and only do it once and its last and works much better then a cheap one. Ive got a pile of money wrapped up in loading and casting equiptment and ive learned one lesson, the same lesson ive learned about just about everything. theres no free ride. You get what you pay for
I have an old Saeco, A Lyman, and now 2 LEEs. They all drip if you allow trash to get in the spout. The Lyman spout freezes up, when casting at lower temps. The Saeco thermostat and cord attachment burned up.
Now let me see, Lyman is $235, Lee is under $60.
I can get 2 LEEs and $115. worth of molds, brass, lead, gas checks, powder, and primers, or have a Lyman with Bling.
The LEEs make just as many, and just as good bullets. If I want expensive equipment, I'll spend more on a nicer weapon, not my casting pot.

Patrick L
03-01-2009, 09:13 AM
I have to agree with mold maker. While you generally get whatyou pay for, there are exceptions. There is NO WAY the RCBS is 4 time the pot the Lee is (and I really like RCBS products.) If the price difference was, say, $50 or so, I'd say definitely go with the better product, but not when the difference is 4 times the price.

My little 10 pound Lee was still plugging along great after about 17 years when I replaced it, and I only did so because I wanted a bigger pot. Yes it dripped a bit, but it was no big deal. I got a Lee 20 pounder about 4 years ago. Yes it drips a bit. My Lee 10 pounder was carefully put away, and I resurrected it last year to use as the feed pot for the 20 pounder in the casting cabinet I built.

dromia
03-01-2009, 10:38 AM
yup and you can get a 3 lee pro 1000s for the price of one dillon. whats that get you? about 50 lbs of scrap pot metal. You can get 10 lee molds for the price of one ballistic cast but i wouldnt trade one of mine for 50 lee molds. Its no different then going out and buying a new drill. Are you going to buy a black and decker or a milwaukee. If your going to drill two holes a year the milwaukee is fine but if your really going to use a tool you buy the best you can afford and only do it once and its last and works much better then a cheap one. Ive got a pile of money wrapped up in loading and casting equiptment and ive learned one lesson, the same lesson ive learned about just about everything. theres no free ride. You get what you pay for

Lloyd I concurr absolutely along with added pleasure you get from using fine tools rather than the bother you get from fighting not quiet right ones.

zampilot
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
"i couldnt get it to stop leaking . Then i figured out how to adjust it proper and it works perfect"

Cowboy, that's when I decided to read the instructions, not that I was lost or anything!!

Recluse
03-01-2009, 03:34 PM

Hmmm. I've got over 100,000 rounds of wheelgun ammo through my poor old Pro1000 and four state LE championship trophies helped in part by the ammo that cheap Lee produced over twenty-something years ago.

I have about a fifth of that amount produced by my 550B, and whenever I need to change a caliber on that Dillon, it costs me four times as much as with other brands. Is the Dillon built well? Yes. Is it's engineering worth what they charge for it? Not EVEN close. No BS warranty? Yep--and you pay for it in advance when you buy the Dillon stuff.

I like Dillon, I just don't like the air of smug, false supremacy and superiority many Dillon owners project. The Hornady LnL stuff gives you just as good of value for less money and in some cases, more utility. Dillon's shotshell loader? You couldn't give me one. I'll take the MECs all day long.

Drills? B&D versus Makita or Dewault or Milwaukee? Good analogy up to a point. But where I see a lot of tools fail is with abuse. I prefer to take care of my tools. I find that when I take care of them and use them as they were intended to be used and manage my expectations with them, then I generally always get what I pay for.

I like my RCBS pot. I also like my Lee pot. But what the hell would I know about quality since I own a Cessna aircraft and I hear the same Dillon-like arguments from the Beechcraft owners. Difference is, I do a hell of lot more flying in my Cessna because it's more affordable to do so. Too many Beech owners--especially when avgas shot up to $6/gallon--had to do their flying in the hangar.

My parts, when I need them cost about a fourth what Beechcraft parts cost. My annual, likewise. That gives me a whole lot more money for actually flying and flying more.

I can buy two Lee moulds for the price of one RCBS (of which I have a number). If I prep the moulds correctly, use them as they were intended, don't abuse them, I get very good boolits. I have yet to wear one out. Period.

