PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 577 rifled musket shooters.

dromia
02-28-2015, 02:45 PM
I have hankering for a mould of the CS Gardener bullet. I also need a new mould of the original Enfield Pritchett along with a shortened version for slow twist rifles like the P53 at the shorter distances.

To this end I have started a couple of discussion threads over on the NOE forum to see if we can get Al to run these moulds.

We only need ten to get this going.

Surely I can't be the only person looking for moulds for these bullets. So if you are interested, get over to the NOE forum and say so as.

Discussion threads are here:

Pritchett http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,679.0.html

Gardener http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,678.0.html

pworley1
02-28-2015, 02:55 PM
You can usually find the Lyman 577213 on ebay for about $40.

dromia
02-28-2015, 03:23 PM
It is a Pritchett and Gardener I'm after I have the Lymans, RCBS/Ohaus, BMF GBs Lee etc must have a couple of dozen Minie moulds but only one short Pritchett and no Gardiners.

Hence my post.

.22-10-45
03-04-2015, 01:43 AM
When I first saw post..I thought you were refering to the explosive Gardner..now that one would be a hoot!

fouronesix
03-04-2015, 08:55 PM
dromia,
I know the type bullets you're talking about. While I have a couple of original Enfields that I do shoot with conventional (US style) Miniés, I haven't gotten into the "world of the skirmish or re-enactment". I simply don't live even close to an area where that is done. If I lived close to those activities I'd be right in there!

If you haven't seen these yet, here's a couple of videos on the subject. I thought the guy did a really good job in documenting some "rapid" fire type shooting. He also has a tutorial video how he makes those pop-apart type paper cartridges- which may or may not be allowed in certain competitions??
http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthread.php/6724-Pritchett-bullet-mould/page2

dromia
03-05-2015, 02:10 AM
Thank you for that link, I have seen it before he has the cartridge making process down to a fine art.

Reusable cardboard tubes as the inner powder cylinder have been a cartridge making short cut ever since I got into shooting the Enfield rifle muskets forty years ago.

His using a plastic tube is the next logical step, however personally I don't know if I'll go there it just seems a modernity to far and just stretching the "spirit of the original" a bit too much. Who knows if I get hacked off with my current cartridge making method it is certainly a good way of making quality rounds that load consistently in an efficient way.

Nobade
03-05-2015, 08:29 AM
The reply I got over at the N-SSA board said there is a guy there who swages Prtichett bullets and sells them to that community. Since they are pretty much the only people in this country that regularly shoot rifled muskets, it seems he has the market mostly to himself!

-Nobade

dromia
03-29-2015, 02:47 AM
Bump!

Good Cheer
04-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Was the .55" diameter for use in a .577" bore? That would be a lot of paper.

fouronesix
04-03-2015, 10:23 AM
A thicker paper cartridge, or thinner paper of two wraps, easily takes up the windage between .550 and .575.