PDA

View Full Version : rear sight clicks

soldierbilly1
02-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Gents:
I just bought a range gun, a Taurus 66, and I noticed that in the manual there is no indication as to how much each click is worth on the adjustable rear sight at a known distance. hhmm
I called Taurus and they told me the information was 'proprietary.' yeah, okay. super trade secrets here:bigsmyl2:

So, I got out my dial gauge and went to work. I don't have super reliability in my results as my set up was not too solid.

The windage was about 0.0025 in per click and elevation about 0.0045 per click. I have a 6" sight radius and these two results were reasonably confirmed on the range with live ammo. Btw, the difference is evident when you crank the two on close inspection.
Anyone ever check this on a handcannon?
Why would they not make both with the same thread pitch? sounds screwy!
thanks
bill boy

376Steyr
02-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Odd that the two "clicks" are two different values, one twice the other. On the other hand I can see Taurus' point on not publishing the data. They would need to provide a table with different value for every sight radius (2" vs. 4" vs. 6" barrels, with differing frame sizes adding to the variables) and then they would have to deal with customers who are unhappy that their particular gun doesn't exactly match the values in the table. Plus they would need to provide the values in both English and metric units. Much easier to just tell you it is a secret.

44MAG#1
02-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Now that you know the values why worry about it?

44man
02-28-2015, 09:38 AM
With a quality sight, clicks are the same but not on cheap ones. Ruger's are bad and I replaced the screw many times. They wore out fast.
Depends on threads but the detentes kill many. TC and S&W came out with front sights that were adjustable and both failed.
Seen many sights that you turn up and see POI go down, also the reverse.
Quick way to figure is distance from back of rear sight to front of front sight times amount to move in inches divide by distance to target in inches. Answer is in .001" of sight movement.

soldierbilly1
03-05-2015, 08:16 PM
With a quality sight, clicks are the same but not on cheap ones. Ruger's are bad and I replaced the screw many times. They wore out fast.
Depends on threads but the detentes kill many. TC and S&W came out with front sights that were adjustable and both failed.
Seen many sights that you turn up and see POI go down, also the reverse.
Quick way to figure is distance from back of rear sight to front of front sight times amount to move in inches divide by distance to target in inches. Answer is in .001" of sight movement.
Thanks for the response.
Setting up a dial gauge and watching the needle move is indeed educational!
Btw, I like your quick and dirty calculation!
Billboy
Billboy

Petrol & Powder
03-06-2015, 11:14 AM
I have doubts that Taurus even cares about different barrel lengths and sight adjustments. I bet they copied the thread pitch for a common S&W revolver and use the same screws on all of their guns.

bhn22
03-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Its usually the position of the detents that causes issues like this. If the detents aren't exactly identical, uniformity goes right out the window. I take it you change your sight settings often, since this situation has you so upset? Are you using the revolver for silhouette, or long range shooting?

C. Latch
03-06-2015, 05:56 PM
I called Taurus and they told me the information was 'proprietary.'

That's code for 'we copied S&W and that's all we know'.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that for many rear sights, while they slide left and right, they do not slide up and down, they pivot.

As such, you need to account not only for the movement per click, but also the distance from the pivot point of the sight to the bearing surface of the screw and then from there to the blade itself. This allows you to calculate the actual movement of the blade itself, however, this calculation is dynamic and will change a bit as the sight moves through its range of adjustment.

44man
03-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Movement is based on thread pitch. But was stated the detentes must work. Screws are the same for each sight and only barrel length changes the amount each click moves POI.
I found a 10" barrel for IHMSA moved my POI 1,2,3,4. 1" at 50 meters and so on. Short barrels will move POI a LOT more per click.
What is disgusting is to have a sight move down when you clicked up or not go full movement.
Cheap scopes are a big pain and all red dots suffer too. They might be marked for 1/4" at 100 but good luck with that. Red dots are bad because of where the pad touches the small inner tube. If the tube is low for elevation, the windage pad if screwed in can lower the tube at the same time, throwing elevation off. Also every other way because the end of the pad is never in the center of the tube.
To find what each click does with your barrel length, shoot a group and move the sight up so many clicks and shoot again, then measure with a ruler. Then you can figure what each click did.