PDA

View Full Version : round ball

milltownhunter
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
i been wanting to no if a guy can use any type of lead in round balls to use as the they ride a patch down the bore just want them for plinking soft lead is kind of hard to get all the time would use soft lead for hunting

SPRINGFIELDM141972
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
You can use an alloy for RB. You may have to change your patch thickness, as it is more critical to loading alloy RB. Alloy is of course harder and does not engrave from the patch as well as its pure brother. I believe that the bad rap that alloy gets with patched BP is that the projectile slips/jumps in the patch upon firing and therefore becoming out of round with the axis of the bore, causing flyers. But if the patch is matched to the RB with a tight slip free fit they will fly true. To eliminate this problem, I use at tight fitting patch to the bore and I pre-patch the balls by wrapping the ball with a patch and tie it off with weak thread above the sprue cut. Using this method, I have never seen a difference in grouping between pure lead and alloys. Only difference in accuracy was POA.

Kind Regards,
Everett

mooman76
03-04-2008, 11:25 PM
I used WW's for years before I could get soft lead. They work fine!

milltownhunter
03-05-2008, 09:04 AM
thanks

TCLouis
03-05-2008, 03:33 PM
I think the main difference you will see other than overall size, if you hunt with them you may well get complete penetration rather than the flattened RB just under the skin on the offside.