PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Reloading Press

Lefty Red
02-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Ok, last time I reloaded for a shotgun is back in the 80s! MEC 60 JR was the press everyone had.
If looking into getting back into it, for 12 and 20 gauge, what do I want to get? Another MEC?

Jerry

W.R.Buchanan
02-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Jerry: you really can't go wrong with a MEC. I don't actually have one as All mine are Pacifics 3, a Dillon and a Spolar, but 90% of my friends who load shotshells use MECS. and they are very good and simple machines that won't break the bank. Lots of them out there also.

I would recommend a Size Master over a 600 Jr. simply because the Sizemaster resizes the hulls and the Jr. doesn't. If you load for more that one gun you need this feature.

I would also recommend buying a machine for each gauge as changing them over is a PITA and you aren't going to save that much money by just buying and extra die set.

Check Ebay also and watch for sales at Midway and those places as these machines are plentiful and there may be a deal out there for you.

Make sure to buy one of the shotshell stacking trays for each ga. from MEC as they make boxing shells really easy. They also have really neat Hull and wad dispenser boxes for cheap that help with your set up and keep your bench neat.

Good luck

Randy

MT Chambers
02-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Mec 600 jr. is still the best, if you want to make 50-75 shells in 1 hour, another step up is the Mec grabber which will more then triple your output. Ponsness Warren make very good reloaders, both single stage and progressive, at higher cost. If seriously trap or skeet shooting, you will need one with the higher volume.........don't even consider the Lee plastic one. Used Mecs can be found in garage sales and gun shows as many have stopped reloading shotshells due to component prices.

garandsrus
02-28-2015, 07:35 PM
I have 4 MEC's and they are great machines. Progressive is the way to go if you are shooting much.

hunter49
02-28-2015, 07:49 PM
The mec 600 jr mark v is a more of a economical reloader and it does resize the brass section of the hull however, it does have a lower price compaired to the the other mecs but still is a quality shotshell reloader. I own one and have had absolutely no issues with it.

MarkP
02-28-2015, 08:10 PM
You may want to consider Pacific loaders 105, 155, 266. The 266's are getting pricy but they are top notch presses. I have Mec's, Pacifics, and Hornady loaders single stage and progressive.
If you are loading slugs a single stage would be my recommendation, if shooting trap, skeet or sporting clays leagues a progressive may be nice.
I can load 150 to 175 rounds / hr on my 266's and 300 to 350 rds/hr on my progressive machines (12, 20, 28) 410 progressive is 175 to 200 ish / hr. When using progressives you need to pay attention to sounds and feel and be on the lookout; primers not dropping, cocked wads, bridging shot with smaller gauges and ...????

Mauser48
02-28-2015, 08:16 PM
The 600 jr does resize the shells. I have the sizemaster and really like it, it resizes the shells with less effort and does better with steel based hulls. If you still have the 600 jr use it. If you shoot more than 400 a month get a mec grabber or 9000.

Lefty Red
03-01-2015, 12:13 AM
I decided to stick with the single stage. I will be loading about 100-200 rounds a month for training and it seems I will have to load my favorite #5 shot load for squirrel since I can't find it anywhere (except for the plated shot).

And yes, since Jr is getting his 20 gauge soon I am setting up one for each 12 and 20. I got a second SDP cause I didn't like switching out calibers.

Jerry

mtgrs737
03-01-2015, 01:41 AM
I have four MEC 600jrs and all resize. I picked them all up for $50 or less except for the 28 ga. and all came with the auto primer drop system which sells for $50 new as an add on device. If you look hard you can still find them. I also like the MEC machines because I like the adjustable charge bars that can be bought for them. The adj. shot and powder drop bars allow me to fine tune the drops and I never have to buy another bar or bushing. I also have two MEC 9000 progressive loaders that can load a lot of shells in an hour but they are more expensive and unless you are shooting a lot you will not need the volume they produce.

fast ronnie
03-01-2015, 02:26 AM
I have a Pacific DL 350 and a Mec 650. Both are progressives, both work well. Mec 650's go for about $1oo or so on ebay. When picking up hulls, sometimes they have to be sized. The 650 does not do this. neither does the DL350. MEC makes a good resizer that can usually be found on ebay, also.

Lefty Red
03-01-2015, 05:44 AM
I have decided on the Sizemaster.
Jerry