PDA

View Full Version : Which powder measure to replace me Lee?

three50seven
02-28-2015, 04:04 PM
I am currently using the Lee Perfect Powder measure, but I am considering upgrading to something a little more sturdy. I am looking at the Lyman 55 and the RCBS uniflow, but would consider others. My LGS has a used RCBS with the stand on consignment for $85, is that a pretty good price?

VHoward
02-28-2015, 04:24 PM
I have found rcbs uniflow measures priced between $88 and $123 and that is without the stand new. The stands usually run in the $20 range. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that used measure with the stand as rcbs's lifetime warranty follows the equipment. It will last your lifetime and your kids.

twc1964
02-28-2015, 04:24 PM
Well ive had the same measure since i started reloading many years ago. Its a redding 3-br and i love it. It throws consistant charges with any powder ive tried. Even unique. Aka flaming dirt, works fine along with red dot and other flake powder. Its not cheap but i believe its worth it. Ymmv

L Erie Caster
02-28-2015, 05:25 PM
The Uniflo can be had with the small drum (for pistol) or the large drum (for rifle). Also they make 2 different size drop tubes, the large one has worked well with most loads for me. Using a baffle improves its ability to drop consistent charges with flake powders.
Nothing beats the Lyman 55 with stick powders.

country gent
02-28-2015, 05:43 PM
I have the rcbs uniflow, a couple Belding and Mulls, Harrels in 2 sizes, a redding br. along with dippers and one bushing type measure I made myself. All work well some better easier than others. The Harrels are premium measures more expensive but much smoother and consistent in use than others. The RCBS uniflow has had the micrometer adjustment added a baffle added the housing ground to true round nad a new drum made and fitted with side plates. It works good not as smooth as the Harrels and not quite as consitent withstick powders. THe belding And Mullas get used with black powder and throw good charges and are consistent. a plus is if you are handy you can make measure tubes and not have to readjust as often. Draw back is they are 2 hand operation. The bbushingtype I made works well with the pistol powders is quick and easy to use and once a bushing size is determined easy to reset. The little dandy and others that use the bushings can be very handy for pistol rounds and or smaller rifle rounds. Bushings are easily changed and repeat pretty close ussually. With most measures consistant operation and force speed is required to get utmost accuracy from them. A solid bench and mount make a big diffrence also.

three50seven
02-28-2015, 05:47 PM
I currently only load handgun calibers with Titegroup, Trailboss, Red dot, and 2400. I May start loading 30-30 in the future, so will be adding some other powders to that list.

What do you all think of the automatic dispensers like the Lyman Gen6? Worth the cost?

str8wal
02-28-2015, 08:37 PM
You should be able to find a used 55 for under 50 bucks. Last one I got was 35 and it is cherry. I have 6 55's now, and see no reason to go a different route. They just plain work!

MaryB
02-28-2015, 11:50 PM
Lee has 2 new powder measures coming out. One cast iron and heavy duty, http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/lee-classic-powder-measure the other a drum type measure http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/lee-autodrum-powder-measure. I just added a perfect powder measure and like it for the price.

three50seven
03-01-2015, 08:40 AM
I saw that the classic was coming out, and that is definitely something I will look into. I hadn't seen the autodrum yet though.

chsparkman
03-01-2015, 10:07 AM
I have RCBS, Redding and Hornady. My favorite is Hornady. It's been the most accurate with the most kinds of powder.

John Guedry
03-02-2015, 03:04 PM
I have a 55 and a Redding they both work very well.

slim1836
03-02-2015, 03:24 PM
I am waiting on a "Lyman Gen 6" to arrive, will use it along with my Hornady, which has done better than my "LEE Perfect Powder Measure. Use beam scales and 2 other electronic scales as the need arises.

Nothing like having backups, especially when TSHTF.

Slim

three50seven
03-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Slim-
Please report on the Gen 6 after you get a chance to put it through its paces. I'm still interested in these...

Le Loup Solitaire
03-02-2015, 09:48 PM
The RCBS Uniflow has been around for a long time and has worked well for many folks including me. Same for the Hornady and the Redding. it would be a tough job to prove that one of them is better/more accurate than another. LLS

seagiant
03-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Hi,
SAECO....nuff said!

Cmm_3940
03-02-2015, 10:27 PM
I just got the new(?) RCBS quick change measure. It has a larger hopper than the uniflow, and comes with rifle, pistol, and drain inserts. The quick change feature is pretty rough to work, but I don't really care. It's also easier for me to just dump it than to use the drain feature. For $10 more than the Uniflow, I thought it worth it to get the larger hopper and both the rifle and pistol inserts. I've only used Bullseye and H4198 in it so far, but it seems to be accurate. H4198 did take a bit more attention to consistent handle operation to get accurate loads.

jmort
03-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Redding

slim1836
03-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Here's info on the Gen 6, there is a separate video on empting and cleaning the unit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJYEnj6Je8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybVoG_aS34

I'm going to play with mine today as it arrived yesterday. I like the compactness of it already. If it performs as well as the video, it should be fine for my purposes. YMMV.