All things are not created equal, no doubt. Neither are all things created equal in value. I've done well for myself financially by following one simple rule on all purchases--be they cars, houses, clothes, guns, airplanes, groceries or whatever.

"Get as much quality as I possibly can for as little dollar amount comparable to the product as possible."

:coffee:

Jon K
03-02-2009, 05:09 AM
I haven't seen or heard anyone mention temperature control, that's more important to me than any drips, and if you save a buck, but can't get constant temps, how consistant can your boolits be? I'd rather stand over a hot gas burner casting, than not be able to control temp.
I guess it doesn't count if you're only going for volume produced and volume sent down range.

Jon

Lloyd Smale
03-02-2009, 08:18 AM
didnt say they couldnt make good ammo. Ive owned them and have used them myself. My point is i spent as much time tweaking that thing as i did loading. Is the dillon worth 4 times what the lee is? is the rcbs worth 4 times what the lee is? In my opinion YUP! the first time you stand behind that dillon and crank out a 1000 rounds with not one burp you will think so too. The pot is a bit harder to differnciate between. I cant say you can make bettter bullet with the rcbs but theres just a feel to it that those lees dont have. It feels like quality. It if taken care of doesnt leak. It recovers when you add a lb of lead to it much faster. dont get me wrong im no dillons snob. Ive got presses from about every maunfacture set up and am about to order a lock and load to load .223s exclusively on. Ive ran them enought to know there a good press too and with the deal they have i can get a 1000 .30 cal interlocks free and thats a big savings and will feed my ar10. It like was said is also cheaper then going to the 650 even without the bullets. Will i regret it? I dont know. I know that if it doesnt work id be the first to admit i screwed up. I wont justitfy crap equiptment to make myself feel good about buying it or saving a few bucks. Like i said im far from a dillon snob. I will tell you flat out that ive loaded well into the millions of rounds on them. A couple of my square deals were bought from a buddy used when he went to 650s exclusivley. This guy shoots more then the rest of us combined. I know those two square deals between his use and mine have over a million rounds each loaded on them. Sure theyve broke and been rebuilt. Theres not a progressive press made that wont eventualy break a part. There a mechanical device and that guarantees it. Nice thing about dillon and hornady is they stand behind there machines. There also much better quality machines then the lees. theres nothing worse to me then needing ammo for a shoot and having my press break at that point. Nice thing with my setup is i can allways rob parts from another to keep going but even that is a pain. I guess i sometimes seem like a bit of an equiptment snob on here. I realize that not everyone is into this hobby as deaply as I am and also that not everyone has the resorces to buy multiple expensive presses and even expensive casting gear and if your ideal of making bullets is cranking out a couple hundred a week the lee pots will serve you fine.
Hmmm. I've got over 100,000 rounds of wheelgun ammo through my poor old Pro1000 and four state LE championship trophies helped in part by the ammo that cheap Lee produced over twenty-something years ago.

I have about a fifth of that amount produced by my 550B, and whenever I need to change a caliber on that Dillon, it costs me four times as much as with other brands. Is the Dillon built well? Yes. Is it's engineering worth what they charge for it? Not EVEN close. No BS warranty? Yep--and you pay for it in advance when you buy the Dillon stuff.

I like Dillon, I just don't like the air of smug, false supremacy and superiority many Dillon owners project. The Hornady LnL stuff gives you just as good of value for less money and in some cases, more utility. Dillon's shotshell loader? You couldn't give me one. I'll take the MECs all day long.

Drills? B&D versus Makita or Dewault or Milwaukee? Good analogy up to a point. But where I see a lot of tools fail is with abuse. I prefer to take care of my tools. I find that when I take care of them and use them as they were intended to be used and manage my expectations with them, then I generally always get what I pay for.

I like my RCBS pot. I also like my Lee pot. But what the hell would I know about quality since I own a Cessna aircraft and I hear the same Dillon-like arguments from the Beechcraft owners. Difference is, I do a hell of lot more flying in my Cessna because it's more affordable to do so. Too many Beech owners--especially when avgas shot up to $6/gallon--had to do their flying in the hangar.

My parts, when I need them cost about a fourth what Beechcraft parts cost. My annual, likewise. That gives me a whole lot more money for actually flying and flying more.

