PDA

View Full Version : Distant Thunder Front Sight with Octagon Globe

101VooDoo
02-27-2015, 12:36 PM
I was going to order one of DT's front globe sights, and saw an octagon version listed as an option. This would go on an octagon barreled 1886.

Only picture I could find was the small one on DT's site.

Anyone have one of these? If so, do you like the look?

Don McDowell
02-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Haven't got one of those, just the round one, but it would surely be something a bit different than what everybody else has. Thinking serious about ordering one plus a couple extra inserts.

101VooDoo
02-27-2015, 09:08 PM
I went ahead and mailed a check today for the octagon version. I'll post some pics when it arrives.

BrentD
02-28-2015, 09:26 AM
101VooDoo,
I wasn't aware that Jim was making the octagon for sale. He has one on one of his own rifles that I've seen but I thought it was a one-off project. If he is selling now that ought to attract a little extra clientele. He makes really good stuff, to day the least. He also made his rifle action (Hepburn) from scratch too, and wins matches with it. Your money is well spent.

101VooDoo
02-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info Brent.

I hadn't heard of Distant Thunder before, I was actually looking for a Baldwin front sight when I came across Jim's website. One of the local BPCR shooters had recommended the Baldwin over an MVA. The built in angle for mid/long range sold me on Jim's sight.

Definitely an old school shopping experience; print and fill out this form, and then mail me a check. 8-)

BrentD
02-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Jim's kinda an old school guy. He is a lot of fun and a hell of a shot. He is one of the very few to win an NRA regional with paper patches. He makes great stuff, and if you want a new insert - with just about any sort of crazy design you can dream up, he will make it. I have DT front sights on almost everything.

We have been comparing notes on how to get lever guns to shoot paper patches and blackpowder. He goes a little stir crazy up there in the snow about this time of year...

John Boy
02-28-2015, 01:16 PM
http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTGraphics/Products/OctagonGlobe-cropped.jpg

This new version of the Distant Thunder Front Sight at left is designed to compliment the octagon barrel found on most BPC rifles. This new sight will be offered in both the mid-range and long-range configurations to cover shooting from 200 to 1200 yards. It is currently available in 3/8" dovetail and will be offered in .450" (Shiloh) and 7/16" (C. Sharps) dovetails as well. As with our round globe sight you can order with a standard insert set and/or any number and style of custom inserts*. You can taylor the custom inserts to your shooting distances, the type of targets and most importantly your eyes. These new sights are CNC machined from solid bar stock just like our round front sight and our tang sight. They have the same internal level which is shaded inside the globe so it is protected and in the same focal plane as the front aperture making a proper sight picture much easier.
New octagon front sight with level and standard inserts…$163 plus shipping (see (http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTGraphics/Products/OctagonGlobe-cropped.jpg)chart (http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTPages/OrderFormOct2014.pdf))
*The price may need to be adjusted for additional or custom inserts. Call or email for pricing.