PDA

View Full Version : Dillon BL550?

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
02-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Does anyone have one? It's a Rl550B without the powder measure or priming system.

I was planning on a getting a 550B and just not using the priming system, since I, in a strange way, enjoy sitting in front of the tv, inspecting cases, and hand priming.

I was also thinking of using the lee auto disk pro with the new NOE powder through expanders (Which I have in 3 calibers now and love) so that I could have an M-die type expander without needing 5 stations.

its also $135 less than the 550B.

jmort
02-27-2015, 04:55 PM
That is the model I would get. I happily hand prime, and hand decap for that matter. The BL550 would be perfect for me.

engineer401
02-27-2015, 11:07 PM
You may want the return bracket and delrin shoulder washer at the base of the press for the pro auto disk to return. The part numbers are 13885 and 18086. The cost about $15 for both. That is my plan.

Six Shooter Steve
02-28-2015, 09:06 AM
I have looked into the BL550 to load some of my match rifle. I load all my pistol on my 650 but the BL550 looks to be the ticket for precision rifle loading. Will beat the heck out of my single stage for sure.

lpspinner
02-28-2015, 11:08 AM
The Basic loader is a great way to get into the Dillon's presses if you're not going to use the priming or their powder dispensing system. The nice part is that it's all upgradable in the future should you want to go that way. When I bought my first Dillon, I still primed on my Lee single stage and used the Dillon with my Lee powder thru die with the adjustable charge bar. Didn't need to use the chain or any other activation method. Worked great till I started getting more comfortable with the Dillon powder system.

cajun shooter
03-02-2015, 11:20 AM
I have purchased two of these presses in the past because of having limited funds. It cost me more over time but I was able to use the presses as I was adding the improvements when I had the funds.
I added the priming system first as it was nice not having to handle those small primers. Then came the powder measure and so on. My first one took about a year to complete to where it was a regular RL 550 with all the bells and whistles. It's the hard way to obtain a Dillon but it works if you are short of funds. Later David

W.R.Buchanan
03-11-2015, 04:07 PM
The Dillon BL 550 is essentially a 4 station Turret Press. The difference being you rotate the cartridge instead of the dies.

For dong anything less that full progressive loading this is the next step down.

This press competes directly with Redding T7, PW Metal Matic II, C&H 444, and other turret style press.

The main difference is that this one can be upgraded to 550B status easily and when you decide you need to.

The other ones can't and they will always be what they are to begin with.

The only thing you have to consider is whether or not you will need the Powder measure and priming system soon. If so you might be better off just buying the 550 B instead.

I personally don't prime my Rifle Cases on my 550B. so I don't use that function unless I am doing pistol cases. But I do use the Dillon Powder measure and drop system, and with fine grained powder there is nothing better.

I would point out that I have about 4-5 Dillon Powder Measures and they come up frequently for sale individually so you don't have to buy new ones. My .223 setup on the D550B has my oldest PM on it which is probably 30 years old, and it works perfectly.

Here's the deal,,, You can't go wrong either way, and you damn sure won't lose any money as this stuff holds it's value better than just about any other brand.

Just get one and get cracking. You'll be glad you did.

Randy

garym1a2
03-11-2015, 04:36 PM
If I was dealing with already primed brass in 9mm, 40s&W or 45ACP and useing a lee powder measure I would not get a Dillon 550. My Lee Pro1000 with brass already primed will load more than twice as fast as my new RL550B. Where my Dillon seems to run great is that it has a good priming system and a super powder measure.

I could never get my pro1000 nor loadmaster to prime on the press, but once I have primed brass they are very fast with the case feeder.

Does anyone have one? It's a Rl550B without the powder measure or priming system.

I was planning on a getting a 550B and just not using the priming system, since I, in a strange way, enjoy sitting in front of the tv, inspecting cases, and hand priming.

I was also thinking of using the lee auto disk pro with the new NOE powder through expanders (Which I have in 3 calibers now and love) so that I could have an M-die type expander without needing 5 stations.

its also $135 less than the 550B.

firebrick43
03-12-2015, 10:54 AM
After owning the dillon powder measure and the pro autodisk I would suggest buying the dillon and having one of the guys turn you a custom powder funnel to the M die specs. In fact in other threads I recall the NOE is looking/developing that right now but I don't know if/when that will happen? I used my autodisk on my dillon a couple times and it worked but the dillon fit better and was easier to adjust.