PDA

View Full Version : Should I bolt a D/650 to the bench? or use the stong mount

Just Duke
03-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Should I bolt a D/650 to the bench? or use the stong mount?
I would either make a wood box to bolt the press to or raise the table. Looks like in all the pics of the press with the strong mount you don't have so much press hanging over the table.
TIA
Duke

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2008, 10:33 AM
When it comes to progressives, you're best off to get them in the most ergonomic position possible. This generally means either buying a strong mount or building a riser of your own. In either of those cases, you will find the press much more comfortable to use. The decision on wether to build or buy a strong mount can be helped by considering if one needs extra bins/trays for bullets/brass.

I have a Hornady LnL and the Dillon strong mount is easily adapted to it. I considered doing so, but decided to build my own mount with hardwood that has a place for a brass bin, a bullet bin and a receiving bin. Ended up much cheaper building my own out of leftover hardwood I had. Could be done in pine as well.

In either case, I would definitely recommend a raised mount for any progressive.

Regards,

Dave

standles
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM
I put both the 550 and the 650 on a strong mount. I reload standing and it puts the press at a great ergonomical height.

The 1050 I mounted direct to the bench as it seemd good to go out of the box.

Steven

garandsrus
03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Duke,

It depends on whether you are going to stand or sit while reloading... If you are going to sit (which is what I do) you don't want to use a strong mount. The press would pretty much be at eye level or higher. If you are going to stand, you need to raise the press somehow to a comfortable height.

John

Just Duke
03-04-2008, 11:06 AM
So I am 6' 2" and looks like 38 inch to the top of the bench would be optimum height?

NVcurmudgeon
03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I didn't begin to realize all the speed and comfort of progressive loading until I raised my Square Deal on a homemade mount. I also have brass in a large bin close to station #1, and a wooden boolit tray mounted in a vise, pointed toward station #4. Standing is much more efficient and back-friendly.

MightyThor
03-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Even thought I bolted mine at bench level I still had to build a steel mount that hooked to the bench because I found that with the amount of the press that had to hang over the edge of the bench to clear the handle I was still having the whole thing flex more than I liked. I built a steel base that bolted to the top of the bench and to the face of the bench.

hotwheelz
03-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I am 6'1" and I like to sit while reloading my bench height is 40" and i mounted my 650 and my 550 right to the bench.http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg177/hotwheelz-1/Picture169.jpg

Throckmorton
03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I have my 550 bolted directly to a very sturdy bench,and I' see no reason to change it.I built the bench a bit taller to suit me and my reach.
If you don't 'have' to have them,spend the money on bullets and powder.

Sprue
03-05-2008, 07:35 PM
My bench is also 40" in height. No need for a strong mount here. I sit on a soft stool when using ole blue. But it all depends on your -bench height and you. I'm 6'1" tall, my bench was built by me with plained, rough oak. It accommodates 3 presses in which I can sit or stand.

I like to tinker/make my own things. Should I have the urge to want a strong mount I would improvise, but thats me.

Enjoy your updates/upgrades

yarro
03-05-2008, 10:12 PM
My bench was low so I have mine on a strong mount and I have a stool that sits me at the correct height. Clamp it to the bench first and see if it seems to be at the right height to comfortably load for you. If it needs to be 8-9 inches higher then you need the strong mount. After I move this summer, I will make riser for my Lyman 450 and Star Luber to get them up to a comfortable height.

-Yarro

Lloyd Smale
03-06-2008, 05:01 AM
I like them raised. Ive got a strong mount on my 550 and a homemade on that allows me to quickly swap square deals. Ive got 5 of them and i made a rack for them to hang and just swap them out on the strong mount i made using wingnuts. Takes about 3 minutes to pull one off hang it and put another on. I just took a piece of 4 inch steal pipe and welded a top and bottom plate on and offset the top plate to hang out over the bench a tad. Drilled holes in the bottom plate to mount it to the bench. Drilled holes in the top plate and welded nuts under the holes and made so bolts with wings on them to bolt the press down with. works pretty slick. Aint as pretty as a strong mount but does the job.

Just Duke
03-06-2008, 06:11 AM
That is a great setup there Hotwheels. Thanks for sharing the pic and thanks all for your input.
Duke

ddeaton
03-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I use the strongmount on a 650. Only thing I dont like is while sitting I cant snag a look at the powder in the cases as they go by. I guess I should get a powder check? Anyone use these?

RFWobbly
03-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I agree with the above. It all depends on the height of your bench. The best press height is up around 36-42" or so.

So if your "bench" is an old 1960's steel office desk from the thrift store, then the strong mount would be a definite advantage. But if you're building your bench, then simply build it slightly higher.

The biggest advantage I can advise you to do with any press is to mount it to an 18" square piece of 3/4 plywood or 3/8 aluminum plate. Then you can clamp this in multiple places to the corner of any sturdy bench or substantial dining room table without fear of breaking the top. The best part is that you can unclamp and remove the press to have that bench space for some other project when you need.

Space is, after all, the final frontier!

shotman
03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
one note if you mount to bench watch the length of the right front mounting bolt it will hit the end of the handle and you wont get the right powder drop rick

Just Duke
03-14-2008, 07:58 PM
The Strong Mounts arrived and I installed them on a 38 inch tall bench. Perfect height for reloading. Thanks for your help guys.
Duke