Slim

slim1836
03-05-2015, 01:03 PM
I just played with my new Lyman Gen 6 powder dispenser and I am happy with it so far.

I tried it out with Unique and IMR 4895 powder and both metered within 0.1 grain which is what they say it will do. Just make sure you have the pan under the spout as the 4896 dumped some powder out as I was loading the hopper. Powder was metered out in a decent manor (I did not time it), both with the plastic end piece attached to the spout and with it off.

Cleanup is rather tedious, but if you look at the 2 You Tube videos it makes better sense than Lyman's instructions. It's not too bad though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJYEnj6Je8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybVoG_aS34

I have had no other electronic powder dispenser to compare it to, but overall I believe its going to serve my purpose just fine. It was not a necessity, but rather a birthday gift to me.

Not trying to sway anyone into buying this product. I like the smaller size compared to others and the fact it has no memory does not bother me.

Slim

three50seven
03-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought the RCBS that my LGS had on consignment. Will post some pics up later. I haven't metered anything through it yet, but I'm already impressed with how robust and well-built it is compared to my Lee.

VHoward
03-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Any of the other major name brand powder measures are better than the Lee perfect powder measure. That being said, the lppm does work. Just have to fiddle with it.

VHoward
03-06-2015, 10:26 PM
<delete> Accidental duplicate.

three50seven
03-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Here's my purchase, it has some aftermarket extras on it. So far I'm impressed.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/07/70f6d5d6455678e17f8915f3d58715a5.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/07/dfad07f654cc08aa87c0785da8f19153.jpg

country gent
03-07-2015, 08:26 PM
A solid well built piece of equipment that will out last you your son and his son LOL. They are good measures. The baffle is a good addition as these were susceptible to powder packing from wieght in hopper. The micrometer setting is a big plus, write down load and setting they repeat fairly close.

country gent
03-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Another trick when setting is once getting close to mark or target charge. throw first 5 to 10 charges into a dixie cup and then check this allows everything to settle from the adjustment to where it really wants to be.

Motor
03-07-2015, 08:58 PM
three50seven, That's a good looking tool. Has the micrometer adjust too. Is there optional size drums for that model too?

If your not left handed you can turn the drum around. I suppose you knew that but what the heck. :)

I've been using a Uniflow since 1985 and have no complaints other than the fact it sucks with stick type powders but everybody knows this.

I use the small drum for everything I can (usually up to .308 Win.) I put a baffle in mine last year. Can't say I've noticed a difference. I do believe I got a very good one though. I have used it right down to empty at times with 'ball" powder. I only do this when I have too mind you and I weigh every charge. It's been dead on every time.

You asked about electronic disspencers. It's pricey but have you read the RCBS Chargemaster threads? I simply love mine. Got me back into stick powders. :)

Motor

three50seven
03-07-2015, 09:40 PM
If your not left handed you can turn the drum around. I suppose you knew that but what the heck.

Motor

Well...I tried to do that, but couldn't figure out how to do it and was too embarrassed to ask [emoji45] lol!

VHoward
03-07-2015, 09:57 PM
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/Uniflow_Powder_Measure_Instructions.pdf
From the exploded parts view, It looks like you remove the micrometer from the measuring cylinder and then you can slide it out of the body and turn it around so the handle is on the right and slide the measurinf cylinder in from the right and reinstall the micrometer.

Motor
03-07-2015, 11:35 PM
VHoward has it correct. If you notice there are 3 equally spaced holes to mount the handle too. This gives you the ability to set it up short or long.

Motor

three50seven
03-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys!

ironmonger
03-08-2015, 09:45 AM
I purchased a Lyman Accumeasue last year, and hunted down the additional rotors to complete the set. But as a testament to Lyman, I asked if they could tell me about the rotors so that I could make some and they sent the measurements that would have allowed me to duplicate the originals. Above and beyond customer service.

My Pacific micrometer powder measure dates from the late 70's and at the time Pacific was a division of Hornady, and looks like the Hornady Lock n Load they currently produce. Happy with both of them.

paul

slim1836
03-08-2015, 11:53 AM
That looks like my Hornady in a different color sans the stand.:razz:
You will like it.

Slim

L Erie Caster
03-08-2015, 10:16 PM
That is an old one that doesn’t look like it has been used much at all. Great buy.
Don’t know where I heard it but Hornady is supposed to have licensed theirs from RCBS.

This is also an old one with new hopper and cap. I set it to drop powder on the down stroke to lessen the compaction that I found vibration sometimes causes. The baffle has been removed in the pic.

dragonrider
03-08-2015, 11:31 PM
I replaced my Lee's with two Uniflow's, one large and one small.