PDA

View Full Version : saved some $$ today!

duckey
02-27-2015, 02:49 PM
I am switching gears from loading pistol rounds to loading for my 30-06 and .375 H&H. So I have been reading up. I recently went onto Larrywillis.com and read and learned quite a bit. I had planned to order the Hornady bullet seating depth tool with the appropriate modified cases $32 for the gauge and $6 for each modified case. Well Larry willis gave me a great money saving tip. He uses once fired brass for his bullet seating depth gauge! He suggested cutting with a dremle, 3 slits in the case neck which will allow the bullet tip to slide back and forth snugly but not to loose. I found that I just needed to chamfer the inside of the neck slightly and I had myself a bullet seating depth gauge. That tip there just saved me about $45! I am also looking at the Hornady head space gauge and the adapters, plus the adapters for measuring the bullet seating depth. These gauges and adapters on Midway are $72 before shipping(for 30-06 and .375 H&H magnum). Larry wills has a nice looking tool he sells for $98 plus shipping. Has anyone used his tool? If so please provide some feedback. The rifles I shoot are out of the box guns, wooden stocks, hunting rifles....with that said I am not looking to enter any long range contest but I am simply trying to reload correctly and tune up my rounds as best I can for each rifle.

jonas302
02-27-2015, 04:24 PM
I measure my max oal a similar way by I don't slit the neck if I have to much neck tension I seat a bullet and pull it to make it slide in tightly but not to tight when I close the bolt I have never had any want for the other tools they seem like a way to measure a non existent problem considering we are not talking bench rest guns