I can buy two Lee moulds for the price of one RCBS (of which I have a number). If I prep the moulds correctly, use them as they were intended, don't abuse them, I get very good boolits. I have yet to wear one out. Period.

All things are not created equal, no doubt. Neither are all things created equal in value. I've done well for myself financially by following one simple rule on all purchases--be they cars, houses, clothes, guns, airplanes, groceries or whatever.

"Get as much quality as I possibly can for as little dollar amount comparable to the product as possible."

Recluse
03-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I hear ya five by five, Lloyd. :)

When I pull the handle on my Pro1000, then pull the handle on the 550, you betcha I can tell a difference. Same with the RCBS pot and the Lee pot.

I grew up pretty poor and poverty stung me hard. Especially when the high school I went to had a bunch of rich snobs even though by the early 70's, we were supposed to have become an "enlightened society that shed material values." :rolleyes:

After taking my GI bill and getting a college education, I was blessed to have done well for myself financially, but the wife (who also grew up in a lower-class neighborhood) and me have always lived like we could lose it all tomorrow. We stash, we save, we look for deals, we're religious about maintaining and taking care of our possessions and I'm fervent about getting the absolute best value out of a purchase that I possibly can while making sure it absolutely meets my immediate and future needs.

I appreciate quality 100%, as it's obvious you do. And I certainly didn't mean to come off as "scolding" or like an SOB. Please accept my apologies if I did or if you took it that way.

I guess when I hear/read about quality discussions, sometimes it just takes me back forty years when I would've given ANYTHING to have been able to have that brand new Schwinn five-speed Cherry Crate bicycle instead of the used Montgomery Wards cheap copy I had to settle for instead.

Some things, I reckon, you just never get over.

Like you, Lloyd, and many others here, I certainly appreciate quality. I also appreciate value. The trick is in finding an acceptable balance between the two that satisfies both our needs and wants.

Lloyd Smale
03-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I didnt take it as as a negitive post. You brought up good points and im the first to know that my opinion isnt everyones and is not better then anyones.

Slogg76
03-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Having used RCBS, Lee, and Lyman bottom pour pots I got a Lee. I really couldn't tell much difference in cast-ability. In no way could I justify the extra cost of the other brands. My Lee does not drip either.

Recluse
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
I didnt take it as as a negitive post. You brought up good points and im the first to know that my opinion isnt everyones and is not better then anyones.

Lloyd, I've been valuing your opinions for a long time. Not always in complete agreement (as in present discussion), but I've always paid careful attention to what you write--and I've learned quite a bit from you.

04heritage
03-16-2009, 11:15 PM
My buddy has the Lee and has had no problems with this dripping. He has the larger with the adjustable flow control.

muzzleblast
03-17-2009, 10:23 PM
I actually LIKE my Lee's drip... Sometimes, it makes the cutest little lead stalagtites...

:-)

Mk42gunner
03-17-2009, 11:07 PM
I actually LIKE my Lee's drip... Sometimes, it makes the cutest little lead stalagtites...

Actually, if you are ladle casting the drip will eventually self limit. I call it drip art.....

Robert

ddeaton
03-18-2009, 11:24 AM

:-)

They make pills for that.[smilie=1:

bjordan
03-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Probably about 15 years ago, I bought a bottom pour Lee. Its didn't work very well, and to be honest, I do not remember why. At that time, I was dating a woman in Memphis and her father gave me his old Lyman bottom pour. It will drip some, but I just shove a paper clip in the spout. I have melted down some really trashy lead with it and its works fine. I'd guess it has to be from the 50s. I gave the Lee pot to a friend years ago (I don't even remember who). I was working at the time...

Willbird
03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
if it was not for Lee most casters and loaders would not be here,you can bitch and crab about lee but their products are afordable.and I have had Lyman pots,I have a saeco the therm is gone.the lee works fine so does the potter. .do you really think that the cost diffence is there.I have seen the new pots interia and its air space.who makes the Lyman ands RCBS??lets see my Lee is 20yrs? old.my saeco is older.and saeco and lyman were the same.when redding bought saeco both pots went.

They only buy Lee because there is nothing CHEAPER :-). When the cheaper co comes along it is bye bye Lee.

Bill