PDA

View Full Version : Inherited Rohm GMBH Model 66 22lr

SciFiJim
02-27-2015, 10:31 PM
I inherited this revolver from my Grandfather. It finally came into my possession after my mother recently passed away. It probably hasn't been removed from the holster since my grandfather passed away in 1978. Today I gave it a good scrubbing with a toothbrush and Ed's Red. Before cleaning, it felt gummy like it had been cleaned with WD-40 and then put away. I remember my grandfather carrying this in his pickup as a snake gun. I vaguely remember shooting it at least once as a small child. The pistol is part of family history now and will be handed down it turn to my son or grandson. This it my first revolver and my question is; where does it need lubrication and what kind?

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47/SciFiJim_photobucket/20150227_175800_zpse4jidust.jpg (http://s596.photobucket.com/user/SciFiJim_photobucket/media/20150227_175800_zpse4jidust.jpg.html)

crazy mark
02-28-2015, 01:38 AM
I have one I bought in 1978 new that has the 22 LR and Mag cylinders. I just use a very light coat of break free or marvel mystery oil after I shoot mine before I put it up. It actually shoots pretty good. Mine has had maybe 100 rds of LR and 50 rounds of Mag thru it.

shooting on a shoestring
02-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Scifijim that's a cool little gun with a good story.

Far as lubing it, pull the cylinder out of it, lube the base pin with STP. Then put some on the ratchet star on the rear of the cylinder and a dab on the ratchet hand that's recessed in the frame.

If you're good to take it all apart, I recommend using a drop of motor oil on all the pivot points and on the sear. Then use a liberal amount of automatic transmission fluid as a rust preventative on everything including the screws and reassemble.

If you don't want to take it apart, get a squirt can of gun oil and squirt it in the action from under the trigger, cock the gun and squirt down in front of the hammer and any place else you can squirt into the action then let it drip dry.

on the outside of the gun, inside the bore and inside the chambers use automatic transmission fluid then wipe off the excess. Marvel Mystry oil is ok but doesn't prevent rust as well nor as long.

I also have quit using patches and use cotton balls. I just pull off a tuft and thread a bit through a slotted jag and run it through the barrel and cylinder. Cotton balls get into the corners of the riflings better. They're also very easy to use, easy to store and very cheap to buy and work better than patches.

Hope you get to run some shells through that cute thing soon. Enjoy the memories and make some more!

44MAG#1
02-28-2015, 08:42 AM
You don't want STP on the base pin in cold weather. Makes it hard to cock in cold weather. Only stp on the rachet and the "bushing" in front of the cylinder. In hot weather I have used stp on the base pin but not when the gun can get cold.

minmax
02-28-2015, 08:52 AM
I bought the model 63 which is the same only in 38 spl. Cool little gun for plinking. I highly recommend not taking it apart other than removing the base pin and cylinder.

pworley1
02-28-2015, 10:22 AM
I have one of those from back about 75. I use Ed's oil (equal parts of kerosene and atf ) on all the contacting surfaces.