PDA

View Full Version : Lee Hand Primer model XR

prs
02-28-2015, 09:27 PM
I've had this thing for quite some time, not really sure how long or why I bought it. Its been on the shelf until today. I had some 45 Colt cases to prime and decided to give it a whirl. I have the model that preceded this one, the one with the common round tray and slip in shell holders. Well, this XR model is awkward, has poor feel of how the primer is seating, and in 200 cases primed I had 6 mangled primers that had to be de-primed again and three that were crushed in the hand tool. Never had any trouble with the older version. I think this one goes back on the shelf or on a trade blanket. It the Ergo version any better?

prs

jmort
02-28-2015, 10:02 PM
I have numerous older round trays which work great and an Ergo which is OK, better than the square tray. I would use it if I did not have the round trays.

Maven
03-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Ben's experience with it, "Here is my experience with the new LEE IMPROVED ERGO VERSION ( not good ).

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-Priming-Tool (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?244477-Lee-Ergo-Prime-Priming-Tool)" mirrors mine and maybe mort's as well.

JohnH
03-01-2015, 10:33 AM
I'm not nearly as fond of the ERGO as I was of the original model. My ERGO and a neighbors XR (both are square tray models) have the same problem. The lifter for the primer feed (not the punch) sits just a tad low of the tray and lets the primer staging to ride on the edge of the primer on the lifter, causing a jam. The primer on the lifter trys to turn the staging primer over. The tray lid has a tit on the edge near the lifting tunnel and you can see where it is supposed to fit into a small slot and keep the tray lid in place. Don't happen, the tit is too small/slot too large, so when the jam occurs the lid lifts up and makes matters worse by allowing a primer to get under the staging primer. I use a clothes pin on the side of the tray to keep the lid on, and only let the primer feed trough fill to the edge of the raised triangle of the tray floor. This has helped a lot. As well, not holding the priming tool at a large angle helps too, hold it at just enough angle to let the primers feed. I also notice that some primers are worse than others at this, Federal Large Pistol give me fits, CCI LP are bad but not so much as the Federal, I've some Winchester LP I've not tried yet, time will tell. Over all, it will prime cases, but you can't deadhead the process, got to watch everything. Worst part of the problem is there is no feel to it. Don't get any warning a jam is about to occur, it just jams up and doesn't want to feed. Crappy. If the lifter had prolly .020 more length the problem wouldn't happen.

btroj
03-01-2015, 10:40 AM
I have the XR. I preferred the old style but this hasn't been the disaster it was made out to be. It took a bit of getting used to but once I figured it out I was happy.
I will be far happier if the handle doesn't break like the old style was prone to doing.

lxk308
03-01-2015, 12:38 PM
I gave up using my ERGO primer because of the constant jams. The ERGO was just a source of frustration. I tried using it at various angles but this did not help. I just threw it into the 'junk' drawer and went back to the Sinclair priming tool.

w5pv
03-01-2015, 01:33 PM
I use one of the old models,keep it lubed and cleaned,I just dump the primers in and watch for one that needs to be turned,to me it takes less time than trying to turn them right side up before you start to prime.I haven't tried one of the newer models as yet.

Ben
03-01-2015, 06:31 PM
The New Ergo Tool didn't work for me at all. If I had sent it back to Lee, I might have received one that worked , who knows ?

I removed the lawyer conceived primer feed mechanism from mine and converted it into a single feed tool.

It works 101 % now. Put a primer in place, slide the case in, close the lever, BINGO a nicely seated primer ! ! Mine is now assigned duty with my portable reloading kit.

I'm not recommending that anyone attempt this modification with their tool. It was just a decision that I made with my tool.

Sometimes a simpler design can offer an improvement in the "dependability arena."

The feed tray mechanism on mine doesn't jam anymore because it doesn't have one.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/IMG_20140609_143826_zps9fd28a83.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ben35049/media/IMG_20140609_143826_zps9fd28a83.jpg.html)

Ben

btroj
03-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Why they didn't just beef up the old style I don't know. The old round tray style just worked.
I had never seen the ergo model.

Ben, as usual, found a way to make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Ben
03-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Looks like Lee has improved it so much that it won't work now.

mold maker
03-01-2015, 07:48 PM
I still have 2 of the old models that have aleays done what I needed.
Like w5pv I use some lube on the friction points before each use, and they still work like new.
I did recently find 2 of the round covers on closeout. Mine have yellowed from sunlight, and now they Look like new also.

btroj
03-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Looks like Lee has improved it so much that it won't work now.

Like the old joke.

A mechanic says if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

An engineer says if it ain't broke it doesn't have enough features.

Over engineered maybe?

flyingmonkey35
03-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Computer engineer.

Fix it until its broken.

