PDA

View Full Version : Bestest for slug hunting.....

Lefty Red
02-28-2015, 03:59 AM
Truely, I didn't kno where to post this so I will throw it here.

Way back before cellular phones and an Atari 2600 was THE gaming system to have, we didn't have a dedicated slug barrel for our one and only hunting gun here in Southern Illinois. Shotguns were all that was allowed and we normally just shot whatever was available from Wally World though my 28" MOD 12 gauge.

Well summers of throwing hay and weekends of delivering pizzas allowed me to save up for a new shotgun and it had the BRAND NEW REM-CHOKE system in it. Yep, a Wingmaster with the ability to switch your choke. No matter I shot everything from quail to squirrels with a IM, now I cold use the "correct" choke according to the ad in Field and Streams. They even had chokes for slugs. And even at the $50 price tag some said it was worth it and pushed the sluggun out to 100 yards with clean kills.

Fast forward to today. Now we have whole guns setup for slug hunting. Damn near just oversized rifles shooting a 12 gauge saboted slug out to 150 yards and some 20 gauges out to 200 yards with clean kills!

So my long winded question is this..............are rifled choked tubes worth it? I went to the Air Force before using any of them and when I got back I had a full rifled barrel. And I can't find anyone but one friend that actually used them and he liked them.. I have read and heard nothing but bad things about them. I was thinking of getting one and turning one of my old camoed Mossy 500's 24" VR barrel into a cheap back up slug barrel. Was going to add some clamp on sights and the rifled choke tube, if I can find one and if its worth it.

Jerry

.30-06 fan
02-28-2015, 03:08 PM
one way to go is if you can get a RB to be pie plate accurate at 100 yards they are inexpensive simple to make and kill deer.

not talking from experience, not yet. however that's my plan, the RB route.

cheers.

if you can get minute of deer at 100 yards with RB without rifled choke, i would not bother with one.

DougGuy
02-28-2015, 03:12 PM
If you got a spare 500A just throw a rifled slug barrel on it! I can cloverleaf a playing card with mine @100yds using plain old Foster slugs from WW. Once you get it sighted in, they keep zero really well as long as your slugs are from the same lot number. Change lot number? Need to re-zero.

bikerbeans
02-28-2015, 03:28 PM
I tried a rifled choke tube on a Beretta 303 and the accuracy was poor with sabots, winchester partition golds and Hornady sst. A friend tried the same tube in his benelli, using federal barnes expander sabots and also had bad accuracy.

BB

Lefty Red
02-28-2015, 04:08 PM
I have a "few" extra 500s laying around. Seems these things are cheap and no longer useful as the more expensive shotguns with the prettier color schemes. :)
I have a "Supreme" 500a in 12 gauge that has the ported 24" rifles barrel with the scope mounted to the barrel on that cantivier (sp?) mount. Clover leafs at 100, all day long any day of the week with those cheap Remington Bulk Pack from Wally World. Oh, and it had the 28" VR ported barrel with four chokes. $275 OTD! Seems like the last owner traded it in for a "better" slug gun. Poor guy. :)
And just put a 20 ga version on layaway for Jr. The Youth model has the cheap polymer stock and forearm, but it had the 24" rifled ported barrel and cantivier mount as well. $275 as well, but only one barrel.
But was thinking I could setup a cheaper backup/loaner slug gun one the extra guns I have. But guess I will just look for another cheap rifled barrel for it. I can use the 24" VR with a full choke and the Fire Sights for the squirrels in the tall trees in the Shawnee down by the river.