VHoward
03-01-2015, 08:56 PM
My ergo prime from lee functioned just fine for me. That being said, I still did not like it. Can't describe why I don't like it either.
http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Priming/Tools/Automatic-Priming-Tool.aspx I bought one of these back when they were about $80 and have not regretted it. Perfectly seated primer every time.

lxk308
03-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Great idea. ERGO meet Dremel. The tabs on the primer tray top broke after a few uses. Bye-bye primer tray.

Moonie
03-02-2015, 01:17 PM
I have had all 3, the previous round try (not the original with screw in shell holder), the XR and the ERGO. I like all 3 and while the newer 2 are not quite as easy to use as the previous I do like them. They all work well for me.

Ben
03-02-2015, 01:38 PM
We all have different experiences when we buy a car, a rifle, or a priming tool.

Mine experience with the Lee Ergo Priming tool wasn't so good. I'm glad those of you that have purchased one and have had good luck with the tool are happy with it.

Ben

Swede44mag
03-03-2015, 11:21 AM
I gave up using my ERGO primer because of the constant jams. The ERGO was just a source of frustration. I tried using it at various angles but this did not help. I just threw it into the 'junk' drawer and went back to the Sinclair priming tool.

After I broke 3 of the older lee auto prime tools over many years I bought a Sinclair priming tool.
If Lee only made a auto prime out of better materials they would have a great priming tool yes it would cost more.

Vulcan Bob
03-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Yes the old type auto primes were a hassle but they give me a good "feel" for the primer seating. I stocked up on repair parts and have a zip lock bag full of old parts for spares. I now have four refurbished old style auto primes for use, should last me till I wind up in a urn!

03-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Same here, broke one of my old ones, couldn't find my spare, bought an ergo and don't like it. I got it to work, but back to the old ones for me. Now have one setup for LP, one for SP and a backup... and a couple "CLEAR" new plastic covers that actually stay in place! Life is good now... ;)

robg
03-04-2015, 08:27 AM
i have 2 old stye round primer tray ones .broken 1 handle in 30 or so years ones set for small the other for large no problems and good feel.wont get new till i have too

mold maker
03-04-2015, 05:53 PM
I'll bet one of us with a machine shop could duplicate the part to put all our old style LEEs back in service. Maybe someone with foundry access could mass produce them.

EDG
03-04-2015, 09:09 PM
I am an engineer - so no more engineer jokes.
I have owned all of the Lee hand priming tools.

I never liked the original Lee Auto prime with the round trays because of the gap in the plastic around the priming punch.

I hated the trays on the later models and especially the tray tops. The tray tops appeared to be a concious effort to design an easily broken unreliable part. I did not really like the Ergo model mostly be cause of the trays.
It might be a good priming tool if you cut off the tray and single loaded it.

As it is I still use my original Lee hand priming tool that I paid less than $2 for years ago. I now have 6 or 7 of them.

I also have a K&M hand priming tool. I don't much like it either.

Ben
03-04-2015, 09:58 PM
EDG

It might be a good priming tool if you cut off the tray and single loaded it.

Yes, you're right. Once that is done, it works great.

Ben

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/IMG_20140609_143826_zps9fd28a83.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ben35049/media/IMG_20140609_143826_zps9fd28a83.jpg.html)

Vinne
03-04-2015, 11:51 PM
I sold my old Lee hand primer with the round tray for the "new improved" one with the square tray. I never had a problem with my old one and, as long as I was watching and consistent, I never had a primer go off. There is too much safety built in the new one and I wish I had kept the old one.

prs
03-05-2015, 04:53 PM
I am the original poster. I appreciate all the experience and I am at least glad that I am not a total dolt regarding the XR (similar to Ergo, only thumb operated). I may take it at my own risk to do a mod like Ben, but my old round tray one with the slip in shell holders is still in (knocking on wood) perfect condition. That one is SOOOOOOO simple and has such good feel for setting a primer gently upon the bottom of the shell's primer cavity.

Someone on page one said abut the old design's tray, "the tit is too small/slot too large". I dang near spit my coffee across the room! Ain't that life?

I am a lefty, so my tilt may be 180 degrees off kilter, but just for a cabin fever entertainment, I'm gonna go get that XR and give it another work-out.

prs

prs
03-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Well I did go get it out and studied it. I took it apart and looked for rough or burred surfaces, none. I used some Permatex "Tune-Up Grease" (clear silicone intended to be used on auto distributor cams that open points (remember points?) to lube all moving parts lightly. Took notice of the small tit and large slot. Tried it empty right and left handed, it seems to be designed for lefties, good for me. Sure worked smoother. I primed a dozen 45 Colt cases with no problems. I worried about the lube, is it supposed to have any lube? So I put it away and noticed the unused instructions in the box, so I read them. DUH?!?! It says to dismantle the tool and grease the contacting moving parts. Heck, I have never lubed a hand primer before? Guess I should have read the instructions.

prs